Allyson Felix

Allyson Felix will run more 400m races this year

Leave a comment

Olympic 200m champion Allyson Felix will run a few more 400m races in 2014, an opportune year to try the one-lap event with no Olympics or World Outdoor Championships.

“I feel like it’s a great time to explore that event,” Felix said at a press conference Tuesday. “It’s a great time to learn it a little bit more. I can always improve in it. For me, I think experience is the big thing that I need. The more I run it, the more I learn. So I’m definitely going to take advantage of it during this off year.”

Felix, the most decorated U.S. female track and field athlete with six Olympic medals and 10 World Championships medals, tore her right hamstring in the 200m final at the 2013 World Championships on Aug. 16 (video here).

She was set to run a 200m in Kingston, Jamaica on Saturday but pulled out due to a reported injury last week. Felix is in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, to run a 100m against longtime rival Veronica Campbell-Brown of Jamaica and 2013 World Championships silver medalist Murielle Ahoure of Cote d’Ivoire on Wednesday night.

“I’m feeling really good,” Felix said. “It’s been ups and downs along the way back [from the injury]. Recently, I have had some soreness and tightness in my hamstring. So I’m just dealing that and being cautious and being careful as I make my way back to the track.”

Felix did a 200m-400m double at the 2011 World Championships, winning a 400m silver medal in a personal best time, just . 03 behind gold-medal winner Amantle Montsho of Botswana. She dropped to bronze in the 200m later in the meet, after winning the previous three world 200m titles, and switched to a 100m-200m double at the 2012 Olympics. She finished fifth in the London Olympic 100m final before winning the 200m gold that had eluded her in 2004 and 2008 in her favorite event.

Felix, 28, said before last year’s World Championships that she was leaning toward going into the lead-up to the Rio Olympics with the 400m as her complementary event rather than the 100m.

“It’s still so far away, but we have kind of thought about it,” Felix said last year. “Definitely, I think I would be leaning more toward the 400m. I still have potential in it, unexplored potential. My chances in 2016 would be better in the 400m than the 100m.”

Felix is scheduled to run a 400m at a Diamond League meet in Shanghai on May 18, against a field that includes Montsho.

Watch Roger Bannister’s sub-4-minute mile on 60th anniversary

Marc Leishman will miss Olympics due to wife’s health, Zika

Marc Leishman
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Australian golfer Marc Leishman will miss the Rio Olympics due to his wife’s health.

“Many of you may know that last April my children and I almost lost my wife, Audrey, to toxic shock syndrome,” Leishman said in a statement. “Since then Audrey has been prone to infection and is far removed from 100 percent recovery of her immune system.

“We have consulted with Audrey’s physician and due to her ongoing recovery from toxic shock and potential risks associated with the transmission of the Zika virus, it was a difficult yet easy decision not to participate.

“I missed playing in the 2015 Masters tournament to be at her side when she was originally stricken and I cannot risk placing her health in jeopardy.

“The Masters and the Olympics are the two biggest tournaments to which a golfer can be invited; however, my family will always come before golf.”

Leishman, 32 with one PGA Tour win, joined the projected Olympic field when countryman Adam Scott said last month that he would skip Rio.

World No. 1 Jason Day is assured one of two Olympic spots for Australian men when the 60-man field is determined based on July 11 world rankings.

With No. 7 Scott and No. 35 Leishman out, the next-best Aussie is No. 63 Marcus Fraser.

Three more major champions — Vijay Singh, Louis Oosthuizen and Charl Schwartzel — also said in April they would not compete in Rio.

Golf returns to the Olympics for the first time since 1904.

MORE: Australia Olympic legend blasts Adam Scott

Rory McIlroy worried Olympic golf may be done after 2020

Rory McIlroy
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Rory McIlroy believes golf may not remain in the Olympics after 2020 following a string of major champions announcing they will skip the sport’s return at the Rio Games.

“Because of how [Olympic golf is] being approached in golf circles … I’m not sure if we’re going to have another opportunity to win a gold medal after [Tokyo 2020],” McIlroy said ahead of the Wells Fargo Championship in Charlotte, N.C., on Wednesday.

In 2009, the International Olympic Committee voted to re-add golf and rugby to the Olympic program for the 2016 Olympics, with a review in 2017 if they would remain for the 2020 Olympics.

In 2013, Tokyo was elected host city for the 2020 Olympics with a plan that includes golf.

Beyond 2020, golf does not yet have a place in the Olympics. Its chances for the 2024 Olympics could come into focus when that host city is chosen in September 2017.

McIlroy, ranked No. 3 in the world, has repeated he will play for Ireland in the first Olympic golf tournament since 1904 in Rio in August.

Fellow major champions Adam ScottLouis OosthuizenCharl Schwartzel and Vijay Singh said last month they will not play in the Rio Olympics.

MORE: Golf Channel’s Olympic broadcast schedule