Missy Franklin

Missy Franklin edged by fellow freshman in Cal debut

Leave a comment

Missy Franklin is not Queen of the Pool.

Franklin, the 16-time Olympic and world medalist, was beaten in her first college swim meet with Cal. Another Cal freshman, Celina Li, won the Cal Poly Queen of the Pool title over Franklin on Friday.

Li posted 4 minutes, 43.10 seconds combined over a pentathlon of events — 100-yard butterfly, 100 backstroke, 100 breaststroke, 100 freestyle and 100 individual medley. She nipped Franklin by .12 of a second. Li, 18, was sixth in the 200-meter IM at the 2012 U.S. Olympic trials.

“IM is definitely not my strong suit,” said Franklin, 18, who has only raced backstroke and freestyle at major international meets, in a video interview with the Santa Maria Times. “I was definitely just getting out there to race today.

“I can’t even put it into words. It was my first time racing in a Cal suit with a Cal cap on. I feel like it’s now officially official. It’s really happened. I’m a part of this team.”

Olympic and world relay champions Elizabeth Pelton and Rachel Bootsma were third and fourth, respectively.

Franklin’s already being recognized on campus at Berkeley. Cal sophomore swimmer Josh Prenot said he has a psychology class with Franklin, where people come up outside the classroom doors to ask for autographs and pictures.

“She’s so nice about it,” Prenot said, according to the Santa Maria Times. “She’ll sign every single person’s thing and take pictures with anyone.”

Cal finishes up its first meet in San Luis Obispo on Saturday, then travels to Oregon State and hosts Washington State in dual meets the next two Fridays.

The Franklin effect is already clear.

“It’s a little weird to see so many fans came this year,” Prenot said of King/Queen of the Pool. “There were not many people here last year. But everyone came out to see Missy.”

Ryan Lochte’s show finished after one season

Olympic champion, Tour de France runner-up tests positive

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Samuel Sanchez, a 2008 Olympic champion and 2010 Tour de France runner-up, was provisionally suspended after testing positive for a banned growth hormone on Aug. 9.

Sanchez, a 39-year-old Spaniard, was due to race the Vuelta a España starting Saturday but is now out indefinitely until the conclusion of his case. That may include the testing of his B sample.

Sanchez denied wrongdoing, saying the failed test was a surprise, according to Spanish news agency EFE.

Sanchez won the road race on the first day of the Beijing Games in a five-man sprint that also included Swiss Fabian Cancellara, who would win the time trial in 2008 and 2016, and Luxembourg’s Andy Schleck.

Two years later, Sanchez finished fourth in the Tour de France but was upgraded to second behind Schleck due to doping bans for original winner Alberto Contador and third-place Denis Menchov.

Sanchez also took the polka-dot jersey for best climber at the 2011 Tour and finished second and third at the Vuelta in 2009 and 2007, respectively.

Sanchez rode in the 2010 Tour wearing a special helmet honoring his Olympic title. He also got a tattoo behind his right shoulder commemorating the Beijing gold on Aug. 9, 2008.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Alberto Contador sets last Grand Tour before retirement

Victoria Azarenka may miss U.S. Open due to custody battle

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Olympic and Grand Slam champion Victoria Azarenka says her participation in the U.S. Open is in doubt because she might not be able to bring her son with her to New York as a result of her separation from the baby’s father.

Azarenka is “faced with a difficult situation which may not allow me to return to work right away,” according to a post on the former top-ranked player’s social media accounts Thursday. “No parent should have to decide between their child or their career.”

The 28-year-old from Belarus gave birth to Leo, her first child, in December, then returned to the tour in June.

Azarenka’s post said that shortly after Wimbledon — where Azarenka lost to Simona Halep in the fourth round on July 10 — she separated from her son’s father.

“As we work to resolve some of the legal processes, the way things stand now is that the only way I can play in the U.S. Open this year is if I leave Leo behind in California,” was posted on Azarenka’s social media, “which I’m not willing to do.”

The U.S. Open starts Aug. 28.

“I remain optimistic that in the coming days Leo’s father and I can put aside any differences and take steps in the right direction to more effectively work as a team and agree on an arrangement for all three of us to travel and for me to compete,” was posted, “but, more importantly, to ensure that Leo has a consistent presence from both of his parents.”

Azarenka was the runner-up in New York in 2012 and 2013, losing in the final each year to Serena Williams.

Those were also the years that Azarenka won her two Grand Slam singles titles in Australia.

Wimbledon was Azarenka’s first major tournament in more than a year. She currently is ranked 204th.

“Balancing child care and a career is not easy for any parent, but it is a challenge I am willing to face and embrace. I want to support men and women everywhere who know it is OK to be a working mother — or father. No one should ever have to decide between a child and their career, we are strong enough to do both,” was posted on Azarenka’s social media. “I am incredibly grateful for all of the support I have received from women and men around the world who recognize the importance of supporting working moms and our right to be with our children. I look forward to hopefully having positive developments soon so that this difficult situation can be resolved and I can get back to competing.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Past two men’s champions out of U.S. Open