Oscar Pistorius

Prosecution’s case end in sight after Oscar Pistorius’ iPad search history revealed

1 Comment

The prosecution expects to close its case against Oscar Pistorius by early next week after calling four or five more witnesses, it said at the double amputee’s murder trial Wednesday.

The trial was adjourned until Monday to allow the prosecution more time to consult with potential witnesses. Pistorius is expected to testify after the prosecution closes it case.

“I am advised that I will have an opportunity to deal with a comprehensive version of the events when I testify,” was read by one his lawyers as part of his plea explanation on March 3, the first day of the trial.

Also Wednesday, a technology expert testified while court-room screens displayed the web search history of one of Pistorius’ iPads from Feb. 13, 2013, the day before he fatally shot girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

The searches, according to court reports, included queries for cars — Ford Ranger, Aston Martin, Autotrader SA, Daytona Group, Morgan Aeromax — and pornography.

Earlier, ballistics investigator Capt. Christiaan Mangena said Steenkamp was most likely standing and facing a closed bathroom door when she was hit in the right hip by the first of four shots by Pistorius through the door on the early morning of Valentine’s Day 2013.

Pistorius has said he thought he was firing at an intruder locked inside his bathroom with his 9mm pistol. The prosecution asserts Pistorius killed Steenkamp after an argument. He could face 25 years in prison if convicted of premeditated murder.

The impact of Pistorius’ first shot caused Steenkamp to fall back onto a magazine holder, Mangena said. Two more shots hit Steenkamp in the right arm and head. The shot that hit her head went through her left hand as Steenkamp had raised her arms after the first bullet and into a “defensive position,” Mangena believed.

Mangena also said Pistorius was most likely not wearing his prosthetic legs when he shot through the door, which agrees with Pistorius’ and the prosecution’s version of events.

Also Wednesday, police blood splatter expert Col. Ian van der Nest testified that Steenkamp’s body showed no signs of “blunt force” wounds outside of the bullets that struck her.

He said blood splatter marks in Pistorius’ Pretoria home were consistent with Pistorius’ version of events that he carried Steenkamp downstairs after retrieving her from the bathroom where she was shot.

Here’s NBC News’ coverage of the Pistorius trial.

Here’s prosecutor Gerrie Nel having a tablet malfunction Wednesday:

Social media statistics for Sochi 2014

Syria-born Olympian takes advocacy role at U.N. refugee agency

Getty Images
Leave a comment

GENEVA (AP) — The U.N. refugee agency has chosen as a goodwill ambassador a Syrian teenage girl who helped save a boat carrying fellow refugees and later became an Olympic swimmer.

Yusra Mardini was appointed as UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador on Thursday, joining other notables like actress Cate Blanchett and author Khaled Hosseini in the unpaid advocacy role.

UNHCR chief Filippo Grandi said Mardini “represents the hopes, the fears and the incredible potential of the more than 10 million young refugees around the globe.”

Mardini and her sister Sarah jumped overboard and swam for hours alongside their overloaded boat to reach Greece from Turkey in 2015.

She swam on the first Refugee Olympic team in Rio last year and has discussed refugees’ challenges with leaders like Pope Francis and President Barack Obama.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Serena Williams comments on 2020 Olympics during pregnancy

Rafael Nadal recreates famous 1992 Olympic cauldron lighting

AP
Leave a comment

Rafael Nadal, owner of two Olympic gold medals, recently parroted arguably the most famous moment in Spanish Olympic history.

Nadal and Marc Lopez, the 2016 Olympic doubles champions, took up bows and arrows and joined archer Antonio Rebollo on Monday at the 1992 Barcelona Olympic Stadium. It brought back memories of Rebollo’s unforgettable cauldron lighting from the only Olympics held in Spain.

Nadal is in Barcelona for an ATP Tour event as he prepares to vie for a 10th French Open title next month.

Rebollo, now 61 years old, was one of 200 hundred archers considered to light the cauldron in 1992. He learned that he was chosen for the role over four other finalists two hours ahead of time, according to an NBC Olympics profile in 1996.

The cauldron would be 195 feet away. Fearing Rebollo would miss the target, organizers instructed him to fire his arrow beyond the stadium walls. As the arrow soared, a technician lit the natural gas flame with a remote control.

The illusion worked. The true story wasn’t revealed for another 20 years.

“There were no fears,” Rebollo, a Barcelona native who contracted polio at age 8, told NBC two decades ago. “I was practically a robot. I focused on my positioning and reaching the target. That was all. … My feelings were taken from the people who described to me how they saw it. What they felt, their emotions, their cries. This is what made me realize what the moment actually meant.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Serena Williams comments on 2020 Olympics during pregnancy