Oscar Pistorius

Oscar Pistorius expected to testify with prosecution’s case wrapped


The prosecution closed its case against Oscar Pistorius in the Olympian’s murder trial Tuesday.

Pistorius then made brief comments to media, and one of his lawyers said there’s “no choice” but to put Pistorius on the witness stand after the trial resumes Friday.

The trial is off the next two days to allow the defense time to contact and consult with witnesses who were not called to testify by the prosecution in the first 15 days of the trial.

Questions of if Pistorius would testify in his own defense were answered by lawyer Brian Webber after Tuesday’s session.

Pistorius’ plea explanation on March 3 indicated he would testify.

“I am advised that I will have an opportunity to deal with a comprehensive version of the events when I testify,” was read by one his lawyers.

Pistorius briefly spoke with reporters after Tuesday’s session in Pretoria.

Pistorius, the first double amputee to run in the Olympics in 2012, is on trial for charges including the premeditated murder of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on the early morning of Valentine’s Day 2013.

He could face at least 25 years in prison if convicted of premeditated murder. He said he shot four times through a door, hitting and killing Steenkamp, thinking there was an intruder locked in his bathroom on Valentine’s Day 2013.

The prosecution said Pistorius shot after an argument with Steenkamp.

The court heard testimony Tuesday from three witnesses before the prosecution wrapped its case.

Police Capt. Francois Moller returned, one day after reading text messages between Pistorius and Steenkamp that showed arguing between the couple in the weeks before the shooting.

On Tuesday, Moller read a larger amount of loving text messages between the couple.

He also detailed the timing of calls made from one of Pistorius’ cell phones to Steenkamp on the day before the shooting and calls made from the cell phone after the shooting. Calls were made to emergency and security numbers, friends and family in the early morning after the shooting.

Police officer Adriaan Maritz testified about crime in the area around Pistorius’ home in Pretoria from January 2011 to April 2013.

Finally, Col. J.G. Vermeulen returned to the stand, after first doing so two weeks ago, and was questioned about an additional mark on the bathroom door that Pistorius shot through and said he broke into with a cricket bat.

Here’s NBC News’ coverage of the Pistorius trial.

IOC opposes bid to trademark Olympic four-ring glitch logo

Michael Phelps: I had to keep marriage ‘hush-hush’

FILE - In this Aug. 9, 2016, file photo, United States' swimmer Michael Phelps celebrates winning his gold medal in the men's 200-meter butterfly with his fiance Nicole Johnson and baby Boomer during the swimming competitions at the 2016 Summer Olympics, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Arizona Republic reported Oct. 26, 2016, that Phelps and Johnson secretly married on June 13, 2016. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum, File)
Leave a comment

Michael Phelps said Thursday that he had to keep his June marriage to Nicole Johnson “hush-hush.”

Phelps and Johnson, who got engaged in February 2015, were married June 13, though Phelps had been saying all summer and into the fall that they were not yet married.

“You guys probably already saw the article that was posted [about the marriage],” Phelps said, widening his eyes and sticking the tip of his tongue out while golfing shirtless with former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. “I’ve been married for a while, been married for while, couple months. I had to keep it secret from y’all. I had to keep it hush-hush from you guys. Nicole and I are married. We are officially married.”

Phelps and Johnson welcomed baby boy Boomer on May 5.

“Why is it a secret? Just because. … Baby No. 2 may be coming soon, who knows though,” Phelps said.

VIDEO: Phelps in ‘Call of Duty’ trailer

Karolyis named in lawsuit against ex-USA Gymnastics doctor

In a July 15, 2008 photo, Dr. Larry Nassar works on the computer after seeing a patient in Michigan. Multiple gymnasts, including a member of the 2000 U.S. women's Olympic team, said they were sexually abused by Nassar, a former longtime doctor for USA Gymnastics, court documents and interviews show. (Becky Shink/Lansing State Journal via AP)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A former gymnast on the U.S. women’s national team is the latest athlete to accuse a longtime team doctor of sexual abuse.

But she’s the first to allege renowned husband-and-wife coaches Bela and Martha Karolyi knew about the abuse and did nothing to stop it.

The lawsuit filed Thursday in Los Angeles contends Dr. Larry Nassar repeatedly sexually abused the now-24-year-old gymnast when she was on the team from 2006 to 2011.

It says the Karolyis, and the current and former presidents of USA Gymnastics knew of molestations committed by Nassar before and during his employment, “yet chose to allow him to remain unsupervised,” allowing further abuse.

Nassar’s lawyer and the Karolyis didn’t respond to messages Thursday. Nassar’s lawyer has previously denied abuse allegations by two other gymnasts.

USA Gymnastics is also named in the suit. The Indiana-based governing body denies wrongdoing.

MORE: Michigan State fires Nassar after sexual abuse accusations