It appears Johnny Weir‘s Olympic figure skating career is over.
The two-time Olympian did not register for a qualifying event for the U.S. Championships by a Sept. 1 deadline, U.S. Figure Skating confirmed. The Associated Press first reported the news.
The Olympic team will be selected from the U.S. Championships in Boston beginning Jan. 9. Two U.S. men will make the team for the Olympics in February.
Weir, 29, a three-time U.S. champion, can’t receive a bye into nationals, either. Only figure skaters who placed in the top five at the 2013 nationals or medaled at the 2010 Olympics or 2013 World Championships are eligible for byes, according to the AP.
Weir’s last competition was the Rostelecom Cup in November in Russia, where he withdrew due to injury. He has sparingly competed since the Vancouver Olympics, where he placed sixth. Weir was fifth at the 2006 Olympics and won bronze at the 2008 World Championships.
Even if Weir returned to competition this season, he would have been at best an outside hope at making the Olympic team behind the likes of 2013 U.S. champion Max Aaron, Olympic champion Evan Lysacek, three-time U.S. champion Jeremy Abbott and Ross Miner, Josh Farris, Adam Rippon and Richard Dornbush.
Weir’s old rival, Lysacek, has not competed since the 2010 Olympics. The Grand Prix season starts with Skate America, Oct. 18-20, where Aaron, Lysacek and Rippon are entered. Lysacek withdrew from the U.S. International Classic last week with a slight abdominal tear. Aaron won the event.
Joannie Rochette will not compete in Sochi
SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) — The head of the Major League Baseball Players Association says it will be difficult for big leaguers to participate at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Baseball returns to Olympics after a 12-year absence for the Tokyo Games, which are scheduled for July 24-Aug. 9 — in the middle of baseball’s season.
“There are challenges with the schedule, and there are challenges with major leaguers being involved,” Tony Clark said Thursday at the Baltimore Orioles’ spring training camp.
In 2008, players on major league 25-man rosters and disabled lists on June 26 were ineligible to play. The U.S. roster included 17 players from Triple-A, seven from Double-A and college pitcher Stephen Strasburg, now with the Washington Nationals.
“It doesn’t mean that we are not continuing to have dialogue. We have going back. We will going forward. Where we land, I don’t know,” Clark said. “One of the things we were able to discuss during this round of bargaining were some additional flexibility in the schedule moving forward. Maybe there are some opportunities for a broader discussion than there have been a year ago. We’ll have to wait and see. We haven’t had that kind of substantive sit down yet.”
Many players are preparing for the fourth edition of World Baseball Classic, an international tournament launched in 2006 that is co-owned by Major League Baseball and the union. Clark hopes to see a fifth edition in 2021.
“I see no reason at this point why it wouldn’t,” he said. “I’m hopeful it continues, understanding that the world we live in four years from now may be different from the one we’re in now.”
OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!
MORE: Some 2020 Olympic baseball games set 150 miles from Tokyo
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Lance Armstrong‘s $100 million legal fight with the federal government has been set for a November trial.
U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper on Thursday set a Nov. 6 trial start in Washington. Armstrong’s legal team had asked to postpone trial until 2018 because of a potential scheduling conflict.
The government wants Armstrong to pay back the $32 million the U.S. Postal Service paid his team for sponsorship, plus triple damages.
Armstrong’s former teammate Floyd Landis initially filed the whistle-blower case in 2010, accusing him of violating the sponsorship contract by taking performance-enhancing drugs. The government joined the case in 2013 after Armstrong admitted cheating and was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and 2000 Olympic bronze medal.
Landis, who was stripped of the 2006 Tour de France title for cheating, could collect up to 25 percent of damages awarded.
OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!
MORE: Armstrong intrigued by ultra marathon, obstacle-course races