Phil Mickelson

Phil Mickelson has designs on 2020 Olympics at age 50

1 Comment

If the 2016 U.S. Olympic golf team was named today, Phil Mickelson would not be one of the automatic qualifiers.

The field provisions for the first Olympic golf tournament since 1904 include allowing everybody in the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) top 15 with a maximum of four per country.

That’s where the U.S. qualifiers come in. Mickelson is ranked No. 11 in the world, but he’s fifth among Americans behind Tiger Woods (3), Matt Kuchar (4), Bubba Watson (5) and Jordan Spieth (10). Another four Americans are Nos. 12-15, right behind Mickelson.

Mickelson, 43, is the second-oldest among those nine players. He will be 46 when the 2016 Olympic golf field is determined. Age is not deterring the five-time major champion, who seems to have etched in stone his travel plans to Rio de Janeiro in two years.

Mickelson told ESPN’s Rick Reilly his intentions in a story published last week:

Let me get this straight. From age 43 to age 48, you’re going to play the best golf of your life?

“I think so. I’m going to win a bunch of tournaments. I’m going to win at least one U.S. Open, maybe two. And I’m going to make the 2016 Olympic team. And really, I’d love to make the 2020 Olympic team. I’d be 50. How cool would that be?”

A 50-year-old in the Olympics wouldn’t be unheard of. It happens in equestrian and sailing. But in golf?

Well, that would be incredibly difficult for an American man. But not out of the question globally.

Spaniard Miguel Angel Jimenez, who will turn 52 in 2016, would make the Olympic golf field if named today due to another provision, which allows two golfers per country overall once you get past the top 15.

The cigar-loving Jimenez would be the second of two golfers from Spain, behind world No. 8 Sergio Garcia. Jimenez is ranked No. 27, but if he falls one spot among his countrymen, he’d be out. The next highest ranked Spaniard is currently No. 53.

Video: Track runners collide at World Relays

MLB Players Association head says ‘continuing dialogue’ about 2020 Olympics

Jake Arrieta
Getty Images
Leave a comment

SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) — The head of the Major League Baseball Players Association says it will be difficult for big leaguers to participate at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Baseball returns to Olympics after a 12-year absence for the Tokyo Games, which are scheduled for July 24-Aug. 9 — in the middle of baseball’s season.

“There are challenges with the schedule, and there are challenges with major leaguers being involved,” Tony Clark said Thursday at the Baltimore Orioles’ spring training camp.

In 2008, players on major league 25-man rosters and disabled lists on June 26 were ineligible to play. The U.S. roster included 17 players from Triple-A, seven from Double-A and college pitcher Stephen Strasburg, now with the Washington Nationals.

“It doesn’t mean that we are not continuing to have dialogue. We have going back. We will going forward. Where we land, I don’t know,” Clark said. “One of the things we were able to discuss during this round of bargaining were some additional flexibility in the schedule moving forward. Maybe there are some opportunities for a broader discussion than there have been a year ago. We’ll have to wait and see. We haven’t had that kind of substantive sit down yet.”

Many players are preparing for the fourth edition of World Baseball Classic, an international tournament launched in 2006 that is co-owned by Major League Baseball and the union. Clark hopes to see a fifth edition in 2021.

“I see no reason at this point why it wouldn’t,” he said. “I’m hopeful it continues, understanding that the world we live in four years from now may be different from the one we’re in now.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Some 2020 Olympic baseball games set 150 miles from Tokyo

Lance Armstrong’s $100 million trial set for November

AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND - DECEMBER 20:  Lance Armstrong (C) heads out with cyclists on December 20, 2016 in Auckland, New Zealand. The disgraced Tour de France rider is in New Zealand to film a commercial, and put out a call on social media for local riders to join him on a ride along the Auckland Waterfront.  (Photo by Fiona Goodall/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Lance Armstrong‘s $100 million legal fight with the federal government has been set for a November trial.

U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper on Thursday set a Nov. 6 trial start in Washington. Armstrong’s legal team had asked to postpone trial until 2018 because of a potential scheduling conflict.

The government wants Armstrong to pay back the $32 million the U.S. Postal Service paid his team for sponsorship, plus triple damages.

Armstrong’s former teammate Floyd Landis initially filed the whistle-blower case in 2010, accusing him of violating the sponsorship contract by taking performance-enhancing drugs. The government joined the case in 2013 after Armstrong admitted cheating and was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and 2000 Olympic bronze medal.

Landis, who was stripped of the 2006 Tour de France title for cheating, could collect up to 25 percent of damages awarded.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Armstrong intrigued by ultra marathon, obstacle-course races