Youth Olympics

Some athletes from Ebola-hit nations barred from competing at Youth Olympics

Leave a comment

Three athletes from Ebola-hit African nations will not be allowed to compete at the Youth Olympics in Nanjing, China, the International Olympic Committee and Nanjing Games organizers said Friday.

Two athletes in combat sports and one athlete in aquatics have been barred due to “a policy which balances the health needs of all, with respect for the rights of the young athletes from the region,” according to a joint press release from the IOC and the Nanjing Organizing Committee.

The combat sports athletes will be held out due to “health authority guidelines.” The aquatics athlete won’t participate “based on the inability to completely exclude the risk of potential infection.”

The remaining athletes who are competing from the region affected by Ebola will be subject to regular temperature and physical assessment.

Organizers said all delegations are welcome at the Youth Olympics.

“We regret that due to this issue some young athletes may have suffered twice, both from the anguish caused by the outbreak in their home countries and by not being able to compete in the Youth Olympic Games,” the press release said.

The Ebola virus outbreak has killed more than 1,000 people in Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nigeria, according to The Associated Press.

Liberia and Sierra Leone reportedly decided not to travel to Nanjing for the Youth Olympics, a competition for athletes between ages 14 and 18. The Opening Ceremony is Saturday.

The IOC and Youth Olympic organizers have been working with Chinese health authorities and the World Health Organization.

“We have been reassured by the health authorities that there have been no suspected cases and that the risk of infection is extremely unlikely,” the press release said.

The three athletes not allowed to compete will be invited to take part in a later competition in Nanjing.

U.S. names Youth Olympics Opening Ceremony flag bearer

President Obama appoints Gabby Douglas, more Olympic medalists to posts

Leave a comment

London Olympic all-around champion Gabby Douglas was among four Olympic medalists appointed to the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition, in one of Barack Obama‘s final acts as president.

Also appointed were Olympic soccer champion Carli Lloyd, hockey silver medalist Caitlin Cahow and fencing bronze medalist Ibtihaj Muhammad.

Olympic medalists Dominique DawesAllyson FelixGrant HillMichelle KwanAlonzo Mourning and Chris Paul already have roles on the council.

One month after taking gold in London, Douglas led the Pledge of Allegiance at the Democratic National Convention, where Obama was formally nominated to run for re-election.

Douglas also appeared on “The Tonight Show” with First Lady Michelle Obama in 2012 and joined the First Lady for a Let’s Move event in Chicago in 2013.

MORE: Gabby Douglas’ mom: Leslie Jones ‘came to the rescue’ in Rio

Ryan Lochte ‘wipes away the past’ in Power Bar video

Leave a comment

For the second time in as many months, Ryan Lochte stars in a jocular ad making a veiled reference to his Rio Olympic gas-station incident.

The swimmer wipes away “the past” on a foggy bathroom mirror and throws a blond wig out of a sunroof in a one-minute Power Bar video published Tuesday.

The company’s tag line in the video is “Clean Start.”

“For example, I am going to recommit myself to water sports,” Lochte says in the spot.

The ad follows a December video for Pine Bros. Softish Throat Drops, where Lochte starred in a spot with a closing banner that read, “Pine Bros.: In this Season of Forgiveness.”

Lochte had previously lost sponsorship deals, including with Speedo, after his Rio Olympic gas-station incident for which he was suspended through June by USA Swimming, plus for the world championships in July.

PHOTOS: Lochte set to be a father