After his only-somewhat-surprising loss to Justin Gatlin in the 100m at the Rome Diamond League meet last week, Usain Bolt has vowed to bounce back from the rare defeat when he runs the 200m at the Bislett Games in Oslo on Thursday.
“I’m feeling pretty good,” Bolt told reporters. “I think I’m in shape to run under 20 seconds. It’s all about the execution and getting it right.”
Bolt, who owns the 200m world record and eight of the fourteen fastest times in history, would be the first of the season to run a sub-20 if he can pull it off. His toughest competition will Churandy Martina of Netherlands, who finished fifth in London, and Olso local Jaysuma Saidy Ndure, who’s best time was 19.89 six years ago.
Bolt’s loss to Gatlin was his first since falling to Yohan Blake in the 100m and 200m finals at the Jamaican trials almost a year ago, and Bolt said Tuesday that it was nothing for his fans to worry about.
“I’m always confident in whatever I am doing,” Bolt explained to the Associated Press. “As long as my coach is not worried, I’m not worried, and my coach is not worried. So I’m definitely confident that I’ll be up to standard, that I’ll be able to perform to defend my titles.”
International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) President Sebastian Coe announced in a press conference Thursday that he dropped his sponsorship deal with Nike, according to reports.
He was sponsored by the brand going back to his days as a professional athlete – he won the 1,500m in 1980 and 1984. His role at Nike included acting as an international advisor and campaign ambassador for “Designed to Move,” aimed at tackling lethargy, Sports Illustrated said.
Coe was voted into office as IAAF president in August for a four-year term, but had since been under scrutiny by British media over the potential conflict of interest. Previously, he acted as the head of the London 2012 Olympic Organizing Committee.
MORE: Brazilian government to make Rio Olympics more accessible
HAMBURG, Germany (AP) – Hamburg’s bid for the 2024 Olympics faces a public referendum Sunday among voters in the north German port city.
Organizers hope the bid that has already been submitted to the International Olympic Committee won’t share the same fate as Munich’s proposed candidacy for the 2022 Winter Games. That bid was rejected in a referendum.
German Olympic Sports Confederation president Alfons Hoermann says “we’re giving the baton to the people of Hamburg and Kiel,” referring to the nearby city where sailing events would be held.
More than 40 percent of the 1.3 million people eligible to vote have already done so through a postal ballot.
Hoermann says “the excellent turnout that has emerged shows the Olympic Games project has been taken on by the city.”
MORE: Olympic rings in Hamburg break Guinness World Record