Lindsey Vonn

Vonn’s request to race men rejected by FIS

Leave a comment

Vancouver downhill gold medalist Lindsey Vonn’s formal request to face-off against the men at a World Cup race in Lake Louise, Alberta later this month has been rejected by the International Ski Federation over the weekend, seemingly on the grounds that they just don’t like the idea very much.

“The Council respected Lindsey Vonn’s proposal to participate in men’s World Cup races and confirmed that one gender is not entitled to participate in races of the other and exceptions will not be made to the FIS Rules,” read a statement released by the FIS.

“In terms of her request to participate in the men’s downhill at Lake Louise, she is welcome to submit a request to the Organizing Committee and jury to be a forerunner.”

A forerunner is essentially someone who skis the course to make sure there are no problems. Their time is kept and marked, but the results are not part of the official competition and are not released to anyone but the athlete. They alone have the freedom to make it public.

Austria’s Marlies Schild set the precedent for Vonn when she skied as a forerunner at a slalom race in her home country earlier this year. Marlies would have finished in the top 30.

Similarly American gold medalist Bode Miller skied as a forerunner for a women’s race in 2003 during a rough patch when he failed to finish four out of five men’s races and was looking to get back on track.

“I saw it as a great opportunity to raise the profile of the sport by attracting interest from people who do not normally follow ski racing, particularly in North America,” Apline Canada President Max Gartner said in a statement after being disappointed by the outcome. “It would have provided a great platform to showcase our sport and the amazing athletic performances of our athletes.”

Vonn, a four-time women’s World Cup downhill champ, hasn’t released a statement regarding her feelings on the FIS’s decision or whether she’ll submit a request to be a forerunner for the Lake Louise race, but we’re certain this won’t be the last time she tries to get on the slopes with the men.

Michael Phelps: I had to keep marriage ‘hush-hush’

FILE - In this Aug. 9, 2016, file photo, United States' swimmer Michael Phelps celebrates winning his gold medal in the men's 200-meter butterfly with his fiance Nicole Johnson and baby Boomer during the swimming competitions at the 2016 Summer Olympics, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Arizona Republic reported Oct. 26, 2016, that Phelps and Johnson secretly married on June 13, 2016. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum, File)
Leave a comment

Michael Phelps said Thursday that he had to keep his June marriage to Nicole Johnson “hush-hush.”

Phelps and Johnson, who got engaged in February 2015, were married June 13, though Phelps had been saying all summer and into the fall that they were not yet married.

“You guys probably already saw the article that was posted [about the marriage],” Phelps said, widening his eyes and sticking the tip of his tongue out while golfing shirtless with former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. “I’ve been married for a while, been married for while, couple months. I had to keep it secret from y’all. I had to keep it hush-hush from you guys. Nicole and I are married. We are officially married.”

Phelps and Johnson welcomed baby boy Boomer on May 5.

“Why is it a secret? Just because. … Baby No. 2 may be coming soon, who knows though,” Phelps said.

VIDEO: Phelps in ‘Call of Duty’ trailer

Karolyis named in lawsuit against ex-USA Gymnastics doctor

In a July 15, 2008 photo, Dr. Larry Nassar works on the computer after seeing a patient in Michigan. Multiple gymnasts, including a member of the 2000 U.S. women's Olympic team, said they were sexually abused by Nassar, a former longtime doctor for USA Gymnastics, court documents and interviews show. (Becky Shink/Lansing State Journal via AP)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A former gymnast on the U.S. women’s national team is the latest athlete to accuse a longtime team doctor of sexual abuse.

But she’s the first to allege renowned husband-and-wife coaches Bela and Martha Karolyi knew about the abuse and did nothing to stop it.

The lawsuit filed Thursday in Los Angeles contends Dr. Larry Nassar repeatedly sexually abused the now-24-year-old gymnast when she was on the team from 2006 to 2011.

It says the Karolyis, and the current and former presidents of USA Gymnastics knew of molestations committed by Nassar before and during his employment, “yet chose to allow him to remain unsupervised,” allowing further abuse.

Nassar’s lawyer and the Karolyis didn’t respond to messages Thursday. Nassar’s lawyer has previously denied abuse allegations by two other gymnasts.

USA Gymnastics is also named in the suit. The Indiana-based governing body denies wrongdoing.

MORE: Michigan State fires Nassar after sexual abuse accusations