Ryan Hall, Meb Keflezighi, Jared Ward
Getty Images

Boston Marathon field includes 5 of 6 U.S. marathoners from Rio

Leave a comment

Galen Rupp will run his third career marathon in Boston on April 17, and he’ll be joined by four other members of the U.S. Olympic marathon team from Rio.

All three 2016 U.S. Olympic men’s marathoners — Rupp, Meb Keflezighi and Jared Ward — are in the Boston Marathon field. As are two of the three female Olympians — Shalane Flanagan and Desi Linden.

The only member of the 2016 U.S. Olympic marathon team not in the Boston field is Olympic Trials winner Amy Cragg.

Rupp, 30, will debut in the world’s oldest annual 26.2-mile race after winning the Olympic Trials in Los Angeles on Feb. 13 and taking bronze in the Olympic marathon on Aug. 21. Rupp posted the two fastest marathon times by an American in 2016 after never racing longer than a half marathon before this year.

Keflezighi, the 2014 Boston winner, was previously announced for next year’s field. It will mark the 41-year-old’s fifth and final Boston Marathon as an elite racer.

Ward, who finished sixth in Rio, will make his Boston Marathon debut.

Flanagan, a four-time Olympian who finished sixth in the Rio women’s marathon, will race Boston for the fourth time in five years. Her best Boston finish was fourth in 2013, the year the race was rocked by twin bombings.

Linden, seventh in Rio, was the last U.S. woman to make the Boston podium, finishing second in 2011, two seconds behind Kenyan winner Caroline Kilel.

Flanagan and Linden are the second- and fifth-fastest U.S. women’s marathoners of all time.

The Americans will face an international field that includes 2016 Boston winners Atsede Baysa and Lemi Berhanu Hayle of Ethiopia as well as past winners Wesley Korir of Kenya, Buzunesh Deba of Ethiopia and Caroline Rotich of Kenya.

The full elite international field is expected to be announced in January.

VIDEO: Trailer for ‘Patriots Day’ movie about Boston Marathon bombings

*Correction: An earlier version of this post incorrectly stated Keflezighi won the 2013 Boston Marathon. He won in 2014.

USA Hockey to start reaching out to potential replacement players

Getty Images
Leave a comment

USA Hockey will begin reaching out to “alternate players” to determine their interest in playing for the U.S. at the women’s world championship next week amid a potential boycott by its national team.

The contact is taking place in the event a resolution cannot be reached between USA Hockey and the women’s national team in a wage dispute.

“It’s important for everyone to understand clearly that our objective is to have the players we named as the U.S. women’s national team be the ones that compete in the world championship,” said Dave Ogrean, executive director of USA Hockey, in a statement. “Productive conversations have taken place this week and are ongoing in our collective efforts to reach a resolution.”

The alternate players are in the professional NWHL and college, according to USA Today, a report that USA Hockey would not confirm.

U.S. captain Meghan Duggan has said every player in the U.S. national team player pool, plus under-18 national team players, committed to not playing at worlds unless the wage dispute is resolved.

The world championship tournament starts March 31 in Plymouth, Mich.

As of Thursday evening, no resolution has come between USA Hockey and its women’s national team. They met formally on Monday for more than 10 hours, with both sides calling it productive.

Neither side has said when its next scheduled meeting will take place.

On Tuesday, USA Hockey said it postponed a pre-worlds camp that was to run through next Tuesday in Traverse City, Mich., and canceled a scheduled Friday exhibition against Finland.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: NHL asked for decision on Olympics by end of April

NHL asked for decision on Olympics by end of April

Getty Images
Leave a comment

International Ice Hockey Federation President Rene Fasel tells The Associated Press he needs to know by the end of April whether NHL players will be cleared to play in the South Korea Olympics next year.

NHL team owners have made it clear they don’t want to stop their season again for the Winter Games and put their stars at risk of injury. The reluctance has come up before and yet the NHL has participated in the Olympics since 1998. This time, however, there seems to be an impasse.

The head of the NHL Players Association, Donald Fehr, says the players want to participate and hopes the league will take advantage of the chance to market the game in Asia.

However, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly says without “material change to the current status quo, NHL players will not be participating in the 2018 Winter Olympics.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: 2018 Olympic hockey groups set