Antonio Castro

Fidel Castro’s son hopes baseball has good chance to return to Olympics

Leave a comment

Antonio Castro, son of former Cuban leader Fidel Castro, is spurring baseball’s latest attempt to rejoin the Olympics.

“Not only for Tokyo 2020 but for beyond I think we may have a good chance hopefully,” Castro said at the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) Congress in Hammamet, Tunisia, according to insidethegamesCastro is the vice president of the International Baseball Federation.

Baseball and softball, which were last in the Olympics in 2008, were beaten by wrestling in a bid to re-enter the Olympic program for 2020 and 2024 at an International Olympic Committee vote in September.

But new IOC president Thomas Bach said leading up to the Sochi Olympics and again at the Winter Games that there could be flexibility over a rule that mandates sports must be on the Olympic program seven years before they are contested at a Summer or Winter Games.

The WBSC is set to request a meeting with Bach, according to the report, hoping to be reconsidered for a spot in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics before the IOC Executive Board meets in Monaco in December, when the 2020 Olympic agenda will be submitted for final approval. Baseball and softball are popular in Japan, boosting their cases more so than if the 2020 Olympics had been awarded to Madrid or Istanbul in last year’s vote.

“We want to go inside the Olympics, but not only for 2020 but for our whole life,” Castro said, according to the report.

IOC calls report Rio could lose Olympics after World Cup ‘fantasy’

Shaun White’s crash lands him in hospital

Shaun White
Shaun White's Instagram
Leave a comment

Double Olympic snowboard champion Shaun White suffered a serious crash in training in New Zealand for the second time in as many months.

White was in the hospital after a “straight up old fashioned face plant” while preparing for the Olympic season, he said in an Instagram post Saturday.

“I’ve always lived my life by pushing the limits,” was posted on White’s Instagram. “Winning is great, but it’s the tough times that truly define you. I took a slam while training the other day, but don’t worry I’ll be back soon and better than ever!!”

White, 31, also crashed in early September, leading him to withdraw from his season-opening halfpipe contest in New Zealand. Doctors told him then to take a few weeks off.

White can afford to miss most of the fall. The snowboarding season does not ramp up until December. The first of a series of Olympic selection events is the second week of December in Breckenridge, Colo.

White is arguably the favorite for gold in PyeongChang in February despite finishing a disappointing fourth in Sochi, where he was bidding to three-peat as Olympic halfpipe champion.

White gradually improved last season after taking time off, changing coaches. dropping slopestyle (and his band work) and undergoing fall left ankle surgery.

He was 11th at January’s Winter X Games — his worst finish there since 2000 — but then finished first, second and first in his last three events.

He peaked at the finale, the U.S. Open in Vail, Colo. White landed a cab double cork 1440 and a double McTwist 1260 in one run for the first time, according to The Associated Press.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Meet the new face of U.S. slopestyle

Gymnastics doctor’s lawyers want trial moved, cite media coverage

AP
Leave a comment

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Attorneys for a former Michigan State and USA Gymnastics doctor accused of molesting dozens of athletes are pushing to have his trial moved out of the Lansing area.

The Lansing State Journal reports that attorneys representing Larry Nassar filed a change-of-venue request because of what they called “inflammatory and sustained media coverage” that they say has made it difficult for Nassar to get a fair trial in the area.

The media attention grew more intense this week when 21-year-old 2012 Olympic gold medal gymnast McKayla Maroney wrote on Twitter that Nassar started assaulting her when she was 13.

Nassar has pleaded not guilty to nearly two dozen charges in Michigan. He has pleaded guilty to three child pornography charges in an unrelated case but has not been sentenced.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Aly Raisman speaks out about USA Gymnastics scndal