Getty Images

Allyson Felix eyes 200m as she works toward 2020 Olympics

Leave a comment

Allyson Felix wants to race at a fifth Olympics in 2020 but, now at age 31, plans to compete less and repeated that the 200m is her “baby” and “favorite event.”

“Yes, I think I want to do it [compete at Tokyo 2020],” Felix said at the Los Angeles Sports Awards on Tuesday night. “Now, I have all this experience that I can use. I remember when I was the youngest on the team. Now, I’m one of the oldest. … I can train smarter. I think now, less is more. We were talking about competing less. That is really key as well.”

Last year, Felix took silver in the Olympic 400m, edged by the Bahamas’ Shaunae Miller by .07.

Felix had hoped to race the 200m and 400m in Rio, but she missed the Olympic team by .01 in the 200m at the Olympic Trials in July, slowed by partially tearing two ligaments in her right ankle in late April.

The nine-time Olympic medalist said in September that she wasn’t committing to going for a 200m-400m double at the 2017 World Championships. Nor did she consider herself a 400m runner.

“I’m always hanging onto the 200m,” Felix said in September. “I just feel like I haven’t ran it [the 200m] in the past few years, for one reason or the other [neither at the 2015 Worlds due to a tight schedule nor 2016 Olympics due to not qualifying]. The opportunity hasn’t quite been there. I’m excited, looking forward to this year [2017]. I’m not sure exactly what I’m going to do, but I know that I’m not done with the 200m yet.”

Miller said earlier this month that she hopes to race both the 200m and 400m at the world championships in London in August, when the 400m final comes about 2 1/2 hours after the 200m heats end.

Felix said in September that the missed opportunity in 2016 only made her more emboldened to go for the double in the future.

“Because my training was going so well before [the injury],” she said. “I’m just so curious what I could have done. That’s the thing that really eats me up, to know that I wasn’t at my best to be able to do it. To see where I would be in four years, I don’t know. Or at a world championships [in 2017 or 2019], I’m not sure.”

In 2020, Felix could try to become the oldest U.S. women’s Olympic medalist in an individual track and field event, beating the mark set by Jackie Joyner-Kersee at Atlanta 1996. By making the Olympic team, she would match the record for U.S. Olympic track and field appearances at five with Gail DeversAmy Acuff and Willye White.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Bolt would have considered 2020 Olympics if he lost medal before Rio

USA Hockey to start reaching out to potential replacement players

Getty Images
Leave a comment

USA Hockey will begin reaching out to “alternate players” to determine their interest in playing for the U.S. at the women’s world championship next week amid a potential boycott by its national team.

The contact is taking place in the event a resolution cannot be reached between USA Hockey and the women’s national team in a wage dispute.

“It’s important for everyone to understand clearly that our objective is to have the players we named as the U.S. women’s national team be the ones that compete in the world championship,” said Dave Ogrean, executive director of USA Hockey, in a statement. “Productive conversations have taken place this week and are ongoing in our collective efforts to reach a resolution.”

The alternate players are in the professional NWHL and college, according to USA Today, a report that USA Hockey would not confirm.

U.S. captain Meghan Duggan has said every player in the U.S. national team player pool, plus under-18 national team players, committed to not playing at worlds unless the wage dispute is resolved.

“We are confident that they [potential replacement players] would choose not to play,” the U.S. players said in a statement.

The world championship tournament starts March 31 in Plymouth, Mich.

As of Thursday evening, no resolution has come between USA Hockey and its women’s national team. They met formally on Monday for more than 10 hours, with both sides calling it productive.

“We ask that they approve the original agreement that, the players believed, was acceptable to both parties after Monday’s meeting,” the players said in a statement. “Unless there is an agreement, the players remain resolved to bypass the defense of the world championship.”

Neither side has said when the next meeting will take place.

On Tuesday, USA Hockey said it postponed a pre-worlds camp that was to run through next Tuesday in Traverse City, Mich., and canceled a scheduled Friday exhibition against Finland.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: NHL asked for decision on Olympics by end of April

NHL asked for decision on Olympics by end of April

Getty Images
Leave a comment

International Ice Hockey Federation President Rene Fasel tells The Associated Press he needs to know by the end of April whether NHL players will be cleared to play in the South Korea Olympics next year.

NHL team owners have made it clear they don’t want to stop their season again for the Winter Games and put their stars at risk of injury. The reluctance has come up before and yet the NHL has participated in the Olympics since 1998. This time, however, there seems to be an impasse.

The head of the NHL Players Association, Donald Fehr, says the players want to participate and hopes the league will take advantage of the chance to market the game in Asia.

However, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly says without “material change to the current status quo, NHL players will not be participating in the 2018 Winter Olympics.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: 2018 Olympic hockey groups set