Kevin Durant, Peyton Manning
AP

Peyton Manning uses Final Five for Kevin Durant joke at ESPYs

Leave a comment

Peyton Manning roasted Kevin Durant at the ESPYs, with a little help from the Final Five.

In Manning’s opening monologue, he made light of Durant’s decision to leave the Oklahoma City Thunder for the Golden State Warriors last July, one month before Durant won his second Olympic gold in Rio.

Video is here.

“I love that the Final Five won the most Olympic medals of any U.S. women’s gymnastics team ever,” Manning said Wednesday night. “And our gymnastics team was so dominant that Kevin Durant told me that he wants to play for them next year. And I got to tell you, I don’t think you’d start for that team, Kevin. Russell Westbrook, what do you think?”

Durant sat stone-faced, appearing to be displeased at being the butt of the joke. Westbrook, too, gave little reaction after losing Durant as a teammate the previous year.

Aly Raisman later reached out to Durant on Twitter.

Manning’s first athlete joke of the 10-minute monologue was about Ryan Lochte, whose Rio gas-station incident was also fodder for Jimmy Fallon at the MTV Video Music Awards one week after the Olympics.

“The ESPYs finally got it right this year, because normally some comedian or entertainer or Matthew Perry comes up here and just tears the athletes to shreds,” Manning said. “I know what some of y’all are thinking, right? [Pro wrestler] John Cena hosted the ESPYs last year, and he’s an athlete. John Cena is an athlete the same way that Ryan Lochte is a reliable witness. It’s just not an accurate statement, right? [Michael] Phelps, am I right? I’m right, yeah, thank you Phelps.”

Lochte was not believed to be in attendance. When the camera panned to Phelps, he hid his face while laughing.

In 2013, Lochte was the butt of a Jon Hamm ESPYs monologue joke, which also caused Phelps to crack up.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Biles leads Olympian ESPY winners

USA Track and Field to honor 1968 Olympic team on 50th anniversary

AP
Leave a comment

USA Track and Field begins a campaign this week to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1968 Olympic team.

Members of the Mexico City Games team, one of the greatest track and field teams in history, will be honored at high-profile events the remainder of the year.

The campaign, “1968-2018: Celebrating Athletic Achievement and Courage,” culminates with a “Night of Legends” reunion in December at the USATF Annual Meeting in Columbus, Ohio, also attended by current U.S. stars.

The 1968 Olympic team is most remembered for Tommie Smith and John Carlos, who took gold and bronze in the 200m and were sent home after raising their black-gloved fists in a human rights salute during the national anthem.

The team also included gold medalists Bob Beamon (long jump), Dick Fosbury (high jump), Al Oerter (discus), Wyomia Tyus and Jim Hines (100m), Lee Evans (400m), Madeline Manning Mims (800m), Willie Davenport (110m hurdles), Bob Seagren (pole vault), Randy Matson (shot put), Bill Toomey (decathlon) and the men’s and women’s 4x100m and men’s 4x400m.

“The legacy of the greatest track & field team to ever be assembled is still felt 50 years later,” USATF CEO Max Siegel said in a press release. “These Olympians persevered through athletic challenges and social injustices, maintaining their composure and dignity when others may have fallen. It is USATF’s honor to pay homage to their achievements and bring the team together for an epic celebration at our Annual Meeting.”

U.S. track and field athletes will compete at two meets on NBC Sports and NBC Sports Gold this weekend — the Drake Relays and Penn Relays.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

WATCH: NBC Olympics documentary on 1968 Olympics

Paralyzed man walks London Marathon in 36 hours in exoskeleton

Getty Images
Leave a comment

A paralyzed man walked the London Marathon route wearing an exoskeleton suit, finishing around 11 p.m. Monday, nearly 36 hours after he started, according to British media.

Simon Kindleysides was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor in April 2013 and was paralyzed from the waist down, he said on the BBC before the race.

“I want to be a role model to my children so they can say their daddy’s been the first paralyzed man to walk the London Marathon ever,” said Kindleysides, a 34-year-old father of three, according to the report.

Kindleysides predicted he would finish in 37 hours, completing the first half of the 26.2-mile race on Sunday, then sleeping a few hours and walking the final 13.1 miles on Monday. Kindleysides said after finishing that he spent 26.5 of those 36 hours walking the marathon.

“Painful, emotional to walk that far in 26.5 hours,” he said. “It feels amazing. So glad I’ve done it. I’m here proving a point, anything is possible.”

Kindleysides said he handcycled from London to Paris for charity two years ago.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: London Marathon results