Jeremy Abbott
Getty Images

Jeremy Abbott to skip 2016-17 season, train for Olympic year

Leave a comment

Jeremy Abbott will take a second straight season off from top-level competition, but he would still love to skate in a third Olympics in 2018.

But he’s not yet committing to a run for Pyeongchang, either.

“I committed myself to training for next season,” Abbott, a four-time national champion whose last major event was the January 2015 U.S. Championships, said in a recent phone interview. “I haven’t committed to anything past that.”

When Abbott’s name was not on the fall Grand Prix Series assignments list, it was logical to surmise he would not be competing on the top international level at all this season.

He will still take part in the Japan Open, a free skate-only event Oct. 1 that includes the world’s top skaters and those retired from Olympic-level competition. He will also do shows, such as his own Aspen event in December. Same as last year.

Abbott is still training at the Detroit Skating Club with longtime coaches Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen. At 31 years old, time is not on his side.

“I know the state of the sport, it keeps growing and these boys keep improving,” said Abbott, a 2014 Olympic team event bronze medalist whose best individual finish in seven Olympics/worlds trips was fifth. “I have a lot to offer figure skating. On the other side of it, if this is going to be something realistic, I need to be doing multiple [quadruple jumps]. I’m working on my strength and my consistency more than anything.”

Abbott also said in spring 2015 reports that he would not return to competition if he couldn’t land two different quadruple jumps.

If Abbott does decide next year to return to top-level competition for an Olympic run, he would be trying to become the oldest U.S. Olympic singles skater since 1932, according to sports-reference.com.

“When that season rolls around, at 32 [years old], being the best skater and the best technician and in the best shape I’ve been in my entire career, that’s my goal,” Abbott said. “Thirty-two is old in figure skating, but I don’t think it’s old in a lot of sports. I’m ‘old,’ but I’m not over the hill.”

MORE: Jason Brown grows after first major injury of his career

USA Hockey to start reaching out to potential replacement players

Getty Images
Leave a comment

USA Hockey will begin reaching out to “alternate players” to determine their interest in playing for the U.S. at the women’s world championship next week amid a potential boycott by its national team.

The contact is taking place in the event a resolution cannot be reached between USA Hockey and the women’s national team in a wage dispute.

“It’s important for everyone to understand clearly that our objective is to have the players we named as the U.S. women’s national team be the ones that compete in the world championship,” said Dave Ogrean, executive director of USA Hockey, in a statement. “Productive conversations have taken place this week and are ongoing in our collective efforts to reach a resolution.”

The alternate players are in the professional NWHL and college, according to USA Today, a report that USA Hockey would not confirm.

U.S. captain Meghan Duggan has said every player in the U.S. national team player pool, plus under-18 national team players, committed to not playing at worlds unless the wage dispute is resolved.

The world championship tournament starts March 31 in Plymouth, Mich.

As of Thursday evening, no resolution has come between USA Hockey and its women’s national team. They met formally on Monday for more than 10 hours, with both sides calling it productive.

Neither side has said when its next scheduled meeting will take place.

On Tuesday, USA Hockey said it postponed a pre-worlds camp that was to run through next Tuesday in Traverse City, Mich., and canceled a scheduled Friday exhibition against Finland.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: NHL asked for decision on Olympics by end of April

NHL asked for decision on Olympics by end of April

Getty Images
Leave a comment

International Ice Hockey Federation President Rene Fasel tells The Associated Press he needs to know by the end of April whether NHL players will be cleared to play in the South Korea Olympics next year.

NHL team owners have made it clear they don’t want to stop their season again for the Winter Games and put their stars at risk of injury. The reluctance has come up before and yet the NHL has participated in the Olympics since 1998. This time, however, there seems to be an impasse.

The head of the NHL Players Association, Donald Fehr, says the players want to participate and hopes the league will take advantage of the chance to market the game in Asia.

However, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly says without “material change to the current status quo, NHL players will not be participating in the 2018 Winter Olympics.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: 2018 Olympic hockey groups set