John Orozco

Gymnast John Orozco set to return from major knee injury

Leave a comment

Reigning U.S. all-around gymnastics champion John Orozco will compete for the first time since the London Olympics this weekend.

Orozco and Olympic all-around bronze medalist Danell Leyva lead the field at a national qualifier in Colorado Springs, Colo., on Saturday and Sunday.

Their eyes are on the U.S. championships Aug. 15-18 in Hartford, Conn. At least 14 gymnasts from more than 70 will clinch berths for nationals based on a points ranking system.

The already qualified Orozco, 20, suffered a torn left ACL and associated meniscus damage on a parallel bars dismount during a post-Olympic USA Gymnastics tour in October. It’s the second major rehab for Orozco, who tore an Achilles in 2010.

Orozco will only compete in four events this weekend — high bar, parallel bars, pommel horse and still rings. He expects to be cleared to do full floor exercise and vault training in anticipation of doing all six events at nationals.

“It’s a competition to get back in shape and see where I’m at in competition, to get back into it instead of nationals being my first competition back,” Orozco said by telephone from Colorado Springs.

Orozco said his rehab and recovery from Nov. 9 surgery have gone to plan. He returned to gymnastics apparatus in February and started doing full skills about a month later.

The Bronx native learned from the previous Achilles injury not to dwell on the fact he would be out a prolonged period. He said, this time, the biggest disappointment was merely not being able to finish the tour with his teammates.

“I didn’t think it was that bad when I first hurt myself because I was able to walk away from it,” Orozco said of the October injury. “A few hours later … I knew that I was going to be out quite a while. I was thinking about how I could make (the rehab) go by faster, mentally preparing to get myself out of this depression you hit when you get injured and are out for a while.”

Orozco said he never thought about taking all of 2013 off, like so many Olympians have done who weren’t injured. He’s eager to compete yet has set modest goals. Rather than racking up more medals, he’s focused on making the national team and reaching the world championships in Antwerp, Belgium, in September and October.

“I’m not trying to give myself too many expectations,” he said. “I’m not going to be too hard on myself if my plans don’t work out.”

Top London Olympics rhythmic gymnastics official banned

Munich 1972 Olympic attack victims’ families detail massacre in documentary

Leave a comment

Family members of the Munich 1972 Olympic attack victims “described the extent of the cruelty” in interviews for “Munich 1972 & Beyond,” an upcoming documentary on the massacre, according to The New York Times.

Eleven Israeli athletes and officials were killed after being taken hostage by a Palestinian group in the athletes’ village nearly 40 years ago, with nine dying in a failed rescue attempt.

In 1992, widows of two of the victims learned details of how the athletes and officials were treated — including via graphic photographs — and recently spoke publicly about it, according to the newspaper.

“What they did is that they cut off his genitals through his underwear and abused him,” Ilana Romano said through a translator of husband Yossef Romano, an Olympic weightlifter, according to the newspaper. “Can you imagine the nine others sitting around tied up? They watched this.”

The documentary “Munich 1972 & Beyond,” announced earlier this year, is set to be released in early 2016. Here’s an interview with one of the film’s producers.

In 2014, it was announced that a $2.3 million memorial in Munich was planned to remember the victims, with the International Olympic Committee contributing $250,000.

At Rio 2016, a moment of remembrance will be held during the Closing Ceremony and a special mourning area will be in the Olympic village to honor those who have died during an Olympic Games.

PHOTOS: Munich 1972 Olympic sites, including massacre site

Youth Olympic flame lit in Athens ahead of Lillehammer 2016

Youth Olympics
Leave a comment

The torch relay for the second Youth Winter Olympics — in Lillehammer, Norway, from Feb. 12-21 — began with a ceremonial flame lighting at Panathenaic Stadium in Athens on Tuesday.

The stadium hosted the first modern Olympics in 1896.

The flame will travel across all 19 Norwegian provinces before the Feb. 12 Opening Ceremony at the 1994 Winter Olympic host city. The first Youth Winter Olympics were in Innsbruck, Austria, in 2012.

The Rio 2016 Olympic torch relay will begin with its ceremonial flame lighting at the ancient Olympic site of Olympia in Greece on April 21.

MORE: Youth Summer Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo