Phelps not counting out comeback; happy to “no longer smell chlorine”

1 Comment

Despite the rumors from top competitors and men in the know, swimming legend Michael Phelps has yet to dive in a pool competitively since London, and told a German paper Wednesday that he thinks top rival Ryan Lochte is trying to deflect some attention away from himself.

Phelps, of course, says he’s happy with the life of leisure he’s enjoyed since London, and he’s happy to “no longer smell chlorine,” but he still won’t entirely count out a comeback.

“All I can say: I am very happy with my current life, I enjoy my retirement, I enjoy playing golf.” Phelps explained (with some help from Google Translate). “I will be still be seen at the edge of the pool at the World Championships and I will of course watch Rio 2016. Will I come back? I do not know. It is a matter of time. At the moment, I’m happy the way it is.”

Phelps also admitted that his “belly” wasn’t quite the same as when he was training, since he apparently has a sweet tooth, and added that mastering golf was even harder for him than swimming.

“Golf is one of the hardest sports I’ve ever done. It’s still frustrating… I know now what I am doing wrong and what I should change, in theory. I want to be good. Golf is my new challenge.”

Phelps’s golf coach, Hank Haney said Tuesday that Phelps has come a long way since they worked together for a Golf Channel reality show earlier this year, and that he’s confident that the swimmer will do well when he tees off at the American Century Championship Celebrity Pro-Am in Tahoe next month.

“He’s a proven golfer,” Haney told reporters. “When we started our show he was pretty much a beginner, and then he just jumped right out and played in the pro-am for The Ryder Cup…

“I think he’ll hit some good shots. I think he’ll hit some bad shots. But I think overall, I think he’s going to do pretty good. He’s a passionate golfer. It’s just great to have him in the game of golf.”

Shaun White’s crash lands him in hospital

Shaun White
Shaun White's Instagram
Leave a comment

Double Olympic snowboard champion Shaun White suffered a serious crash in training in New Zealand for the second time in as many months.

White was in the hospital after a “straight up old fashioned face plant” while preparing for the Olympic season, he said in an Instagram post Saturday.

“I’ve always lived my life by pushing the limits,” was posted on White’s Instagram. “Winning is great, but it’s the tough times that truly define you. I took a slam while training the other day, but don’t worry I’ll be back soon and better than ever!!”

White, 31, also crashed in early September, leading him to withdraw from his season-opening halfpipe contest in New Zealand. Doctors told him then to take a few weeks off.

White can afford to miss most of the fall. The snowboarding season does not ramp up until December. The first of a series of Olympic selection events is the second week of December in Breckenridge, Colo.

White is arguably the favorite for gold in PyeongChang in February despite finishing a disappointing fourth in Sochi, where he was bidding to three-peat as Olympic halfpipe champion.

White gradually improved last season after taking time off, changing coaches. dropping slopestyle (and his band work) and undergoing fall left ankle surgery.

He was 11th at January’s Winter X Games — his worst finish there since 2000 — but then finished first, second and first in his last three events.

He peaked at the finale, the U.S. Open in Vail, Colo. White landed a cab double cork 1440 and a double McTwist 1260 in one run for the first time, according to The Associated Press.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Meet the new face of U.S. slopestyle

Gymnastics doctor’s lawyers want trial moved, cite media coverage

AP
Leave a comment

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Attorneys for a former Michigan State and USA Gymnastics doctor accused of molesting dozens of athletes are pushing to have his trial moved out of the Lansing area.

The Lansing State Journal reports that attorneys representing Larry Nassar filed a change-of-venue request because of what they called “inflammatory and sustained media coverage” that they say has made it difficult for Nassar to get a fair trial in the area.

The media attention grew more intense this week when 21-year-old 2012 Olympic gold medal gymnast McKayla Maroney wrote on Twitter that Nassar started assaulting her when she was 13.

Nassar has pleaded not guilty to nearly two dozen charges in Michigan. He has pleaded guilty to three child pornography charges in an unrelated case but has not been sentenced.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Aly Raisman speaks out about USA Gymnastics scndal