Slopestyle snowboard medal hopeful Horgmo out of Olympics (UPDATED)

Leave a comment

UPDATE (9:35 a.m. ET): Officials have confirmed that changes will indeed be made to the Rosa Khutor Extreme Park slopestyle course after top Norwegian snowboarder Torstein Horgmo (pictured) suffered a broken collarbone in a training crash today and was subsequently ruled out of the Olympics.

The New York Times reports that male and female snowboarders proposed those changes in a meeting with officials following the training session. Assistant snowboard race director Roberto Moresi said that the course would be modified ahead of Thursday’s qualifications.

Per the Olympic News Service, Horgmo crashed on the rail feature at the top of the course. He was awake and alert according to Norway’s team manager, Thomas Harstad, before being taken via ambulance to the athletes’ hospital in Krasnaya Polyana.

“It was on the first rail element it happened,” team coach Per-Iver Grimsrud said according to Reuters. “He was doing a switch hardway, backside 270. He landed wrong on the rail, and then he fell into the stairs to the side.”

Horgmo, 26, the gold medal winner in Big Air at the 2013 Winter X Games, had been considered a threat to take one of the first-ever medals in the slopestyle snowboarding competition, which will have its medal events take place on Saturday (men’s) and Sunday (women’s).

Irish snowboarder Seamus O’Connor had said the riders needed to speak up about fixing some of the jumps on the course, while 2013 slopestyle world champion Roope Tonteri of Finland dubbed the entire course “pretty sketchy.”

“I think they wanted to make big kickers, and it’s not really good for riders, and it’s not really safe,” Tonteri told the Associated Press. “I just don’t want to get injured. It’s not a really fun course to ride.”

source:
Workers make changes to the Sochi Olympic slopestyle course. Credit: Nick Casanova/NBC Sports

J.R. Celski watches Seahawks win Super Bowl with Heiden, Holcomb

World Cup champ lands first quad cork 1800 (video)

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Switzerland’s Andri Ragettli landed what’s being touted as the first ski quad cork 1800 in a video published recently.

Ragettli, 18, is one of the leading slopestyle skiers in the world. He won the World Cup season title in 2015-16 and placed second this year, in addition to fifth- and sixth-place finishes at the last two Winter X Games.

Previously, Ragettli became the first slopestyle skier to land back-to-back triples in a full competition at the 2016 Winter X Games, according to ESPN.com.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: McMorris’ brother details life-threatening crash

Mark McMorris’ brother details snowboarder’s life-threatening crash

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mark McMorris‘ life was in danger after the snowboarder crashed into an area of trees riding in the backcountry in British Columbia on Saturday, according to Postmedia News, quoting older brother Craig.

Craig was there when McMorris, the Sochi slopestyle bronze medalist, suffered a fractured jaw, fractured left arm, ruptured spleen, stable pelvic fracture, rib fractures and a collapsed left lung.

McMorris was found conscious, but he was struggling to breathe with blood in his mouth, according to Canadian media.

“You can die from that, from bleeding out,” Craig said, according to Postmedia News. “But it was so hard for him to breathe, so that was my biggest concern with time. I communicated that to the search and rescue, and that’s why they got there as fast as they possibly could. Mark knew it was super bad. I knew it was super bad. But you just have to think positive, and that’s why he is still here.

More details of the rescue, via Postmedia News:

Craig McMorris and a handful of friends on site peeled off their jackets to create a nest for the injured Olympian. The couldn’t move him for fear of a spinal cord injury, and hypothermia was a real danger while waiting about 90 minutes for search and rescue personnel to arrive. Every minute counted due to the ruptured spleen.

“I’ve been involved in backcountry rescues before,” Craig said, according to the Canadian Press. “This was by far the gnarliest and most severe.”

An airlift to a hospital, two surgeries and two days later, McMorris was looking more upbeat in his hospital bed on both brothers’ Instagram pages Monday.

He has been named to Canada’s Olympic team for PyeongChang, and Craig believes he will be there to compete. Before the accident, McMorris was considered a gold-medal threat in slopestyle and the new event of big air.

“It’s been 48 hours, and he’s gone from being the most broken human to talking and communicating,” Craig said, according to Postmedia News. “In his mind, he’s going to the Olympics. In my mind, he’s going to the Olympics. There’s no reason why he can’t.”

McMorris has come back from injury before, but not this severe.

He won bronze in the first Olympic snowboard slopestyle event in Sochi, competing 12 days after breaking a rib.

He has already come back in this Olympic cycle from breaking his right femur in an Air and Style big air run in Los Angeles on Feb. 21, 2016.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: McMorris, after horrible injury, ups risk for 2 golds in PyeongChang

Kids tough as nails. All good news from here on out. So much love

A post shared by Craig McMorris (@craigmcmorris) on