American Steve Holcomb‘s Olympic season is off to a perfect start.
The reigning Olympic champion piloted the USA-1 four-man bobsled to victory at the opening World Cup stop in Calgary, Alberta, on Saturday. He also won the two-man competition on Friday night.
On Saturday, Holcomb and push athletes Curt Tomasevicz, Steve Langton and Chris Fogt navigated the track in a two-run time of 1 minute, 48.56 seconds. They beat a German sled piloted by Maximilian Arndt and a Russian sled piloted by Aleksandr Zubkov by .09 of a second.
It’s the first time in seven years that a pilot won both the opening two- and four-man World Cup races. The two-time Olympian Holcomb, 33, had never accomplished the opening double before.
“We’re still fine tuning it,” Holcomb said. “I think we’re only going to get better.”
The other U.S. sleds, piloted by Nick Cunningham and Cory Butner, finished in 12th and 15th place, respectively.
The bobsled World Cup moves to Holcomb’s hometown of Park City, Utah, next week.
1. Steve Holcomb (USA) 1:48.56
2. Maximilian Arndt (GER) 1:48.65
2. Aleksander Zubkov (RUS) 1:48.65
12. Nick Cunnigham (USA) 1:49.22
15. Cory Butner (USA) 1:49.35
Bobsled season storylines
Lindsey Vonn partied with fellow Under Armour sports stars Tom Brady and Jordan Spieth as well as rapper Vanilla Ice on Wednesday.
The company held its 20th anniversary party in Baltimore, where it’s based.
Vonn is living it up in her offseason following another knee injury but is expected to be ready for the start of the 2016-17 season this fall.
MORE: Vonn details ‘excruciating pain’ from season-ending crash
Australian golfer Marc Leishman will miss the Rio Olympics due to his wife’s health.
“Many of you may know that last April my children and I almost lost my wife, Audrey, to toxic shock syndrome,” Leishman said in a statement. “Since then Audrey has been prone to infection and is far removed from 100 percent recovery of her immune system.
“We have consulted with Audrey’s physician and due to her ongoing recovery from toxic shock and potential risks associated with the transmission of the Zika virus, it was a difficult yet easy decision not to participate.
“I missed playing in the 2015 Masters tournament to be at her side when she was originally stricken and I cannot risk placing her health in jeopardy.
“The Masters and the Olympics are the two biggest tournaments to which a golfer can be invited; however, my family will always come before golf.”
Leishman, 32 with one PGA Tour win, joined the projected Olympic field when countryman Adam Scott said last month that he would skip Rio.
World No. 1 Jason Day is assured one of two Olympic spots for Australian men when the 60-man field is determined based on July 11 world rankings.
With No. 7 Scott and No. 35 Leishman out, the next-best Aussie is No. 63 Marcus Fraser.
Three more major champions — Vijay Singh, Louis Oosthuizen and Charl Schwartzel — also said in April they would not compete in Rio.
Golf returns to the Olympics for the first time since 1904.
MORE: Australia Olympic legend blasts Adam Scott