Tyson Gay

Report: Tyson Gay failed multiple drug tests this year

Leave a comment

American record holder Tyson Gay tested positive multiple times this year, according to The Associated Press.

Gay, 30, admitted earlier this month to failing a drug test at an out-of-competition test in May.

On Friday, the AP reported Gay also failed a test at the U.S. national championships in Des Moines, Iowa, in June.

Gay won the 100 and 200 meters to qualify for the world championships and has run the fastest 100 meters in the world this year.

One person familiar with the case told AP the multiple positives over a short period of time are a sign of an athlete who wasn’t trying to hide anything, but simply didn’t know he was taking a banned drug.

Gay, an Olympic silver medalist in the 4×100 relay and fourth in London in the 100, will no longer be going to the world championships. Gay would not reveal the specific banned substance he tested positive for in his only comments about the matter to the AP.

“I don’t have a sabotage story. I don’t have any lies. I don’t have anything to say to make this seem like it was a mistake or it was on USADA’s hands, someone playing games,” Gay told the AP during a teary phone interview July 14. “I don’t have any of those stories. I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down.”

He didn’t name the person who let him down.

Gay is facing a potential two-year ban from competition, though suspensions have been known to be reduced if first-time offenders unknowingly took a banned substance. Results from testing any of his “B” samples have yet to be released.

UPDATE: Gay’s “B” sample from his out-of-competition test came back positive, according to Reuters.

“We can confirm that the ‘B’ sample analysis of a sample collected from Mr. Gay has been completed and that the ‘B’ sample analysis has confirmed the ‘A’ sample findings,” USADA chief executive Travis Tygart said in a statement to Reuters.

The positive tests from Gay, former 100-meter world-record holder Asafa Powell and 2008 Olympic silver medalist in the women’s 100, Sherone Simpson, were all revealed July 14.

Powell and Simpson said they tested positive for the banned stimulant oxilofrine and, through their agent and track club coach, have gotten into an argument with trainer Chris Xuereb over who is to blame for taking the substance.

Usain Bolt said in a press conference that the latest doping scandal is going to set track and field “back a little bit” a day before winning the 100 meters at a Diamond League meet in London on Friday.

Gay began working with an “anti-aging specialist” before the 2012 Olympic trials, according to Sports Illustrated.

Video: Usain Bolt comes from behind to win 100 meters in London

Yuzuru Hanyu opens Olympic season with record score

Yuzuru Hanyu
Getty Images
Leave a comment

A sore knee didn’t hold Yuzuru Hanyu back. A record score to open his Olympic season.

The Olympic and world champion from Japan hit a pair of quadruple jumps in his short program at the Autumn Classic, a lower-level event in Montreal.

He was rewarded with 112.72 points, the highest short program score recorded under the 13-year-old judging system. Video is here.

It looked like a home competition for Hanyu.

Upon finishing, he bowed toward one set of bleachers (maybe a dozen rows) at the Sportsplexe Pierrefonds. More than two dozen Japanese flags made it hard to see most of the faces.

He bettered Javier Fernández, a two-time world champion and training partner, by 11.52 points. Fernández also landed two quadruple jumps to tally 101.2.

Full scores will be here upon the conclusion of the short program. The free skate is Saturday at 8 p.m. ET. A live stream is here.

Hanyu now owns the three highest short program scores under the 13-year-old system. The other two were set in the 2015-16 season.

Showdowns like Hanyu-Fernández are usually reserved for, at the earliest, the Grand Prix series in late October and November.

Hanyu and Fernández are very familiar with each other, having shared a coach in Canadian Brian Orser, the 1988 Olympic silver medalist, since 2012. They train in Toronto.

In that time, Hanyu became the first Japanese man to win an Olympic title (and the second teen from any nation to do it). He followed it up with world titles later in 2014 and this year.

Fernández achieved unfathomable success for a Spanish skater — world titles in 2015 and 2016, overtaking Hanyu in the free skate both times.

In PyeongChang, Hanyu can become the first man to repeat as Olympic champion since Dick Button in 1952. Fernández can become the third Spaniard to earn a Winter Olympic medal of any color in any sport, and the first since 1992.

The figure skating season continues next week with Nebelhorn Trophy in Germany, the final Olympic qualifying competition. North Korea could clinch its first spots in any sport for the Olympics in the pairs event.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: What to watch every day of PyeongChang Olympics

USOC letter assures Olympians about South Korea security

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The U.S. Olympic Committee’s security chief sent a letter to potential Winter Olympians saying there are no indications that recent developments between the U.S. and North Korea have compromised security in South Korea.

The letter, obtained by The Associated Press shortly after it was sent Friday, makes no suggestion that the U.S. is considering skipping the PyeongChang Winter Games for security reasons.

But Chief Security Officer Nicole Deal does write that provocations that have been volleyed between the United States and North Korea are likely to persist for the foreseeable future, and “should not be dismissed as insignificant nor feared as precursors of an inevitable conflict.”

The letter comes at the end of a week in which France’s sports minister suggested the country’s athletes would stay home if security could not be guaranteed.

The International Olympic Committee, trying to calm concerns, reiterated that in conversations with high-level officials in China and South Korea, none have expressed doubt about the Winter Games proceeding as scheduled, next February.

The USOC also sent out a public statement Friday from CEO Scott Blackmun.

“We will continue to work with our State Department and local organizers to ensure that our athletes, and our entire delegation, are safe,” he said.

The letter, sent to athletes, national governing bodies and other Olympic leaders in the United States, said the USOC’s security division is operating as “business as usual for our security planning and preparations.”

Deal writes that the USOC is reviewing crisis management plans that address a range of potential scenarios “to ensure our athletes, and our entire delegation, are safe.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: What to watch every day of PyeongChang Olympics