Brazil to draw up new security measures for World Cup, Olympics

Leave a comment

Brazilian officials said Tuesday that they’ll use conclusions drawn from the Boston Marathon bombings to determine whether to change security plans for the upcoming World Cup and Olympics.

“We will start understanding if there is something that Brazil can learn from the case and incorporate it into our strategy ahead of the upcoming events,” spokesperson Alexandre Castilho said.

“It could be something very useful for us, but it could be an isolated event, too, specific to the American scenario.”

Brazil’s Olympic Committee has called security their “top priority” and the country’s foreign minister said he plans to take “all necessary measures” as the world descends on Rio during the next three years, but FILA Secretary General Jerome Valcke is already planning tighten things up by 2014.

“With what happened in Boston, [security] will be even… stronger,” Valcke said while in Haiti. “We will push the limit to make sure that we have the security, from the beach, to the airport, to the stadium.”

Valke plans to work with law enforcement from all 32 countries represented at the World Cup, and to build off of the model created for the 2010 event in South Africa, to ensure athletes and spectators are safe.

Craig Sager will miss Rio Olympics as he battles leukemia

CLEVELAND, OH - JUNE 16:  Legendary TNT sideline reporter Craig Sager talks with Game 6 of the 2016 NBA Finals between the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors at Quicken Loans Arena on June 16, 2016 in Cleveland, Ohio. Sager is on a one game assignment for ESPN. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Basketball reporter Craig Sager will miss the Rio Games as he returns to a cancer center to continue his battle against acute myeloid leukemia, NBC announced in a statement Thursday.

Sager was set to cover his fifth straight Olympics for NBC, but instead needs to undergo a third bone marrow transplant at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. He resumed receiving chemotherapy on Wednesday, according to the Houston Chronicle, with the goal being to force the disease into remission so the transplant can be performed next month.

“We’ve known since February we would have to have the third transplant,” Sager told the Chronicle. “We tried to delay it until after the Olympics, but (the disease) is very aggressive, and there is a sense of urgency to do it now.”

Sager was diagnosed in 2014, went into remission after a bone marrow transplant, was told the cancer came back in March 2015, underwent a second transplant last year, and then found out in February he was no longer in remission.

“My body isn’t getting stronger, so they want to do it while I’m strong enough,” Sager said. “Third transplants are kind of rare, so hopefully we will get it done and I’ll be ready in time for (NBA) opening night.”

MORE: Marv Albert to call Olympic basketball for first time since 1996

Details of NBC Olympics’ Facebook, Instagram content for Rio

NBC Rio logo
NBC
Leave a comment

NBC Olympics, Facebook and Instagram will team up to provide video highlights and interviews on social media daily during the Rio Olympics.

An on-site “Social Command Center” in Rio will capture Facebook Live content, including interviews with athletes and NBC Olympics commentators.

A daily two-minute recap video will be produced for Facebook, while Instagram will have a daily slow-motion video around an inspiring moment.

Instagram will also feature NBC Olympics commentators and athletes on its own account, @instagram, along with highlights of NBC videos through its Search & Explore video channels.

More on the NBC Olympics, Facebook and Instagram partnerships is here.

MORE: Complete U.S. Olympic team roster