World No. 1 golfer Rory McIlroy is still debating whether to play for the British or Irish national team when his sport is resurrected at the Rio Games in 2016, but might just opt out of the Olympics entirely, so as not to offend his fans in either country.
“I just think being from where we’re from, we’re placed in a very difficult position,” McIlroy told the London Telegraph. “I feel Northern Irish and being from Northern Ireland you have a connection to Ireland and a connection to the UK.”
“If I could and there was a Northern Irish team, I’d play for Northern Ireland. Play for one side or the other, or not play at all because I may upset too many people. Those are my three options I’m considering very carefully.”
McIlroy stated last year that he’d probably play for Great Britain because he’d always felt more British, but has since pulled back from that statement and apologized, calling his answer a “moment of frustration.”
With three-plus seasons between now and when McIlroy needs to decide, maybe everyone should lay off him for a while. Otherwise the Olympics risks losing the world’s top golfer to upset feelings. Fair?
Michael Phelps said Thursday that he had to keep his June marriage to Nicole Johnson “hush-hush.”
Phelps and Johnson, who got engaged in February 2015, were married June 13, though Phelps had been saying all summer and into the fall that they were not yet married.
“You guys probably already saw the article that was posted [about the marriage],” Phelps said, widening his eyes and sticking the tip of his tongue out while golfing shirtless with former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. “I’ve been married for a while, been married for while, couple months. I had to keep it secret from y’all. I had to keep it hush-hush from you guys. Nicole and I are married. We are officially married.”
Phelps and Johnson welcomed baby boy Boomer on May 5.
“Why is it a secret? Just because. … Baby No. 2 may be coming soon, who knows though,” Phelps said.
VIDEO: Phelps in ‘Call of Duty’ trailer
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A former gymnast on the U.S. women’s national team is the latest athlete to accuse a longtime team doctor of sexual abuse.
But she’s the first to allege renowned husband-and-wife coaches Bela and Martha Karolyi knew about the abuse and did nothing to stop it.
The lawsuit filed Thursday in Los Angeles contends Dr. Larry Nassar repeatedly sexually abused the now-24-year-old gymnast when she was on the team from 2006 to 2011.
It says the Karolyis, and the current and former presidents of USA Gymnastics knew of molestations committed by Nassar before and during his employment, “yet chose to allow him to remain unsupervised,” allowing further abuse.
Nassar’s lawyer and the Karolyis didn’t respond to messages Thursday. Nassar’s lawyer has previously denied abuse allegations by two other gymnasts.
USA Gymnastics is also named in the suit. The Indiana-based governing body denies wrongdoing.
MORE: Michigan State fires Nassar after sexual abuse accusations