The New York City Marathon will go on!

Leave a comment

Parts of Manhattan are under water, power is out, debris and downed trees cover the streets, and most of the bridges and tunnels remain closed Tuesday morning, but by all accounts the New York City Marathon, which weaves through all five boroughs, will go off with very few hitches this Sunday.

“We’re assessing today with the city what the damage was and the ability to recover as quickly as possible,” Richard Finn, a spokesman for New York Road Runners, told the NY Times. “[We’re] moving ahead with everything we can do to be on the way to putting on a great marathon.”

Organizers haven’t been able to check out the course yet, for obvious reasons, but since the race doesn’t run through the most devastated parts of lower Manhattan they say things should be ready by the time the gun goes off. The marathon also runs all its electronic equipment off of generators, meaning power won’t be an issue for organizers regardless of when it comes back on for citizens. The biggest issue seems to just be getting runners to the starting line.

More than 5.700 flights to the east coast were cancelled this week. Nearly 20,000 participants come from overseas to compete. London bronze medalist Wilson Kipsang is scheduled to arrive from Kenya Tuesday and defending NYC champ and course record holder Geoffrey Mutai is set to come in Wednesday.

Organizers plan to reschedule flights to get the top runners to New York in time, but one notable absentee from the race will be top American marathoner Ryan Hall, who ducked out of the London Olympics race with an apparent quad injury that’s still bothering him. He said he’ll be ready for the 2013 season.

Olympic Track and Field Trials leave Eugene

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The U.S. Olympic Track and Field Trials are leaving Eugene, Ore., for the Los Angeles area.

Mt. San Antonio College (Mt. SAC) in Walnut, Calif., 20 miles east of LA, will host the 10-day event in 2020.

Eugene, which hosted the 2008, 2012 and 2016 Olympic Trials, and Sacramento, host in 2000 and 2004, also bid for the USA Track and Field (USATF) event.

“USATF’s board of directors voted to award the Olympic Trials to Mt. SAC based upon its desire to take the sport’s biggest event to the country’s second-largest media market; the historical strength of the sport in the Los Angeles area; Mt. SAC’s record of hosting elite track events that produce top performances; and a $62 million upgrade to Mt. SAC’s Hilmer Lodge Stadium that will enable the venue to expand to a seating capacity of more than 21,000,” USATF said in a press release.

Mt. SAC previously hosted the 1960 Olympic Trials and annually hosts a popular relays meet in April.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Van Niekerk breaks another Michael Johnson record

Wayde van Niekerk breaks another Michael Johnson record

Wayde van Niekerk
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Wayde van Niekerk broke another Michael Johnson record, running the fastest-ever 300m in Ostrava, Czech Republic, on Wednesday.

Van Niekerk, who broke Johnson’s 400m world record of 43.18 in Rio with a 43.03, ran 30.81 seconds in Ostrava. Video is here.

Johnson’s previous world best in the rarely contested event was 30.85, clocked at altitude in Pretoria in 2000, his final season.

Van Niekerk previously ran 31.03 over 300m in Kingston, Jamaica, last year. At the time, only Johnson and Usain Bolt (30.97 in 2010, also in Ostrava) had run faster in the non-Olympic event.

Johnson, also the former 200m world-record holder (lowered by Bolt in 2008 and 2009), is left with one world record still standing from the 1993 World Championships 4x400m relay.

Van Niekerk is preparing for the world championships in August in London, where he is expected to contest the 200m and 400m.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Van Niekerk gets his wish for world champs