Usain Bolt

Usain Bolt suffered foot injury

4 Comments

Usain Bolt had a foot injury but will return to training next week and not miss any meets he had already scheduled, his agent said.

“It was nothing major, his foot was sore and he went to Munich for treatment,” Ricky Simms said in an email. “He is back in Jamaica now and able to resume training next week. We have not cancelled any of the meets that were previously announced.”

L’Equipe reported Bolt was in Munich for two weeks for treatment.

The six-time Olympic champion’s next scheduled meet is in Ostrava, Czech Republic, on June 17. Simms did not say if Bolt plans to enter any meets between now and June 17, though Agence France-Presse reported Bolt will not race before Ostrava.

Bolt has yet to race this year. A season debut in June would be late for him.

Last year, Bolt’s season debut came in Kingston at the Camperdown Classic on Feb. 9. He then ran in the Cayman Invitational on May 9 despite going into the meet with a hamstring injury. It was announced on March 19 that Bolt would run in Rome on June 6 in his Diamond League season debut.

There are no World Outdoor Championships or Olympics this year in track and field. It’s unknown if Bolt will run in the Commonwealth Games that begin in late July.

Bolt is slated to run in Paris on July 5 in and in Malmo, Sweden, on Aug. 5.

Michael Johnson analyzes Bolt

Best photos from red carpet of the Team USA Awards

Twitter: @TeamUSA
Twitter: @TeamUSA
Leave a comment

Swimmers Allison Schmitt and Elizabeth Beisel hosted the Team USA Awards Red Carpet Show live on Facebook.

The show will air on NBCSN on Oct. 4 from 10-11 p.m. ET.

In the meantime, here are photos from the red carpet:

400 free gold medalists 🏅 #teamusaindc @usaswimming @kledecky

A photo posted by Becca Meyers (@beccameyers20) on

IOC sanctions 3 boxers for betting on fights at Rio Olympics

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - AUGUST 02:  Gold medalist Michael Conlan of Northern Ireland celebrates after the Men's Bantam (56kg) Final at SSE Hydro during day ten of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games on August 2, 2014 in Glasgow, Scotland.  (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — The IOC has sanctioned three boxers – two from Ireland and one from Britain – for betting on fights at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

The International Olympic Committee issued “severe reprimands” to Ireland’s Michael Conlan and Steve Donnelly and Britain’s Antony Fowler for violating the rules that prohibit betting.

None of the boxers won medals.

The IOC says all three placed bets on fights at the games, but adds that “there was no intent to manipulate any event.”

Athletes and officials are banned from betting on Olympic events and required to report any approach or suspicion of fixing.

The IOC says, in order to be eligible to compete in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the three boxers must undergo an “educational program.”

The Irish and British national Olympic committees also received reprimands for “not having properly informed” their athletes of the betting rules.

MORE: Claressa Shields congratulated by famous boxing actor (video)