Asafa Powell

Asafa Powell, Sherone Simpson make first comments since drug test revelations

Leave a comment


Jamaican Olympic sprint medalists Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson were shocked when they were told they had failed drug tests and have no plans to retire, they said in a group interview in Jamaica on Tuesday night.

Reuters and the Jamaica Gleaner (Wednesday’s front page pictured) were on hand at a law office in Kingston.

“I have never thought about it (retiring),” Powell said, according to the Gleaner. “I was just shocked by the news. I have been thinking a lot but never once thought about giving up.”

Two attorneys, their track club president and a publicist were also present. Simpson broke down in tears in the interview, according to the Gleaner.

Powell, the former world-record holder in the 100 meters, and Simpson, the 2008 Olympic silver medalist in the 100, said in statements on July 14 that they tested positive for the banned stimulant oxilofrine at the Jamaican national championships in June.

They are potentially facing many months, perhaps years in suspensions, pending “B” sample tests results.

Powell and Simpson declined to answer questions about their Canadian trainer Chris Xuereb, whom has been blamed by their agent and their track club.

An email from Xuereb’s account last week said he did not provide banned substances to the sprinters, who he said are “looking for a scapegoat.”

Powell, 30, said in Tuesday’s interview he will miss the world championships in August. Powell failed to qualify individually by finishing seventh at nationals, but he could have conceivably been picked for the 4×100 relay.

Simpson, 28, placed second at Jamaican nationals in the 100, qualifying for the world championships, but her worlds status was not addressed in the Reuters or Jamaica Gleaner stories. It would be surprising to see her compete in Moscow next month.

Simpson said she was “shocked” when she received a phone call in Madrid at 1:30 a.m. informing her of the test findings. Powell said he first heard the news at a hotel room in Italy.

“At first I thought it was joke, you know, I thought I was being pranked!” Powell said. “Because that was the first something like that has ever happened; I was confused after and just in disbelief.”

Yohan Blake GQ interview: The Notebook, Michael Jackson, socks

Michael Phelps: I had to keep marriage ‘hush-hush’

FILE - In this Aug. 9, 2016, file photo, United States' swimmer Michael Phelps celebrates winning his gold medal in the men's 200-meter butterfly with his fiance Nicole Johnson and baby Boomer during the swimming competitions at the 2016 Summer Olympics, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Arizona Republic reported Oct. 26, 2016, that Phelps and Johnson secretly married on June 13, 2016. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum, File)
Leave a comment

Michael Phelps said Thursday that he had to keep his June marriage to Nicole Johnson “hush-hush.”

Phelps and Johnson, who got engaged in February 2015, were married June 13, though Phelps had been saying all summer and into the fall that they were not yet married.

“You guys probably already saw the article that was posted [about the marriage],” Phelps said, widening his eyes and sticking the tip of his tongue out while golfing shirtless with former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. “I’ve been married for a while, been married for while, couple months. I had to keep it secret from y’all. I had to keep it hush-hush from you guys. Nicole and I are married. We are officially married.”

Phelps and Johnson welcomed baby boy Boomer on May 5.

“Why is it a secret? Just because. … Baby No. 2 may be coming soon, who knows though,” Phelps said.

VIDEO: Phelps in ‘Call of Duty’ trailer

Karolyis named in lawsuit against ex-USA Gymnastics doctor

In a July 15, 2008 photo, Dr. Larry Nassar works on the computer after seeing a patient in Michigan. Multiple gymnasts, including a member of the 2000 U.S. women's Olympic team, said they were sexually abused by Nassar, a former longtime doctor for USA Gymnastics, court documents and interviews show. (Becky Shink/Lansing State Journal via AP)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A former gymnast on the U.S. women’s national team is the latest athlete to accuse a longtime team doctor of sexual abuse.

But she’s the first to allege renowned husband-and-wife coaches Bela and Martha Karolyi knew about the abuse and did nothing to stop it.

The lawsuit filed Thursday in Los Angeles contends Dr. Larry Nassar repeatedly sexually abused the now-24-year-old gymnast when she was on the team from 2006 to 2011.

It says the Karolyis, and the current and former presidents of USA Gymnastics knew of molestations committed by Nassar before and during his employment, “yet chose to allow him to remain unsupervised,” allowing further abuse.

Nassar’s lawyer and the Karolyis didn’t respond to messages Thursday. Nassar’s lawyer has previously denied abuse allegations by two other gymnasts.

USA Gymnastics is also named in the suit. The Indiana-based governing body denies wrongdoing.

MORE: Michigan State fires Nassar after sexual abuse accusations