San Diego 2024

San Diego submits proposal to USOC for 2024 Olympic bid

1 Comment

A San Diego group is serious about wanting to host the 2024 Olympics, submitting an 80-page proposal to the U.S. Olympic Committee, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

“We have excellent momentum,” Vincent Mudd, chairman of the San Diego 2024 Exploratory Committee, told the newspaper. “San Diego has something that doesn’t exist in other cities — a youthful culture and an active lifestyle.”

San Diego is so into it that it has received help from more than 700 part-time or full-time volunteers and plans to ask the public to choose a mascot and create a bid logo.

Previously, a joint San Diego-Tijuana, Mexico, bid was talked about, but that didn’t get very far as it was deemed all events must be held in the same country.

The USOC is not guaranteed to bid for the 2024 Olympics, but CEO Scott Blackmun repeated Wednesday that his organization was in discussions with fewer than 10 cities.

“We want to make a decision by the end of the year,” Blackmun said at the Best of U.S. Awards in Washington. “We feel like we’re on track to do that. We want to give everybody a chance to sit down and express why they would like to do this and sit down together and talk about it. Probably, we’ll start sitting down with our board in May or June and really beginning to narrow the field.”

The list of potential cities has also reportedly included Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Washington.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported the USOC is expected to evaluate proposals late this month and announce three finalists in early May.

The U.S. hasn’t hosted an Olympics since the 2002 Winter Games and is in the middle of its longest stretch between hosting Olympics since a 28-year gap between 1932 and 1960. The USOC sent letters to more than three dozen cities in 2013 to gauge interest in potentially hosting the Olympics.

Other potential 2024 bids could come from South Africa, Paris, Rome and Berlin.

Bidding for the 2024 Olympics will officially begin in 2015, with the winner chosen in 2017.

Mexico will not bid for 2024 Olympics

Ashton Eaton seeks exit strategy with one decathlon box left to check

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - AUGUST 18:  Ashton Eaton of the United States competes in the Men's Decathlon Javelin Throw on Day 13 of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium on August 18, 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

A defining moment of Ashton Eaton‘s career came at a competition where he could not take part. On May 30, 2015, Eaton withdrew before the start of a decathlon in Götzis, Austria, citing a back injury.

Götzis is the multi events’ Augusta National or Wimbledon. The decathlon world record was broken there three times since 1980, including the first 9,000-point score by Czech Roman Sebrle in 2001.

Eaton had never competed in Götzis, previously also withdrawing due to injury, and missing another chance at the annual meet clearly bothered him last year.

Yet Eaton still showed up. After all, his wife, Canadian Brianne Theisen-Eaton, would compete in the heptathlon at the meet. But on that first day of competition, Eaton grabbed a microphone and addressed the stadium in a way that spoke to his character.

“This competition is not about me,” Eaton said to the crowd, a good number of them having shown up hoping to see Eaton challenge his world record in his first decathlon in 19 months. “Don’t make this Ashton Eaton isn’t competing thing part of this competition because that would be criminal. You would be stealing a great experience from all of the athletes.”

Today, the decathlon is far from the front of Eaton’s mind. He is coming off his second straight Olympic title and set to travel to British Columbia, Peru and Kenya with his wife the next several weeks.

Eaton has said he will retire from track and field before the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. He may not even compete past next season.

There is little left for Eaton to accomplish in the decathlon. He has two Olympic titles, two world titles and two world records. But there is one box left to check.

“I know I would want to do Götzis,” Eaton said in a phone interview while promoting sponsor QALO recently.

It’s not about righting a wrong or making up for withdrawing from the Austrian meet in 2013 and 2015 due to injuries.

“It’s more of a sense of missing out on something very cool,” Eaton said. “It’s the home of the multi events, really.”

Eaton isn’t ready to commit yet, but he could see a scenario where he trains through the Götzis meet in May and then decides if he wants to compete at the 2017 World Championships in London, where he won his first Olympic gold medal. He has a bye into worlds as the defending champion.

“It would be a nice bookend,” Eaton said.

When Eaton recently spoke with 1976 Olympic decathlon champion Caitlyn Jenner on the phone, Eaton had one main question: Was it tough to leave the sport?

Jenner never competed in another decathlon after the Montreal Games. Jenner woke the day after the 1976 decathlon, looked into a hotel mirror, naked except for the gold medal, and said, “What the hell am I going to do now?” according to Sports Illustrated.

Maybe Eaton knew this when he asked Jenner earlier this month. Regardless, he liked the response.

“I just looked back, and I said thanks for the great time and all the memories, and then moved on,” Jenner, who went on to endorsements galore to become America’s “Apple Pie Hero,” told him.

Eaton has fewer options than Jenner did, but certainly different and perhaps more ambitious ones, such as starting a university, according to The Associated Press.

“Track has shaped me a lot, and there will be a time to move on,” Eaton said. “I imagine it won’t be super difficult, because I’ll have fond memories.”

MORE: Allyson Felix eager to double again

Usain Bolt meets David Beckham

Instagram: usainbolt
Instagram: usainbolt
Leave a comment

Usain Bolt, the world’s fastest man, recently met former soccer star David Beckham at a restaurant.

Both global sporting icons posted similar photos on social media with similar captions Monday morning.

Beckham played midfield for Manchester United, and Bolt is a longtime fan of the soccer club.

Bolt, who is planning on retiring after the 2017 World Championships, was recently asked about the possibility of Manchester United while hosting a Facebook Live.

“If I had the chance to play for Manchester United, I would go right now,” he said, laughing. “I would retire and start playing futbol right now. That’s how much I really want to play for Manchester United.”

MORE: Usain Bolt says he received offers to play wide receiver in the NFL (video)

Fastest man in the world .. I think that's all I need to say… ⚡️⚡️ pleasure to meet the best @usainbolt

A photo posted by David Beckham (@davidbeckham) on

No caption needed @davidbeckham

A photo posted by Usain St.Leo Bolt (@usainbolt) on