485903_ORIG

FIBA investing in 3-on-3 hoops

Leave a comment

Volleyball has beach, cycling has BMX, swimming has open water, and badminton exists, so why not 3-on-3 hoops at the Olympics?

FIBA, basketball’s international governing body, is strongly considering a push to make 3-on-3 at the Olympics a reality as soon as the Rio Games in 2016, and the success of the world championships in Spain last week is encouraging the masses.

Serbia won both the men’s senior and under-18 tournament, with the U.S. taking bronze and silver respectively and the French ending up with whatever was left. In August, Team USA took gold at the inaugural women’s world tournament in Athens.

“What FIBA wants is to create a new generation of players,” said Jim Tooley, CEO of USA Basketball. “And take the game into new places. You saw here teams from Guam, from Nepal.”

The athletes play 10 minute or 21 point games (whichever comes first) on outdoor half-courts, with a 12 second shot clock, a ones-and-twos scoring system, and loud, pumping music that helps drive the break-neck speed of the game.

“I think it’s exciting to watch too because it’s really high-paced… it’s a great environment,” Canadian under-18 coach Shawn Swords told the Toronto Observer. “I think it’s something that would definitely draw a lot of people to watch, and it would be a fun game to play and I’m sure the players would love it.”

We’re not sure if the world is ready to give up on the 5-on-5 game that’s been around since 1936, so it might be tough to find space for both disciplines in the schedule, but if the Olympics is going to continue aiming at a younger audience with sports like beach volleyball and BMX, then 3-on-3 has to be next on the list.

Now if we could only figure out a way to add HORSE and a three-point shootout we’d be set.

North Korean member of IOC expects team at PyeongChang Olympics

VANCOUVER, BC - FEBRUARY 12:  Song Chol Ri of North Korea carries the national flag during the Opening Ceremony of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics at BC Place on February 12, 2010 in Vancouver, Canada.  (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The North Korean member of the International Olympic Committee believes a North Korean delegation will be at the PyeongChang Olympics, according to Kyodo News.

“There is no reason why we won’t come and no reason why we can’t,” IOC member Chang Ung said last week at the Asian Winter Games in Japan, according to the news agency. “We will proceed according to the Olympic Charter.”

An IOC spokesman previously said that the first step toward possible North Korean participation in the PyeongChang Olympics would be the North Korean Olympic Committee’s response to its invitation to the Winter Games sent out two weeks ago.

The IOC sends invitations to National Olympic Committees around the world coinciding with one year out to an Olympics.

However, it’s not a certainty that North Korea will qualify any athletes for the Winter Games. Despite winning at least four medals at every Summer Games since boycotting Seoul 1988, it didn’t have any athletes at the Sochi Olympics and just two at Vancouver 2010.

North Korea has zero top performing international winter sports athletes and few who even appear at major competitions.

North Korean short track speed skater Choe Un Song ranks No. 123 in the world after appearing in one World Cup this season in Beijing. A pairs figure skating team is ranked No. 54. A different North Korean pairs team missed a Sochi berth by 1.5 points at the last qualifying competition.

Nations without qualified athletes are still able to enter one man and one woman in the Summer Olympics in swimming and track and field. But no such exception applies in the Winter Games.

The IOC has given no indication that an exception could be made to invite a non-qualified North Korean athlete to PyeongChang.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: PyeongChang 2018 daily schedule highlights

Chad le Clos still has nightmares of losing to Michael Phelps in Rio

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - AUGUST 09:  Michael Phelps (L) of the United States leads Chad le Clos of South Africa in the Men's 200m Butterfly Final on Day 4 of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games at the Olympic Aquatics Stadium on August 9, 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  (Photo by Adam Pretty/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Chad le Clos reportedly said he still has nightmares about losing to Michael Phelps in their much-anticipated rematch in the Rio Olympic 200m butterfly.

“I wake up in the middle of the night in a sweat over that race,” le Clos said, according to Independent Online in South Africa.

In Rio, le Clos finished fourth in the 200m butterfly final (video here), seven tenths of a second behind Phelps after famously turning his head to look at Phelps in the final 50 meters of the race.

In 2012, le Clos beat Phelps for Olympic gold by .05.

When Phelps unretired in 2014, he said he would never race the 200m butterfly again. But he picked it up a year later, in part because times around the world were not that fast and in part because of his desire to exact revenge on le Clos in Rio.

Now, it’s le Clos who wants a rematch.

“I want it that bad,” le Clos said, according to the report. “I just want Phelps to come back.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: PyeongChang 2018 daily schedule highlights