No. 1 fighter Aaron Cook looking for a new country

1 Comment

When we first heard that world No. 1 taekwondo fighter Aaron Cook was disgruntled after being left off Team GB’s London squad, allegedly out of spite, we wrote him an open letter inviting him to come compete for USA’s red, white, and blue.

Now that might actually be an option.

“In three years I may be under a different flag,” Cook told the BBC Monday. “My dream is to win an Olympic gold in Rio for Team GB, but it’s going to be extremely difficult for me to move forward after everything that’s happened.”

Cook decided to leave he Team GB academy in 2011 to instead hire independent coaches after a poor showing at Worlds. In perceived retaliation, the British team then chose 103rd-ranked fighter, Lutalo Muhammad, to take his place. Cook eventually lost three very public appeals with the Team GB’s board and the World Taekwondo Federation.

His talented replacement, Muhammad, ended up winning bronze in London, somewhat vindicating the decision. But the scars still remain for Cook and four years may not be enough time to heal.

“I’m world number one, I’m reigning European champion, I’ve beaten the guy who they selected in front of me and the Olympic gold and silver medalists this year,” Cook said. “I should have been at that Olympics.”

He then added that he felt the decision was person and that if the people responsible don’t resign or get fired then he and his team will realistically look at competing for another nation in 2016.

So I reiterate: Aaron, come fight for Team USA. We love a winner.

IOC expects decisions on Russian doping cases next month

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Investigators at the International Olympic Committee expect to have “a number” of doping cases involving Russians at the Sochi Olympics resolved by the end of November, but they have no plans to dictate the eligibility of these athletes for next year’s Winter Games in PyeongChang.

The leader of an IOC delegation in charge of reviewing 28 cases involving athletes at Sochi wrote to the head of the IOC Athletes Commission this week to update the timeline of cases stemming from a report detailing a Russian doping scheme at the 2014 Olympics and beforehand.

Denis Oswald said that of the cases his committee is reviewing, priority has been given to those involving athletes looking to compete in PyeongChang. Top priority goes to six cross-country skiers whose provisional suspensions expire Oct. 31.

Oswald also said his committee would rule on these athletes’ results for Sochi, but will not determine their eligibility for PyeongChang, instead handing over evidence to their respective sports federations to decide.

The IOC also appointed a task force to look at the Russian doping scandal as a whole, the results of which could have wider repercussions on the country’s eligibility at next year’s Olympics.

In a separate letter sent to worldwide sports leaders, IOC President Thomas Bach said only that the Schmid Commission is continuing its evaluation and that “I hope that the IOC Executive Board will still be able to take a decision this year because none of us want this serious issue to overshadow” the upcoming Olympics.

The updates come amid a growing chorus of calls for a timely decision and for Russia’s ouster from PyeongChang.

The IOC commissions are operating off information from the McLaren Report, the first part of which was released in July 2016.

In explaining the timeline, Oswald wrote that because the Russian scheme involved exchanging dirty urine samples with clean ones, it took time to adopt methods to verify that samples had been tampered with — in part by finding evidence of scratch marks on collection bottles that had been opened and re-sealed.

“The task has not been easy in both establishing a methodology in an area in which there are no established protocols,” he wrote, “and then moving through the necessary scientific analysis of each individual sample in a way which would withstand legal challenge.”

MORE: USOC boss calls for immediate action on Russian doping

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

Two-time Olympian becomes first woman to lead U.S. national swim team

AP
Leave a comment

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — Two-time Olympian Lindsay Mintenko has been picked to lead the U.S. national swimming team. She is the first woman to hold the title.

USA Swimming made the announcement Wednesday.

Mintenko replaces Frank Busch, who retired Oct. 1 as managing director. She has been a member of the national team staff since 2006.

During her swimming career, Mintenko won gold medals as a U.S. team captain at the 2000 and 2004 Olympics 800m freestyle relay and added a silver in 2004 on the 400m freestyle relay.

USA Swimming also announced an organizational restructuring that will place all technical divisions, including the national team, under the oversight of chief operating officer Mike Unger.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

VIDEO: Michael Phelps shares being bullied, depressed in film