Markus Rehm

German amputee long jumper won’t fight European Championships exclusion

2 Comments

German national long jump champion Markus Rehm will not fight his federation’s decision to leave him off its roster for August’s European Championships because of a possible competitive advantage due to having a prosthetic right leg.

“I am not going to take any judicial steps,” Rehm said, according to The Associated Press, adding that he wanted to respect other athletes chosen for the team. “But I will use all possibilities to prove that I got no advantage. People should not think that I won only because of the prosthesis. That would be an extremely false idea.”

Rehm, whose leg was amputated below the knee after a boating accident at age 14, won a 2012 Paralympic long jump gold medal with a 7.35m jump, then a world record in his division.

Rehm jumped 8.24m to win the German title on Saturday, a personal best. That distance placed fifth at the 2013 World Championships and would have won a silver medal at the 2012 Olympics and a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games on Wednesday, over Olympic champion Greg Rutherford.

The European Championships, the biggest meet of the year for German track athletes, are Aug. 12-17 in Zurich, Switzerland.

Tests were performed on Rehm’s prosthetic leg between his victory Saturday and the team announcement Wednesday to determine if he gained a competitive advantage from either running on it or jumping off of it.

The president of Germany’s track and field governing body said there was “significant doubt” that jumps on a prosthetic leg and a natural leg were comparable, according to The Associated Press. He also said Rehm might receive an extra “catapult effect.”

The German track and field federation said Thursday it would conduct more tests and consult with the German Olympic Committee, according to the AP.

“More analysis is needed until a comprehensive picture is achieved,” Rehm said.

Meb Keflezighi, Caroline Wozniacki to run New York City Marathon

Salt Lake City forms committee to weigh Olympic bid

Getty Images
1 Comment

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Salt Lake City has formed an exploratory committee to decide if the city will bid to host the Winter Olympics in either 2026 or 2030 — taking a key step toward trying to become a rare two-time host city.

The group made up of elected officials, business leaders and one key member of the organizing committee for the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City said Monday that it plans to make a recommendation to state leaders by Feb. 1.

The announcement comes after the U.S. Olympic Committee board said Friday that it was moving forward with discussions about bringing the Winter Games to America for either 2026 or 2030.

Because Los Angeles was recently awarded the 2028 Summer Games, a bid for 2030 would make more sense, chairman Larry Probst said Friday.

The USOC has until next March to pick a city; those expressing interest include Salt Lake City, Denver and Reno, Nevada.

Innsbruck, Austria, said Sunday it wouldn’t bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics, taking one more city out of the running. The hosting rights are set to be awarded in July 2019.

The same country hasn’t hosted back-to-back Olympics since before World War II, though when the International Olympic Committee scrapped its traditional rules and awarded 2024 (Paris) and 2028 (LA) at the same time, it indicated it was certainly open to new ideas.

Since 2012, Salt Lake City has been letting Olympic officials know the city was ready and willing to host again with a plan based on renovating and upgrading venues that have been in use since the Games ended.

The city had previously estimated it could put on a Winter Olympics for about $2 billion, but the committee will come up with a new cost estimate, said Jeff Robbins, the president and CEO of the Utah Sports Commission.

Robbins is one of three co-chairs on the committee along with Utah Senate President Wayne Niederhauser and Fraser Bullock, a key player in Salt Lake City’s 2002 Olympics.

Robbins said he thinks the city has a great shot at winning a bid based on the relatively low cost and because it has demonstrated it knows how to maintain venues and keep them in use, putting the city in line with Agenda 2020, the blueprint that IOC President Thomas Bach created for future Olympics calling for less spending on new venues and infrastructure.

There’s an eight-lane interstate running from the Salt Lake airport, which was upgraded for the Olympics, to Park City, which is the home of U.S. Ski and Snowboard. Park City is the host for key U.S. training centers for freestyle skiing, speedskating and cross country skiing.

Overall, the area has hosted about 75 World Cup and world-championship events in winter sports since the Olympic cauldron was extinguished more than 15 years ago.

He said an expanded light rail train line grid around Salt Lake City and a $3 billion airport renovation already underway are two examples of how Salt Lake City is even better prepared now to host than in 2002.

But he and other organizers will also have to answer questions about a bidding scandal that marred the 2002 Games and resulted in several International Olympic Committee members losing their positions for taking bribes.

“You can’t control the past,” Robbins said. “The results of what happened I think would certainly speak volumes. While there was some challenges, we hosted arguably one of the best Olympics ever hosted.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Austrians say no to 2026 Olympic bid

Simone Biles announces new coach

Getty Images
Leave a comment

When Simone Biles begins her comeback in earnest next month, she’ll be training under a new coach — Laurent Landi — who coached one of her Olympic teammates, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Landi, a 39-year-old former French gymnast, guided Rio uneven bars silver medalist Madison Kocian at the Dallas-area gym WOGA, along with wife Cecile.

“[Landi] was in Dallas, which is not far away, and had recently left WOGA, and I had worked with alongside him and know how he is with athletes,” Biles said, according to the newspaper. “He does a good job not letting pressure get to the athletes. You can see some coaches get stressed but he doesn’t.”

Biles’ previous coach since she was 7, Aimee Boorman, left their Houston-area gym for a gymnastics job in Florida after the Rio Games.

Biles said last week she plans to return to full-time training Nov. 1 and return to competition next summer.

Kocian is now at UCLA and uncertain to return to elite gymnastics.

Two other Final Five members — Aly Raisman and Laurie Hernandez — have said they plan to return to training for a Tokyo 2020 run. But neither has announced a return to the gym like Biles.

The last member — 2012 Olympic all-around champion Gabby Douglas — has not said whether she will come back.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Gracie Gold in treatment for eating disorder, depression