Meb Keflezighi

Meb Keflezighi, Caroline Wozniacki to run New York City Marathon

Leave a comment

Inspiring Boston Marathon champion Meb Keflezighi will run the New York City Marathon on Nov. 2, likely with a field of over 40,000 competitors, including former world No. 1 tennis player Caroline Wozniacki.

Keflezighi, 39, became the first U.S. man since 1983 to win the Boston Marathon on April 21. It was a tearful triumph one year after twin bombings rocked the world’s oldest annually contested 26.2-mile race.

Keflezighi also won 2004 Olympic marathon silver, the 2009 New York City Marathon and was the oldest man to win the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials in 2012. He finished a disappointing 23rd at last year’s New York City Marathon, which helped fuel doubts over his ability to run well in Boston.

“This is a very special race and city for me,” Keflezighi, who has run eight New York City Marathons, said in a press release.

Keflezighi said in June that he has three to six marathons left in his legs and hopes to run next year’s Boston Marathon and the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials and 2016 Olympics.

Wozniacki, 24 and a two-time Olympic tennis player, originally had plans to marry golfer Rory McIlroy in November. She’ll run 26.2 miles instead.

She joins other tennis players who have run the five-borough marathon, including three retired professionals in 2010.

Former world No. 1 Amelie Mauresmo completed the race in 3 hours, 40 minutes, 20 seconds four years ago. Former French Open champion Yannick Noah did it in 4:01:38 the same year, followed by Justin Gimelstob in 4:09:58.

“When I cross the finish line in Central Park, it will be one of the most rewarding days of my life, not only because of the personal accomplishment, but also because it will help thousands of kids to get healthy and fit through sports,” Wozniacki said in a press release.

Keflezighi and Wozniacki will run to raise funds for the Team for Kids charity.

Photos: UCLA track and field stadium flooded (photos)

Michael Phelps: I had to keep marriage ‘hush-hush’

FILE - In this Aug. 9, 2016, file photo, United States' swimmer Michael Phelps celebrates winning his gold medal in the men's 200-meter butterfly with his fiance Nicole Johnson and baby Boomer during the swimming competitions at the 2016 Summer Olympics, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Arizona Republic reported Oct. 26, 2016, that Phelps and Johnson secretly married on June 13, 2016. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum, File)
Leave a comment

Michael Phelps said Thursday that he had to keep his June marriage to Nicole Johnson “hush-hush.”

Phelps and Johnson, who got engaged in February 2015, were married June 13, though Phelps had been saying all summer and into the fall that they were not yet married.

“You guys probably already saw the article that was posted [about the marriage],” Phelps said, widening his eyes and sticking the tip of his tongue out while golfing shirtless with former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. “I’ve been married for a while, been married for while, couple months. I had to keep it secret from y’all. I had to keep it hush-hush from you guys. Nicole and I are married. We are officially married.”

Phelps and Johnson welcomed baby boy Boomer on May 5.

“Why is it a secret? Just because. … Baby No. 2 may be coming soon, who knows though,” Phelps said.

VIDEO: Phelps in ‘Call of Duty’ trailer

Karolyis named in lawsuit against ex-USA Gymnastics doctor

In a July 15, 2008 photo, Dr. Larry Nassar works on the computer after seeing a patient in Michigan. Multiple gymnasts, including a member of the 2000 U.S. women's Olympic team, said they were sexually abused by Nassar, a former longtime doctor for USA Gymnastics, court documents and interviews show. (Becky Shink/Lansing State Journal via AP)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A former gymnast on the U.S. women’s national team is the latest athlete to accuse a longtime team doctor of sexual abuse.

But she’s the first to allege renowned husband-and-wife coaches Bela and Martha Karolyi knew about the abuse and did nothing to stop it.

The lawsuit filed Thursday in Los Angeles contends Dr. Larry Nassar repeatedly sexually abused the now-24-year-old gymnast when she was on the team from 2006 to 2011.

It says the Karolyis, and the current and former presidents of USA Gymnastics knew of molestations committed by Nassar before and during his employment, “yet chose to allow him to remain unsupervised,” allowing further abuse.

Nassar’s lawyer and the Karolyis didn’t respond to messages Thursday. Nassar’s lawyer has previously denied abuse allegations by two other gymnasts.

USA Gymnastics is also named in the suit. The Indiana-based governing body denies wrongdoing.

MORE: Michigan State fires Nassar after sexual abuse accusations