After avoiding the Olympic discussion during the entire 113-day NHL lockout, and then putting it off again so the league could get itself situated for the start of an abbreviated season, it looks like we finally have some good news about NHL players heading to Sochi next February.
“It’s highly likely, just short of a foregone conclusion,” Bob McKenzie said on TSN, “that the National Hockey League will be shutting down for 16 days in the middle of next season to allow its players to participate in the Olympics.”
McKenzie added that the only thing keeping this decision from being shoved into the sure thing column is the NHL and the NHLPA’s desire to lock up a deal with the IOC and IIHF that would include better access to players, use of images and video, and better accommodations and tickets for the NHL. Or “basically being treated as if it was a major sponsor of the Olympics,” McKenzie explained.
It doesn’t hurt that two of the league’s top stars, Evgeni Malkin and Alex Ovechkin, are Russian and pushing hard to play at their hometown Olympics, or that the NHL needs a win with after alienating at least a few fans with the most recent lockout. So there’s really no reason to hold the players out other than scheduling.
There’s no timetable set, but May has been marked as a reasonable – if not broad – target date for a final decision by Hockey News, but don’t be surprised if we have to wait until the end of the season.
London Olympic all-around champion Gabby Douglas was among four Olympic medalists appointed to the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition, in one of Barack Obama‘s final acts as president.
Also appointed were Olympic soccer champion Carli Lloyd, hockey silver medalist Caitlin Cahow and fencing bronze medalist Ibtihaj Muhammad.
Olympic medalists Dominique Dawes, Allyson Felix, Grant Hill, Michelle Kwan, Alonzo Mourning and Chris Paul already have roles on the council.
One month after taking gold in London, Douglas led the Pledge of Allegiance at the Democratic National Convention, where Obama was formally nominated to run for re-election.
Douglas also appeared on “The Tonight Show” with First Lady Michelle Obama in 2012 and joined the First Lady for a Let’s Move event in Chicago in 2013.
MORE: Gabby Douglas’ mom: Leslie Jones ‘came to the rescue’ in Rio
For the second time in as many months, Ryan Lochte stars in a jocular ad making a veiled reference to his Rio Olympic gas-station incident.
The swimmer wipes away “the past” on a foggy bathroom mirror and throws a blond wig out of a sunroof in a one-minute Power Bar video published Tuesday.
The company’s tag line in the video is “Clean Start.”
“For example, I am going to recommit myself to water sports,” Lochte says in the spot.
The ad follows a December video for Pine Bros. Softish Throat Drops, where Lochte starred in a spot with a closing banner that read, “Pine Bros.: In this Season of Forgiveness.”
Lochte had previously lost sponsorship deals, including with Speedo, after his Rio Olympic gas-station incident for which he was suspended through June by USA Swimming, plus for the world championships in July.
PHOTOS: Lochte set to be a father