Oscar Pistorius is selling his home where he shot and killed girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp to pay for legal costs associated with his ongoing murder trial.
Pistorius, the first double amputee to run in the Olympics in 2012, “cannot contemplate ever returning to live there again,” lawyer Brian Webber said in a statement.
Pistorius has had access to the house, valued at over $450,000 at last year’s bail hearing, for over a year but hasn’t returned, leaving it sealed.
Pistorius shot four times through a bathroom door, hitting Steenkamp inside his Pretoria, South Africa, home on the early morning of Valentine’s Day 2013.
Pistorius has said he fired thinking there was an intruder locked inside the bathroom. Prosecutors say he fatally shot Steenkamp after an argument that night. He could face 25 years in prison if convicted of premeditated murder.
The trial concluded its 13th day Wednesday, and the prosecution expects to close its case early next week. The trial will resume Monday, and it could last into April and longer. The increasing legal fees with a longer trial caused Pistorius to sell his home.
“Due to the delay in finalizing the trial, the decision to urgently dispose of his single biggest asset, has had to be made,” the statement read.
The ultimate Olympic NCAA Tournament bracket
Michael Phelps said Thursday that he had to keep his June marriage to Nicole Johnson “hush-hush.”
Phelps and Johnson, who got engaged in February 2015, were married June 13, though Phelps had been saying all summer and into the fall that they were not yet married.
“You guys probably already saw the article that was posted [about the marriage],” Phelps said, widening his eyes and sticking the tip of his tongue out while golfing shirtless with former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. “I’ve been married for a while, been married for while, couple months. I had to keep it secret from y’all. I had to keep it hush-hush from you guys. Nicole and I are married. We are officially married.”
Phelps and Johnson welcomed baby boy Boomer on May 5.
“Why is it a secret? Just because. … Baby No. 2 may be coming soon, who knows though,” Phelps said.
VIDEO: Phelps in ‘Call of Duty’ trailer
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A former gymnast on the U.S. women’s national team is the latest athlete to accuse a longtime team doctor of sexual abuse.
But she’s the first to allege renowned husband-and-wife coaches Bela and Martha Karolyi knew about the abuse and did nothing to stop it.
The lawsuit filed Thursday in Los Angeles contends Dr. Larry Nassar repeatedly sexually abused the now-24-year-old gymnast when she was on the team from 2006 to 2011.
It says the Karolyis, and the current and former presidents of USA Gymnastics knew of molestations committed by Nassar before and during his employment, “yet chose to allow him to remain unsupervised,” allowing further abuse.
Nassar’s lawyer and the Karolyis didn’t respond to messages Thursday. Nassar’s lawyer has previously denied abuse allegations by two other gymnasts.
USA Gymnastics is also named in the suit. The Indiana-based governing body denies wrongdoing.
MORE: Michigan State fires Nassar after sexual abuse accusations