Oscar Pistorius

Oscar Pistorius, Reeva Steenkamp were talking when he shot, prosecutor says

2 Comments

The lead prosecutor in Oscar Pistorius‘ murder trial said Pistorius and girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp were talking when he fatally shot her, a claim Pistorius denied Friday.

“That’s the only reasonable explanation,” said prosecutor Gerrie Nel, who has said that Pistorius killed Steenkamp after an argument on the early morning of Valentine’s Day 2013.

Pistorius has said he didn’t hear Steenkamp say anything when he was approaching a toilet door with his 9mm pistol, believing an intruder was locked inside.

Pistorius said he screamed for the intruder to get out of his house and for Steenkamp to call the police, thinking Steenkamp was still in bed. Steenkamp was actually behind the door. He then shot four times through the locked door, killing Steenkamp inside.

“She would have been terrified, but I don’t think that would have led her to scream out,” Pistorius said. “I think she would have kept quiet for that reason.”

Nel called it “the most improbable part” of Pistorius’ account, that he didn’t hear Steenkamp talk while three meters away from him when he shot.

“She wasn’t scared of anything,” Nel told Pistorius. “Except you.”

Pistorius, the first double amputee to run in the Olympics in 2012, faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted of premeditated murder. If not found guilty of premeditated murder, he could be convicted of culpable homicide, South Africa’s version of manslaughter for negligent killing.

Neighbors previously testified that they heard female screams coming from Pistorius’ house that night. Nel said Thursday that Steenkamp “ran away screaming” after an argument. Pistorius said he couldn’t hear anything while he shot due to his ears ringing from the decibels of his four gunshots.

“There are many times that I’m haunted by what she probably thought in the last moments that she lived,” Pistorius said Friday, his third day of cross-examination. “I wish she let me know she was there [behind the door], and she did not do that.”

Earlier, Judge Thokozile Masipa told Nel to stop calling Pistorius “a liar” while questioning him. Nel obliged and, through the rest of the day’s proceedings, described Pistorius’ testimony as “not true,” “a lie,” “contradictory versions” and “so far-fetched.”

Pistorius rubbed his eyes during answers and was asked by Nel why he was emotional.

“Because this is the night I lost the person I care about,” Pistorius said. “I don’t understand how people don’t understand that.”

Here’s NBC News’ full coverage of the trial.

The trial is scheduled to resume at 3:30 a.m. ET on Monday with more cross-examining from Nel.

Former 100m world record holder gets doping ban

IOC sanctions 3 boxers for betting on fights at Rio Olympics

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - AUGUST 02:  Gold medalist Michael Conlan of Northern Ireland celebrates after the Men's Bantam (56kg) Final at SSE Hydro during day ten of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games on August 2, 2014 in Glasgow, Scotland.  (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — The IOC has sanctioned three boxers – two from Ireland and one from Britain – for betting on fights at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

The International Olympic Committee issued “severe reprimands” to Ireland’s Michael Conlan and Steve Donnelly and Britain’s Antony Fowler for violating the rules that prohibit betting.

None of the boxers won medals.

The IOC says all three placed bets on fights at the games, but adds that “there was no intent to manipulate any event.”

Athletes and officials are banned from betting on Olympic events and required to report any approach or suspicion of fixing.

The IOC says, in order to be eligible to compete in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the three boxers must undergo an “educational program.”

The Irish and British national Olympic committees also received reprimands for “not having properly informed” their athletes of the betting rules.

MORE: Claressa Shields congratulated by famous boxing actor (video)

Tokyo to propose moving more venues for Olympics

Jacques Rogge Tokyo 2020
AP Images
Leave a comment

TOKYO (AP) — Tokyo’s original plans for a compact Olympics in 2020 continue to fall by the wayside.

A Tokyo government panel is set to propose moving more venues outside of the city – including hundreds of kilometers (miles) away – in order to save money, the latest in a series of changes since the Japanese capital was awarded the games three years ago.

Among the venues being reviewed are those for volleyball, swimming, rowing and canoe sprint, Kyodo news agency reported Wednesday.

Public broadcaster NHK said the panel would propose moving rowing and canoeing to Tome City, about 440 kilometers (270 miles) northeast of Tokyo in the prefecture of Miyagi. Tome was one of several cities severely affected by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami. The city is approximately 70 kilometers (45 miles) north of Sendai, which is a three-hour train ride from Tokyo.

Details of the proposed changes are expected to be made public Thursday at a meeting of a taskforce for metropolitan government reform.

The changes would require approval of the International Olympic Committee and the individual international sports federations.

The government panel was set up earlier this month by Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike, who is determined to reduce the soaring costs.

Tokyo won the right to host the games in 2013 by promising a compact bid with 28 of the 31 competition venues within an eight-kilometer (5-mile) radius of the Olympic Village. Originally, only shooting, modern pentathlon and one football venue were to be outside the eight-kilometer radius.

Already, venues for basketball, taekwondo and cycling have been moved outside of Tokyo to maximize existing facilities. Cycling was moved to Izu, some 145 kilometers (90 miles) southwest of the capital.

Tokyo organizing committee president Yoshiro Mori acknowledged in July that the cost of building seven temporary venues for the Olympics had surged to an estimated $2.6 billion, up from an initial estimate of $690 million.

Mori said the original figures were the result of sloppy calculations which he blamed on the Tokyo metropolitan government and the Japanese Olympic Committee.

The organizing committee hasn’t disclosed an official estimate of the overall costs but has acknowledged it will be considerably higher than the $3.5 billion that was forecast in the bid.

Preparations for the games have been plagued by a series of scandals involving the new national stadium, the official logo and allegations of bribery in the bidding process.

Work on the new national stadium has fallen behind schedule because the government abandoned an original design amid spiraling costs. The total costs for staging the Olympics are shared by the organizing committee, the Tokyo municipal government and the national government.

MORE: Aly Raisman: Tokyo 2020 is the goal