Oscar Pistorius due in court on Tuesday

Leave a comment

South African double-amputee sprinter Oscar Pistorius has only been spotted twice in public since he was granted bail on February 22 following the shooting of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, on Valentine’s Day morning.

But Pistorius, 26, is set to reemerge on Tuesday for the start of his trial, where he’ll be defended against the charges of premeditated murder at the Magistrate’s Court in his hometown of Pretoria.

The London Olympian and six-time Paralympic champion shot Steenkamp three times through his bathroom door February 14, but claims he heard a noise that he thought was an intruder in the house, and only after he fired did he considered it might have been his girlfriend. He then called paramedics and carried her downstairs where she died while they were waiting for help.

“The fact that he admitted that he has killed her by pulling the trigger means the state has a prima facie case and it is expected of the accused to come and convince the court otherwise,” Marius du Toit, a legal expert on South Africa’s justice system, told the Associated Press. “His version is going to be exposed and scrutinized in the finest, finest detail.”

Pistorius’s team had considered a return to the track this year, and one of the times the sprinter was seen in public was on the track of a local high school, further adding to the rumor of his return. But his team officially ruled out competitive running in 2013 late last month.

“He is nowhere close to being in a position to train,” coach Ampie Louw told Eye Witness News at the time. “He just does fitness exercises in the morning with his family.”

Pistorius had some of his most lucrative sponsorships suspended in the wake of the shooting, and UK Athletics Chair Ed Warner told BBC Radio in April that Pistorius wouldn’t be welcomed to the London Grand Prix this season, because his appearance would pose too much of a distraction.

WADA investigates report that 10,000 Chinese athletes doped

AP
Leave a comment

BERLIN (AP) — The World Anti-Doping Agency is looking into allegations made by a German broadcaster that Chinese athletes benefited from systematic doping in the 1980s and 90s.

“The allegations were brought forward by former Chinese physician, Xue Yinxian, who is said to have looked after several national teams in China during the decades in question,” WADA said Monday.

Xue, who recently arrived in Germany and is seeking political asylum with her son, told broadcaster ARD that more than 10,000 athletes were affected, some as young as 11, and that anyone who was against doping was considered “a danger to the country. And anyone who endangered the country is now in prison.”

The 79-year-old Xue said she lost her job with the national gymnastics team after refusing to treat an athlete with doping substances before the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

She said she had not felt safe in her home city of Beijing since 2012, when she first made her allegations of doping. She first started working with China’s national teams in the 1970s.

“In the 1980s and ’90s, Chinese athletes on the national teams made extensive use of doping substances,” she told ARD. “Medals were showered in doping. Gold, silver and bronze. All international medals should be withdrawn.”

WADA said it will examine “whether such a system may have prevailed beyond these decades.”

The first step, WADA said, was for its “independent intelligence and investigations team to initiate an investigative process in order to collect and analyze available information in coordination with external partners.”

Xue, who continued to work at lower levels after being dismissed from the national team in 1988, said she was only approached afterward when athletes developed problems because of the substances they were given.

“One trainer came to me and said, ‘Doctor Xue, the boys’ breasts keep getting bigger,’” Xue said. “These boys were about 13 to 14 years old.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Russia believes track ban may end soon

PyeongChang Olympic organizers downplay North Korea concern

AP
Leave a comment

ANCIENT OLYMPIA, Greece (AP) — PyeongChang Olympic organizers played down concern over ongoing tensions with North Korea and also say work has been completed on all venues for the Winter Games.

Lee Hee-beom, president of the PyeongChang organizing committee, said the International Olympic Committee has made it very clear that the Feb. 9-25 Winter Games will go ahead as scheduled.

Speaking at the birthplace of the ancient Olympics shortly after the last rehearsal for Tuesday’s official flame-lighting ceremony, Lee said “there is no Plan B.”

Lee said South Korean officials are working closely with all relevant parties to ensure the Winter Games are safe and secure.

He said his main concern for the Olympics is the weather.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Putin: U.S. pushing for Russia’s Olympic exclusion