Getty Images

Ronda Rousey cuts back on trash talk ahead of comeback fight

Leave a comment

Ronda Rousey isn’t taking part in a media whirlwind before her Dec. 30 comeback fight, not yet at least, and she’s engaging in even less trash talk.

“Well it’s just that don’t really have to,” Rousey, a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist who lost her last UFC fight on Nov. 15, 2015, told Conan O’Brien in an interview published overnight. “I mean, I’ve done a lot of learning in this last year, and I’ve learned that the views I get and the money I make really doesn’t mean anything for me or my happiness. Now that I know that the women’s [UFC] division is secure, I don’t have to do that anymore. So I choose not to. It’s not something that I really get a kick off of like, ‘Ooh, I want to spend 12 hours at ESPN and talk [expletive] all day.’ That’s not really what I would want to do. I want to go play World of Warcraft. So this time around I was like I’m not going to do that. I’m going to play World of Warcraft and then go train and then come back and chill out.”

To which O’Brien told Rousey that her UFC 207 opponent, Amanda Nunes, predicted she would finish off Rousey in the first round.

“Well she kind of has to say that because everyone knows she gasses out in the second, so she has to tell herself that it’s going to happen in the first round,” Rousey said, deadpan. “What else is she going to tell herself? She’s got to sleep at night somehow.”

Rousey also confirmed to O’Brien that her retirement is coming up.

“Maybe, I don’t think after this fight, but definitely soon,” Rousey said.

VIDEO: Rousey’s monologue from Saturday Night Live

USA Hockey to start reaching out to potential replacement players

Getty Images
Leave a comment

USA Hockey will begin reaching out to “alternate players” to determine their interest in playing for the U.S. at the women’s world championship next week amid a potential boycott by its national team.

The contact is taking place in the event a resolution cannot be reached between USA Hockey and the women’s national team in a wage dispute.

“It’s important for everyone to understand clearly that our objective is to have the players we named as the U.S. women’s national team be the ones that compete in the world championship,” said Dave Ogrean, executive director of USA Hockey, in a statement. “Productive conversations have taken place this week and are ongoing in our collective efforts to reach a resolution.”

The alternate players are in the professional NWHL and college, according to USA Today, a report that USA Hockey would not confirm.

U.S. captain Meghan Duggan has said every player in the U.S. national team player pool, plus under-18 national team players, committed to not playing at worlds unless the wage dispute is resolved.

“We are confident that they [potential replacement players] would choose not to play,” the U.S. players said in a statement.

The world championship tournament starts March 31 in Plymouth, Mich.

As of Thursday evening, no resolution has come between USA Hockey and its women’s national team. They met formally on Monday for more than 10 hours, with both sides calling it productive.

“We ask that they approve the original agreement that, the players believed, was acceptable to both parties after Monday’s meeting,” the players said in a statement. “Unless there is an agreement, the players remain resolved to bypass the defense of the world championship.”

Neither side has said when the next meeting will take place.

On Tuesday, USA Hockey said it postponed a pre-worlds camp that was to run through next Tuesday in Traverse City, Mich., and canceled a scheduled Friday exhibition against Finland.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: NHL asked for decision on Olympics by end of April

NHL asked for decision on Olympics by end of April

Getty Images
Leave a comment

International Ice Hockey Federation President Rene Fasel tells The Associated Press he needs to know by the end of April whether NHL players will be cleared to play in the South Korea Olympics next year.

NHL team owners have made it clear they don’t want to stop their season again for the Winter Games and put their stars at risk of injury. The reluctance has come up before and yet the NHL has participated in the Olympics since 1998. This time, however, there seems to be an impasse.

The head of the NHL Players Association, Donald Fehr, says the players want to participate and hopes the league will take advantage of the chance to market the game in Asia.

However, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly says without “material change to the current status quo, NHL players will not be participating in the 2018 Winter Olympics.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: 2018 Olympic hockey groups set