Patrick Chan

Patrick Chan remains uncertain on figure skating future

1 Comment

Olympic silver medalist Patrick Chan‘s break from competition will continue into the Grand Prix figure skating season. He will wait until the fall to decide whether he will compete at the Canadian National Championships in January and World Championships in March, according to the Canadian Press.

“I’m going to take a bit of a break from the Grand Prix season,” Chan said, according to the news agency. “I’ve done it so many years, I think I deserve a bit of a break from it. Just take that opportunity to catch up with friends that I haven’t had a chance to and play some hockey or go do things that I’ve always wanted to do and just haven’t had the chance.”

Chan, 23, took silver at the Sochi Olympics behind Japan’s Yuzuru Hanyu after winning three straight World Championships from 2011-13. He skipped this year’s World Championships, which were held after the Olympics in March.

Chan said he would need two months of training to get back to top form, if and when he decides to return.

“It’s not something I can just show up at in January and hope that I skate well and win another [Canadian] title,” he told the Canadian Press. “It’s something that I have to really prepare and I’d want to prepare properly so I’d have to take time out of the fall to start training for that.”

Chan said he struggled after the Olympics while touring with skaters such as Hanyu in Japan, being reminded of what he called a disappointing silver medal. It stuck with him even when he returned to Canada.

“Sometimes I’d be laying in bed and not being able to sleep and I’d just start thinking about how things could have been different,” he said. “Now I just sleep no problem. I mean it’s just no issue because there’s no point in dwelling in the past to be honest.”

ISU wants to add mass start speed skating to Olympics

North Korean member of IOC expects team at PyeongChang Olympics

VANCOUVER, BC - FEBRUARY 12:  Song Chol Ri of North Korea carries the national flag during the Opening Ceremony of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics at BC Place on February 12, 2010 in Vancouver, Canada.  (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The North Korean member of the International Olympic Committee believes a North Korean delegation will be at the PyeongChang Olympics, according to Kyodo News.

“There is no reason why we won’t come and no reason why we can’t,” IOC member Chang Ung said last week at the Asian Winter Games in Japan, according to the news agency. “We will proceed according to the Olympic Charter.”

An IOC spokesman previously said that the first step toward possible North Korean participation in the PyeongChang Olympics would be the North Korean Olympic Committee’s response to its invitation to the Winter Games sent out two weeks ago.

The IOC sends invitations to National Olympic Committees around the world coinciding with one year out to an Olympics.

However, it’s not a certainty that North Korea will qualify any athletes for the Winter Games. Despite winning at least four medals at every Summer Games since boycotting Seoul 1988, it didn’t have any athletes at the Sochi Olympics and just two at Vancouver 2010.

North Korea has zero top performing international winter sports athletes and few who even appear at major competitions.

North Korean short track speed skater Choe Un Song ranks No. 123 in the world after appearing in one World Cup this season in Beijing. A pairs figure skating team is ranked No. 54. A different North Korean pairs team missed a Sochi berth by 1.5 points at the last qualifying competition.

Nations without qualified athletes are still able to enter one man and one woman in the Summer Olympics in swimming and track and field. But no such exception applies in the Winter Games.

The IOC has given no indication that an exception could be made to invite a non-qualified North Korean athlete to PyeongChang.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: PyeongChang 2018 daily schedule highlights

Chad le Clos still has nightmares of losing to Michael Phelps in Rio

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - AUGUST 09:  Michael Phelps (L) of the United States leads Chad le Clos of South Africa in the Men's 200m Butterfly Final on Day 4 of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games at the Olympic Aquatics Stadium on August 9, 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  (Photo by Adam Pretty/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Chad le Clos reportedly said he still has nightmares about losing to Michael Phelps in their much-anticipated rematch in the Rio Olympic 200m butterfly.

“I wake up in the middle of the night in a sweat over that race,” le Clos said, according to Independent Online in South Africa.

In Rio, le Clos finished fourth in the 200m butterfly final (video here), seven tenths of a second behind Phelps after famously turning his head to look at Phelps in the final 50 meters of the race.

In 2012, le Clos beat Phelps for Olympic gold by .05.

When Phelps unretired in 2014, he said he would never race the 200m butterfly again. But he picked it up a year later, in part because times around the world were not that fast and in part because of his desire to exact revenge on le Clos in Rio.

Now, it’s le Clos who wants a rematch.

“I want it that bad,” le Clos said, according to the report. “I just want Phelps to come back.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: PyeongChang 2018 daily schedule highlights