Larry Probst

Potential U.S. bid for 2024 Olympics could come from limited number of cities

2 Comments

U.S. Olympic Committee chairman Larry Probst said that if the U.S. decides next year to bid on the 2024 Olympics, it will come from “not a long list of cities, realistically.”

“I think it’s got to be a city that is compelling to people around the world, that resonates with all of the IOC membership,” Probst told The Associated Press after being voted in as an International Olympic Committee member in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on Tuesday.

In February, the USOC sent letters to mayors of 35 cities to gauge interest in potential bids for 2024. The U.S. hasn’t hosted an Olympics since the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Games. It is in the midst of its longest stretch between hosting Olympics since the 28-year gap between 1932 (Los Angeles, Summer) and 1960 (Squaw Valley, Winter).

Cities that expressed interest from the group of 35 include Dallas, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.

Probst said 2024 Olympic bidding will be talked about at USOC meetings in December, when a timetable for the selection of a city could be created. Bidding for the 2024 Olympic host begins in 2015, and the IOC will vote in 2017.

“First step is we have to decide that we are going to move forward and we have to go through a process of which city gives us the best chance,” Probst told the AP.

Probst didn’t think Tokyo’s win over Istanbul and Madrid for the 2020 Olympics “changes the calculation” for potential 2024 plans.

Asia will have hosted back-to-back Olympics in 2018 and 2020. The 2022 Winter Games host will be determined in 2015. Barcelona, Munich and Oslo have considered bids, but Almaty, Kazakhstan, is the only official application so far.

For 2024, Paris and Rome have been looked at as potential bidders.

From 2004 through 2020, Europe and Asia will have hosted seven of nine Olympics. Africa has never hosted, Australia last hosted in 2000, Rio de Janeiro will be the first South American host in 2016 and Vancouver held the 2010 Winter Games.

Washington, D.C., group launches 2024 bid hopes

Ex-USA Gymnastics doctor faces at least 25 years in prison

AP
2 Comments

DETROIT (AP) — A sports doctor accused of molesting several girls while working for USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University will plead guilty to multiple charges of sexual assault and face at least 25 years in prison, a person with knowledge of the agreement said Tuesday.

The person was not authorized to publicly discuss the agreement ahead of a Wednesday court hearing for Dr. Larry Nassar in Michigan’s Ingham County and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

Nassar, 54, is charged with molesting seven girls, all but one of whom were gymnasts, mostly under the guise of treatment at his Lansing-area home and a campus clinic. He’s facing similar charges in a neighboring county and lawsuits filed by more than 125 women and girls.

Olympians Aly Raisman and McKayla Maroney are among the women who have publicly said they were among Nassar’s victims.

The plea deal in Ingham County calls for a minimum prison sentence of 25 years, but a judge could set the minimum sentence as high as 40 years. In Michigan, inmates are eligible for parole after serving a minimum sentence.

The girls have testified that Nassar molested them with his hands, sometimes when a parent was present in the room, while they sought help for gymnastics injuries.

“He convinced these girls that this was some type of legitimate treatment,” Assistant Attorney General Angela Poviliatis told a judge last summer. “Why would they question him? Why would they question this gymnastics god?”

Separately, Nassar is charged with similar crimes in Eaton County, the location of an elite gymnastics club. He also is awaiting sentencing in federal court on child pornography charges.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Aly Raisman in book: ‘Horrible memories’ with Larry Nassar

Gabby Douglas: ‘We were abused by Larry Nassar’

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Gabby Douglas is the third member of the 2012 U.S. Olympic team to say she was abused by then-USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar.

“It would be like saying that because of the leotards we wore, it was our fault that we were abused by Larry Nassar,” was part of a post on Douglas’ Instagram on Tuesday apologizing for a Friday tweet that generated criticism. “I didn’t publicly share my experiences as well as many other things because for years we were conditioned to stay silent and honestly some things were extremely painful.”

They marked Douglas’ first public comments about Nassar since many gymnasts said starting last year that the doctor sexually abused them under the guise of medical treatment.

It wasn’t totally clear from her post whether Douglas, the 2012 Olympic all-around champion, said she was abused, but one of her representatives confirmed it, according to multiple reports.

Douglas’ post came four days after her comment on teammate Aly Raisman‘s tweet generated criticism (see below).

Raisman said two weeks ago that she was sexually abused by Nassar while on the national team.

A third 2012 Olympian, McKayla Maroney, said last month that she was sexually abused by Nassar during her national-team career.

Nassar is in jail in Michigan awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to possession of child pornography.

He’s also awaiting trial on separate criminal sexual conduct charges and has been sued by more than 125 women alleging abuse.

Nassar pleaded not guilty to the assault charges but is expected to change pleas to guilty Wednesday and on Nov. 29 in bids to close criminal cases against him.

“We are appalled by the conduct of which Larry Nassar is accused, and we are very sorry that any athlete has been harmed during her or his gymnastics career,” USA Gymnastics said in a statement last week. “Aly’s passion and concern for athlete safety is shared by USA Gymnastics. Our athletes are our priority, and we are committed to promoting an environment of empowerment that encourages speaking up, especially on difficult topics like abuse, as well the protection of athletes at all levels throughout our gymnastics community.”

Douglas last competed at the Rio Olympics and has not publicly said whether she will return to competition.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

please hear my heart

A post shared by Gabby Douglas (@gabbycvdouglas) on