New York City Marathon

New York City Marathon’s staging area affected by government shutdown

Leave a comment

The site where 45,000 runners are scheduled to congregate to start the New York City Marathon is closed due to the federal government shutdown.

Organizers for the Nov. 3 race are aware of this and are developing a contingency plan should Fort Wadsworth on Staten Island remain unavailable in three weeks’ time, according to reports. The plan would involve an alternate staging site but not a different starting line.

New York Road Runners CEO Mary Wittenberg said a plan for an alternate Staten Island staging site was 70 percent complete Thursday, according to the Wall Street Journal.

A decision on a separate staging plan is expected to be made next week, according to the report.

The 2012 New York City Marathon was canceled due to Superstorm Sandy. This year’s event will also have extra security after the Boston Marathon bombings on April 15.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and a New York Road Runners spokesperson have expressed confidence the New York City Marathon will proceed.

The Wall Street Journal also reported that as many as 3,000 charity spots remain open for entrants. A minimum of $2,500 must be raised for a charity spot.

Elite fields announced for NYC Marathon

Michael Phelps: I had to keep marriage ‘hush-hush’

FILE - In this Aug. 9, 2016, file photo, United States' swimmer Michael Phelps celebrates winning his gold medal in the men's 200-meter butterfly with his fiance Nicole Johnson and baby Boomer during the swimming competitions at the 2016 Summer Olympics, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Arizona Republic reported Oct. 26, 2016, that Phelps and Johnson secretly married on June 13, 2016. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum, File)
Leave a comment

Michael Phelps said Thursday that he had to keep his June marriage to Nicole Johnson “hush-hush.”

Phelps and Johnson, who got engaged in February 2015, were married June 13, though Phelps had been saying all summer and into the fall that they were not yet married.

“You guys probably already saw the article that was posted [about the marriage],” Phelps said, widening his eyes and sticking the tip of his tongue out while golfing shirtless with former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. “I’ve been married for a while, been married for while, couple months. I had to keep it secret from y’all. I had to keep it hush-hush from you guys. Nicole and I are married. We are officially married.”

Phelps and Johnson welcomed baby boy Boomer on May 5.

“Why is it a secret? Just because. … Baby No. 2 may be coming soon, who knows though,” Phelps said.

VIDEO: Phelps in ‘Call of Duty’ trailer

Karolyis named in lawsuit against ex-USA Gymnastics doctor

In a July 15, 2008 photo, Dr. Larry Nassar works on the computer after seeing a patient in Michigan. Multiple gymnasts, including a member of the 2000 U.S. women's Olympic team, said they were sexually abused by Nassar, a former longtime doctor for USA Gymnastics, court documents and interviews show. (Becky Shink/Lansing State Journal via AP)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A former gymnast on the U.S. women’s national team is the latest athlete to accuse a longtime team doctor of sexual abuse.

But she’s the first to allege renowned husband-and-wife coaches Bela and Martha Karolyi knew about the abuse and did nothing to stop it.

The lawsuit filed Thursday in Los Angeles contends Dr. Larry Nassar repeatedly sexually abused the now-24-year-old gymnast when she was on the team from 2006 to 2011.

It says the Karolyis, and the current and former presidents of USA Gymnastics knew of molestations committed by Nassar before and during his employment, “yet chose to allow him to remain unsupervised,” allowing further abuse.

Nassar’s lawyer and the Karolyis didn’t respond to messages Thursday. Nassar’s lawyer has previously denied abuse allegations by two other gymnasts.

USA Gymnastics is also named in the suit. The Indiana-based governing body denies wrongdoing.

MORE: Michigan State fires Nassar after sexual abuse accusations