Lindsey Vonn

Lindsey Vonn makes decision on whether to race World Cup opener

2 Comments

Lindsey Vonn will not race at the season-opening World Cup stop in Soelden, Austria, on Saturday.

“While I physically feel great, I have decided to not race this weekend and instead will focus on returning in Beaver Creek,” she said Wednesday, according to the U.S. Ski Team. “I am confident the extra month of training will ultimately put me in the best position to have a successful season.”

She had been training in Austria for the last week.

Vonn, 29, will now seek to return for the first speed races of the season in Beaver Creek, Colo., beginning Nov. 29. She blew out her right knee in a crash at the World Championships in Schladming, Austria, in February.

Beaver Creek was the original planned return date until her rehab went so well that, after returning to skiing on snow in September, she considered moving her comeback up a month for Saturday’s giant slalom.

The Soelden favorite should be reigning overall World Cup champion Tina Maze of Slovenia, who took the crown of world’s greatest all-around skier with a record-breaking campaign last year.

The U.S. starters for Soelden are scheduled to be Julia MancusoMikaela Shiffrin and Megan McJames on Saturday and Ted LigetyBode Miller, Tim JitloffTommy BiesemeyerRobby Kelley and Kieffer Christianson on Sunday.

Ligety is the reigning World Cup giant slalom champion and World Champion in the event. Miller missed all of last season, recovering from left knee surgery.

“My physical preparation is probably the best it’s been in a long time,” Miller said. “In taking a year away from the World Cup, I’ve been able to let my knee heal completely. I’m ready to return to the World Cup on a hill where I had one of the first wins of my career.”

Universal Sports will have online and TV coverage of the Soelden races this weekend.

Video: Vonn films first crash since return to skiing

U.S. senators speak up as women’s hockey worlds near with no resolution

Getty Images
Leave a comment

WASHINGTON (AP) — Sixteen U.S. senators wrote a letter to USA Hockey’s executive director Monday over their concerns about the treatment of the women’s national team.

Players have threatened to boycott the upcoming world championships over a wage dispute. The senators, all Democrats, urged David Ogrean to resolve the matter and ensure the team receives “equitable resources.” They cited the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act.

USA Hockey’s board of directors meets Monday, and players said Sunday night they hope there’s a deal.

The senators, all Democrats, joined a chorus of support that includes unions representing players from the NHL, NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball. Those organizations said over the weekend they stood with the women’s team and criticized USA Hockey for attempting to find replacement players.

Prominent NHL agent Allan Walsh tweeted Sunday, “Word circulating among NHL players that American players will refuse to play in men’s World Championships in solidarity with the women.”

Zach Bogosian, an American-born Buffalo Sabres defenseman, went to high school with U.S. captain Meghan Duggan. He tweeted his support and said he hopes the dispute is resolved.

The U.S. is the defending champion at the International Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship, which begins Friday in Plymouth, Michigan.

In negotiations over the past 15 months, players have asked for a four-year contract that pays them outside the six-month Olympic period. The senators’ letter notes the $6,000 that players earn around the Olympics and USA Hockey’s $3.5 million annual spending on the men’s national team development program and other discrepancies.

“These elite athletes indeed deserve fairness and respect, and we hope you will be a leader on this issue as women continue to push for equality in athletics,” the senators wrote.

In a statement Sunday night, players said they hoped USA Hockey would approve terms discussed during a meeting last week. They said the agreement has the “potential to be a game changer for everyone.”

The letter was signed by: Elizabeth Warren and Edward Markey of Massachusetts, Patty Murray of Washington, Dianne Feinstein of California, Patrick Leahy of Vermont, Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire, Sherrod Brown of Ohio, Thomas Carper of Delaware, Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin, Robert Menendez and Cory Booker of New Jersey, Mazie Hirono of Hawaii, Bob Casey of Pennsylvania, Kirsten Gillibrand of New York and Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Stanley Cup-winning goalie joins U.S. women’s coaching staff

Ugandan Olympian’s body shuts down at World Cross-Country Champs (video)

1 Comment

Ugandan Joshua Cheptegei went from leading the race to finishing 30th in the final kilometer at the World Cross-Country Championships in Kampala, Uganda, on Sunday.

Cheptegei, a 20-year-old Olympian, saw his body shut down in the last four minutes of his race.

His stride shortened. His pace slowed. Cheptegei appeared on the verge of falling. At one point, a teammate deliberately pushed him from behind to keep going.

Cheptegei led by 12 seconds going into the final two-kilometer lap. He would finish 1 minute, 44 seconds behind Kenyan winner Geoffrey Kamworor, with 28 other runners separating them after the 10km race that took about a half-hour.

Cheptegei’s body movement looked similar to that of British triathlete Jonny Brownlee, who had to be helped to the finish line by brother Alistair Brownlee at the World Triathlon Series Grand Final in Cozumel, Mexico, in September.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Ryan Hall says 7 marathons in 7 days gave him ‘sense of closure’