Former 200m world record holder dies in Italy

1 Comment

Former 200m world record holder Pietro Mennea of Italy died in a Rome clinic Thursday of an unnamed incurable disease. He was 60-years-old.

Mennea ran 19.72 seconds to break American Tommie Smith’s eleven-year old record in 1979 during the lead up to the Moscow Games, in which Mannea won gold in the 200m and bronze in the 4x400m relay. His record stood for 17 years until Michael Johnson ran 19.66 in 1996.

“I never thought for a minute it would last that long,” Mennea told the Associated Press after Johnson finally broke his record before the Atlanta Games. “I didn’t even think at the time I had run that fast.”

Mennea eventually competed in four 200m Olympic finals between 1972 and 1984 – the first person to ever do so – before retiring after missing the event finals at the Seoul Games in 1988.

CONI president Giovanni Malago said Mennea will be laid in state at Olympic Committee headquarters and that a moment of silence will be observed at every sporting event in Italy though this Sunday.

Pyeongchang 2018 video looks at Olympic venues, slogan

Pyeongchang 2018
Leave a comment

Pyeongchang Olympic organizers published a promotional video Friday highlighting the South Korean host’s venues and its slogan, “Passion. Connected.”

The video highlights South Korea’s history of hosting major sports events — the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, the 2002 FIFA World Cup across Japan and South Korea and the 2011 World Track and Field Championships in Daegu — which was also a point during its host city candidacy several years ago.

Pyeongchang finally earned the right to host the Olympics after finishing second in voting for the 2010 Winter Games (losing by three votes) and the 2014 Winter Games (losing by four votes).

The Opening Ceremony on Feb. 9, 2018, will mark the first Winter Games in East Asia in 20 years.

The slogan was announced on May 16, 2015.

MORE: Pyeongchang 2018 Olympic news

Australia gold medalist swimmer gets mole removed after heads-up from fan

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - AUGUST 06:  Mack Horton of Australia celebrates winning gold in the Final of the Men's 400m Freestyle on Day 1 of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games at the Olympic Aquatics Stadium on August 6, 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mack Horton, the Olympic 400m freestyle champion, said he had a mole on his chest removed after a fan emailed his Australian swim team doctor alerting to get it checked out.

Horton said he believed the concerned fan may have been a skin specialist, according to the (Melbourne) Herald Sun.

“I’ve been watching this mole for a little while, Mack should probably go and get it checked out,” Horton said the fan said in an email to the doctor, according to the report. “They just looked at it [Thursday] and said let’s take it out now.

“They checked my whole body and then looked at this one and said we’d rather do it sooner rather than later.”

Horton joked on Australian TV that he probably owes the fan a free swim lesson.

“Sometimes I was blasé and sometimes I’d see it in the mirror and say, ‘I probably should get this one checked out,’ because I had noticed it had been changing a little bit, but I guess this person calling me out on it made me finally go and do it, which was a good thing,” Horton said, according to the newspaper.

MORE: Ryan Lochte set for film debut