Oscar Pistorius cleared to race at Paralympic worlds

2 Comments

South African sprinter Oscar Pistorius, who was charged with murdering girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp back in February, has been cleared by the world governing body for Paralympic sport to compete in the IPC World Championships in France this July, according to an internal report at the IPC acquired by the UK’s Telegraph Sport.

Pistorius’s agent Peet van Zyl will be notified that the six-time Paralympic gold medalist will be allowed to register after it was determined that he shouldn’t be barred from competing before his trial.

“I respect his wish to mourn Reeva’s death as long as it takes,” van Zyl told Telegraph Sport when presented with the news. “Only Oscar will be the one who decides when he wants to start training and race again, both [his coach] and myself respect the relationship we have as a trio.”

Many assumed the sprinter’s training had already started after photo of Pistorius walking on a high school track was published on the front page of the Afrikaans-language Beeld newspaper Thursday. But van Zyl said Pistorius was just out for a jog Tuesday after meeting with his agent and coach.

Although it seems his training will be coming pretty soon:

“This is not disrespectful to Reeva or her family,” van Zyl added. “This has been part of his life for so many years. If it makes things easier for him to work through it and get some sense back into his life, let him run and let him jog. He’s a human being and that’s maybe an outlet for him.”

WADA investigates report that 10,000 Chinese athletes doped

AP
Leave a comment

BERLIN (AP) — The World Anti-Doping Agency is looking into allegations made by a German broadcaster that Chinese athletes benefited from systematic doping in the 1980s and 90s.

“The allegations were brought forward by former Chinese physician, Xue Yinxian, who is said to have looked after several national teams in China during the decades in question,” WADA said Monday.

Xue, who recently arrived in Germany and is seeking political asylum with her son, told broadcaster ARD that more than 10,000 athletes were affected, some as young as 11, and that anyone who was against doping was considered “a danger to the country. And anyone who endangered the country is now in prison.”

The 79-year-old Xue said she lost her job with the national gymnastics team after refusing to treat an athlete with doping substances before the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

She said she had not felt safe in her home city of Beijing since 2012, when she first made her allegations of doping. She first started working with China’s national teams in the 1970s.

“In the 1980s and ’90s, Chinese athletes on the national teams made extensive use of doping substances,” she told ARD. “Medals were showered in doping. Gold, silver and bronze. All international medals should be withdrawn.”

WADA said it will examine “whether such a system may have prevailed beyond these decades.”

The first step, WADA said, was for its “independent intelligence and investigations team to initiate an investigative process in order to collect and analyze available information in coordination with external partners.”

Xue, who continued to work at lower levels after being dismissed from the national team in 1988, said she was only approached afterward when athletes developed problems because of the substances they were given.

“One trainer came to me and said, ‘Doctor Xue, the boys’ breasts keep getting bigger,’” Xue said. “These boys were about 13 to 14 years old.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Russia believes track ban may end soon

PyeongChang Olympic organizers downplay North Korea concern

AP
Leave a comment

ANCIENT OLYMPIA, Greece (AP) — PyeongChang Olympic organizers played down concern over ongoing tensions with North Korea and also say work has been completed on all venues for the Winter Games.

Lee Hee-beom, president of the PyeongChang organizing committee, said the International Olympic Committee has made it very clear that the Feb. 9-25 Winter Games will go ahead as scheduled.

Speaking at the birthplace of the ancient Olympics shortly after the last rehearsal for Tuesday’s official flame-lighting ceremony, Lee said “there is no Plan B.”

Lee said South Korean officials are working closely with all relevant parties to ensure the Winter Games are safe and secure.

He said his main concern for the Olympics is the weather.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Putin: U.S. pushing for Russia’s Olympic exclusion