Vladimir Pozner

Vladimir Pozner to join NBC Olympics coverage in Sochi

Leave a comment

Moscow-based TV journalist Vladimir Pozner will be a correspondent for NBC Olympics’ late-night show with Bob Costas during the Sochi Games.

“With his deep Russian roots and American upbringing, Vladimir Pozner is uniquely qualified to provide a Russian outlook to our audience during the Sochi Olympics,” said Jim Bell, Executive Producer, NBC Olympics. “At yet another significant moment in Russia’s history, we are thrilled to be able to share his perspective on the host country and the Games.”

Pozner, 79, was born in Paris and lived in New York for part of his childhood. He hosts a weekly live talk show in Moscow.

In the 1980s, Pozner co-hosted a series of TV discussions among citizens of the Soviet Union and the U.S. called the “U.S.-Soviet Space Bridge.” Pozner hosted an audience in a Soviet city with a U.S. counterpart hosting an audience in a U.S. city.

He has appeared on “TODAY” and “Nightline” in addition to co-hosting “Pozner/Donahue” with Phil Donahue on CNBC from 1991-96.

The New Yorker editor to join NBC Sochi Olympics coverage

Buffalo Bills WR Marquise Goodwin eyes Rio Olympics

TORONTO, ON - JULY 22:  Marquise Goodwin of the United States holds the American flag after winning the silver medal in the men's long jump during Day 12 of the Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games on July 22, 2015 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Buffalo Bills wide receiver and long jumper Marquise Goodwin will compete in the U.S. Olympic Track and Field Trials in July in an attempt to make his second Olympic team, according to ESPN.com.

“I’ll be doing track this offseason,” Goodwin said, according to the report. “Just trying to accomplish all the dreams I set out to do, while I can, while I’m still able-bodied. As I mentioned plenty of times before, I got a sister who never walked a day in her life. And if she had the ability to do something, she’d do it to the best of her ability, everything she could. So why not take advantage of what I have, the blessings that I was blessed with, instead of just limiting myself to football, when I could be [competing in] two sports.”

Goodwin, 25, played in two games for the Bills this season, catching two passes, before being placed on injured reserve with a rib injury in October.

On June 25, Goodwin placed fourth in the U.S. Outdoor Championships long jump in his first competition since finishing 10th at the London Olympics. The top three made the team for last August’s World Championships.

Goodwin ranked No. 7 overall in the U.S. in the long jump in 2015, according to USA Track and Field. The top three in the Olympic trials final July 3 are in line to make the Rio Olympic team.

The Rio Olympic long jump final is Aug. 13, a date that fell during Week 1 of the NFL preseason schedule last year.

MORE TRACK AND FIELD: Boston Marathon film to go beyond 2013 attacks

Olympic weightlifting champ banned for allegedly beating up junior lifter

Sa Jae-hyouk
Getty Images
Leave a comment

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea’s weightlifting authorities on Monday suspended an Olympic gold medalist for 10 years for allegedly beating up a junior weightlifter, officials said.

Local media reported that Sa Jae-hyouk, who won the 77kg division at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, attacked fellow athlete Hwang Woo-man near a bar in the city of Chuncheon on Thursday, leaving the 21-year-old with injuries that require six weeks of medical treatment.

Police in Chuncheon could not immediately confirm the reports, which said that police had questioned Sa.

The Korea Weightlifting Federation said in a statement that it is “deeply sorry for causing a concern to the public” by the alleged incident.

Hwang told South Korean media that Sa attacked him because he talked to acquaintances about a previous incident involving the pair.

MORE WEIGHTLIFTING: North Korean Olympic champ banned