Oscar Pistorius

Oscar Pistorius said ‘everything is fine’ to security calling about gunshot reports (video)

Leave a comment

A security guard for Oscar Pistorius gated community testified Friday that Pistorius told him “everything is fine” when the guard called him after neighbors reported gunshots on the night he shot and killed girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

“Mr. Pistorius said to me, ‘Security, everything is fine,’” security guard Pieter Baba said through an interpreter at a Pretoria, South Africa, court. “That’s when I realized that Mr. Pistorius was crying.”

Baba then told another security guard that “not everything was in order as Mr. Pistorius was telling me.”

Pistorius called back, Baba answered, but Pistorius did not speak before the call ended, the guard said.

“Maybe he wasn’t sure about calling me back,” Baba said. “He just started crying over the phone.”

Pistorius, the first double amputee to run in the Olympics in 2012, is on trial for charges including murdering Steenkamp on the early morning of Valentine’s Day 2013. He could face 25 years to life in prison if convicted of premeditated murder. He shot four times through a bathroom door, hitting Steenkamp inside.

The prosecution asserts Pistorius shot through the door after an argument with Steenkamp. Pistorius has said he mistook Steenkamp for an intruder.

The security guard Baba said he spoke to Pistorius on the phone after driving to his house the night of the shooting. He then went inside and saw Pistorius carrying Steenkamp down stairs.

“I was so shocked,” Baba said. “Oscar Pistorius told me that everything was fine, only to come and find him carrying Reeva down.”

Earlier Friday, Pistorius’ ex-girlfriend Samantha Taylor testified that Pistorius carried a gun with him “all the time” while they were dating. Their relationship ended in November 2012, Taylor said.

Taylor also said on at least one occasion when she stayed with Pistorius that Pistorius woke her up during the night, got his gun, checked for an intruder in his house and found nothing.

The trial is scheduled to resume Monday at 2:30 a.m. ET.

Here’s NBC News’ full coverage of Pistorius’ trial.

Here’s Baba describing two phone calls with Pistorius:

Here’s Baba describing Pistorius carrying Steenkamp down stairs:

Here’s Taylor saying Pistorius carried a gun with him “all the time:”

Tweets from reporters in Pretoria:

Photos via The Associated Press:

source: AP
Pistorius arrives at court.
source: AP
Pistorius listens to questioning.
source: AP
Pistorius checks a phone with sister Aimee.

Video: Ato Boldon offers perspective on Oscar Pistorius

Marc Leishman will miss Olympics due to wife’s health, Zika

Marc Leishman
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Australian golfer Marc Leishman will miss the Rio Olympics due to his wife’s health.

“Many of you may know that last April my children and I almost lost my wife, Audrey, to toxic shock syndrome,” Leishman said in a statement. “Since then Audrey has been prone to infection and is far removed from 100 percent recovery of her immune system.

“We have consulted with Audrey’s physician and due to her ongoing recovery from toxic shock and potential risks associated with the transmission of the Zika virus, it was a difficult yet easy decision not to participate.

“I missed playing in the 2015 Masters tournament to be at her side when she was originally stricken and I cannot risk placing her health in jeopardy.

“The Masters and the Olympics are the two biggest tournaments to which a golfer can be invited; however, my family will always come before golf.”

Leishman, 32 with one PGA Tour win, joined the projected Olympic field when countryman Adam Scott said last month that he would skip Rio.

World No. 1 Jason Day is assured one of two Olympic spots for Australian men when the 60-man field is determined based on July 11 world rankings.

With No. 7 Scott and No. 35 Leishman out, the next-best Aussie is No. 63 Marcus Fraser.

Three more major champions — Vijay Singh, Louis Oosthuizen and Charl Schwartzel — also said in April they would not compete in Rio.

Golf returns to the Olympics for the first time since 1904.

MORE: Australia Olympic legend blasts Adam Scott

Rory McIlroy worried Olympic golf may be done after 2020

Rory McIlroy
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Rory McIlroy believes golf may not remain in the Olympics after 2020 following a string of major champions announcing they will skip the sport’s return at the Rio Games.

“Because of how [Olympic golf is] being approached in golf circles … I’m not sure if we’re going to have another opportunity to win a gold medal after [Tokyo 2020],” McIlroy said ahead of the Wells Fargo Championship in Charlotte, N.C., on Wednesday.

In 2009, the International Olympic Committee voted to re-add golf and rugby to the Olympic program for the 2016 Olympics, with a review in 2017 if they would remain for the 2020 Olympics.

In 2013, Tokyo was elected host city for the 2020 Olympics with a plan that includes golf.

Beyond 2020, golf does not yet have a place in the Olympics. Its chances for the 2024 Olympics could come into focus when that host city is chosen in September 2017.

McIlroy, ranked No. 3 in the world, has repeated he will play for Ireland in the first Olympic golf tournament since 1904 in Rio in August.

Fellow major champions Adam ScottLouis OosthuizenCharl Schwartzel and Vijay Singh said last month they will not play in the Rio Olympics.

MORE: Golf Channel’s Olympic broadcast schedule