Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy seemed pretty confident in Madrid’s bid to host the 2020 Olympics, as IOC’s evaluation commission arrived in the country’s captial Monday for a four-day inspection of the potential host city.
Prime Minster Rajoy reminded everyone that while people might be scared of the economic situation plaguing Spain, including Europe’s worst unemployment numbers, Madrid is accustomed to hosting large events and “has a great advantage: 80 percent of the sports facilities needed to hold an Olympic Games are already built.”
The Spanish Olympic Committee believes they bring the most “realistic” bid the table, with an estimated Games budget of less than $2 billion, which is half of Tokyo’s $4.5 billion, and nowhere near Istanbul’s $19 billion.
The SOC also has strong support from its citizens, as a new poll shows that 83 percent of Madrid, and 76 percent of Spain, believe the Games will have a positive impact on the country’s current situation.
Evaluators will spend the next four days looking at already standing venues, as well as finances and security to see if Spain has what it takes to host their first Olympics since the Barcelona Games in 1992.
Michael Phelps said Thursday that he had to keep his June marriage to Nicole Johnson “hush-hush.”
Phelps and Johnson, who got engaged in February 2015, were married June 13, though Phelps had been saying all summer and into the fall that they were not yet married.
“You guys probably already saw the article that was posted [about the marriage],” Phelps said, widening his eyes and sticking the tip of his tongue out while golfing shirtless with former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. “I’ve been married for a while, been married for while, couple months. I had to keep it secret from y’all. I had to keep it hush-hush from you guys. Nicole and I are married. We are officially married.”
Phelps and Johnson welcomed baby boy Boomer on May 5.
“Why is it a secret? Just because. … Baby No. 2 may be coming soon, who knows though,” Phelps said.
VIDEO: Phelps in ‘Call of Duty’ trailer
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A former gymnast on the U.S. women’s national team is the latest athlete to accuse a longtime team doctor of sexual abuse.
But she’s the first to allege renowned husband-and-wife coaches Bela and Martha Karolyi knew about the abuse and did nothing to stop it.
The lawsuit filed Thursday in Los Angeles contends Dr. Larry Nassar repeatedly sexually abused the now-24-year-old gymnast when she was on the team from 2006 to 2011.
It says the Karolyis, and the current and former presidents of USA Gymnastics knew of molestations committed by Nassar before and during his employment, “yet chose to allow him to remain unsupervised,” allowing further abuse.
Nassar’s lawyer and the Karolyis didn’t respond to messages Thursday. Nassar’s lawyer has previously denied abuse allegations by two other gymnasts.
USA Gymnastics is also named in the suit. The Indiana-based governing body denies wrongdoing.
MORE: Michigan State fires Nassar after sexual abuse accusations