Mark McMorris

Mark McMorris wins Dew Tour slopestyle with Shaun White injured (video)

1 Comment

There was no Shaun WhiteMark McMorris showdown Sunday. Even if healthy, it’s unlikely White would have taken down the Canadian.

McMorris, a Saskatchewan rider, blew away the snowboard slopestyle field at the Dew Tour iON Mountain Championships in Breckenridge, Colo. The two-time reigning Winter X Games champion had the best opening run, a conservative (for him) ride that scored 95.00 points.

McMorris went even bigger in his second run, landing a triple cork on the final jump for a 97.80.

“If everything was going good the last run, I was going to do it [the triple],” McMorris, who qualified into the final in 11th place, said on NBCSN. “Sure enough I was headed into the last jump, and I did it. It felt really good.

“I feel like I did my best.”

White led qualifying with a 93.20 on Friday before suffering an ankle injury in Saturday’s halfpipe final.

McMorris, 20, took the mantle as world’s best slopestyle snowboarder after White ruled the discipline a decade ago.

White, 27, won every X Games title from 2003 to 2006 before focusing more on halfpipe. White was fifth at the most recent X Games in January, won by McMorris. He missed Sunday’s anticipated rematch with an ankle injury.

McMorris won by more than five points over Swede Sven Thorgren. Canadian Max Parrot was third. Chas Guldemond was the top American finisher in fifth, taking the lead in the race to make the U.S. Olympic Team.

Breckenridge marked the first of five Olympic selection events for snowboarding and freeskiing. The next four events are on the U.S. Grand Prix schedule — Copper Mountain, Colo., next weekend, followed by Northstar, Calif., Park City, Utah, and Mammoth Mountain, Calif.

The five events will determine Olympians in snowboard halfpipe and the new Olympic events of snowboard slopestyle and ski halfpipe and ski slopestyle. The Olympic rosters are expected to be announced Jan. 22.

The overall Olympic qualification standings will be determined by the two best results for an athlete over the selection events. No more than four athletes can make the U.S. Olympic Team per event. It’s possible fewer than four will be named for some events.

“It’s such an amazing feeling,” McMorris said on NBCSN. “I was so glad to put down what I came out here to do. It’s always nice to get two good runs down. I couldn’t ask to start my season on a better note.”

Breckenridge Men’s Snowboard Slopestyle
1. Mark McMorris (CAN) 97.80
2. Sven Thorgren (SWE) 91.00
3. Max Parrot (CAN) 89.00

Video: American wins ski slopestyle final without poles

Michael Phelps: I had to keep marriage ‘hush-hush’

FILE - In this Aug. 9, 2016, file photo, United States' swimmer Michael Phelps celebrates winning his gold medal in the men's 200-meter butterfly with his fiance Nicole Johnson and baby Boomer during the swimming competitions at the 2016 Summer Olympics, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Arizona Republic reported Oct. 26, 2016, that Phelps and Johnson secretly married on June 13, 2016. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum, File)
Leave a comment

Michael Phelps said Thursday that he had to keep his June marriage to Nicole Johnson “hush-hush.”

Phelps and Johnson, who got engaged in February 2015, were married June 13, though Phelps had been saying all summer and into the fall that they were not yet married.

“You guys probably already saw the article that was posted [about the marriage],” Phelps said, widening his eyes and sticking the tip of his tongue out while golfing shirtless with former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. “I’ve been married for a while, been married for while, couple months. I had to keep it secret from y’all. I had to keep it hush-hush from you guys. Nicole and I are married. We are officially married.”

Phelps and Johnson welcomed baby boy Boomer on May 5.

“Why is it a secret? Just because. … Baby No. 2 may be coming soon, who knows though,” Phelps said.

VIDEO: Phelps in ‘Call of Duty’ trailer

Karolyis named in lawsuit against ex-USA Gymnastics doctor

In a July 15, 2008 photo, Dr. Larry Nassar works on the computer after seeing a patient in Michigan. Multiple gymnasts, including a member of the 2000 U.S. women's Olympic team, said they were sexually abused by Nassar, a former longtime doctor for USA Gymnastics, court documents and interviews show. (Becky Shink/Lansing State Journal via AP)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A former gymnast on the U.S. women’s national team is the latest athlete to accuse a longtime team doctor of sexual abuse.

But she’s the first to allege renowned husband-and-wife coaches Bela and Martha Karolyi knew about the abuse and did nothing to stop it.

The lawsuit filed Thursday in Los Angeles contends Dr. Larry Nassar repeatedly sexually abused the now-24-year-old gymnast when she was on the team from 2006 to 2011.

It says the Karolyis, and the current and former presidents of USA Gymnastics knew of molestations committed by Nassar before and during his employment, “yet chose to allow him to remain unsupervised,” allowing further abuse.

Nassar’s lawyer and the Karolyis didn’t respond to messages Thursday. Nassar’s lawyer has previously denied abuse allegations by two other gymnasts.

USA Gymnastics is also named in the suit. The Indiana-based governing body denies wrongdoing.

MORE: Michigan State fires Nassar after sexual abuse accusations