Usain Bolt ‘disrespected’ by promising sprinter

Leave a comment

Usain Bolt said a current or former promising sprinter “disrespected” him, but he has not said which one.

Bolt was asked Tuesday if he could name anybody who could fill his shoes as world’s fastest man after he retires following the world championships (Bolt begins racing Friday on NBC Sports and Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA).

“I’m not going down that road,” Bolt said in London, which hosts worlds at the 2012 Olympic Stadium. “The last guy I said was going to be great disrespected me. So I’m not going to say who’s going to be great. I’m just going to leave it to whoever shows up and is willing to fill my shoes will fill my shoes.”

Bolt did not name the disrespectful sprinter. Media speculated Andre De Grasse, the 22-year-old Canadian who took silver and bronze behind Bolt in the sprints at the Rio Olympics. (Update: De Grasse is now out of worlds with a strained hamstring)

De Grasse’s coach reportedly claimed Bolt had meet organizers exclude De Grasse from his last 100m race in Monaco on July 21 to make it easier for Bolt to win. The following day, Bolt’s team, a meet official and even De Grasse denied it.

So is De Grasse the disrespectful sprinter? Maybe not. Recall that Bolt was asked last month about the next wave of sprinters, before De Grasse’s coach’s comments came out.

“I’ve learned not to call names, you know what I mean, because over the years I’ve noticed that some youngsters, really no matter how much you give them props, I’ve learned that they don’t show the respect to a lot of the athletes that have really helped them to pave the way throughout the years,” Bolt said. “So, for me, I stopped saying who’s going to be the next Usain or who’s going to shine.”

WORLDS: TV Schedule | 5 Men’s Races to Watch | 5 Women’s Races

It’s clear Bolt’s perceived lack of respect from a sprinter or sprinters is not a new feeling. Bolt was asked to describe his relationship with De Grasse on Tuesday.

“I don’t know,” Bolt said after having the reporter repeat the question. “Um, I see him around. I say hi. That’s it, I guess. I don’t know how to describe that because I don’t have his number or anything, so I just say hi.

“I don’t know where his career’s going to go in the future … but in the past he’s won a bronze medal, he won a silver medal, shows he has talent. We’ll see what happens in the future. It’s all about consistency.”

In June, De Grasse mentioned an aim to defeat Bolt at his last worlds. Bolt was asked about De Grasse later that week.

“All I have to say to De Grasse is take your time and work your way up to the top,” Bolt said.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Bolt gets video message from Segway cameraman

Russian skeleton stars banned from World Cups

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The two Russians who had their medals from the Sochi Games stripped because of doping have been barred from competing in World Cup races, at least temporarily.

It’s the latest sanction against Aleksandr Tretiakov and Elena Nikitina, who had their medals — gold for Tretiakov, bronze for Nikitina — taken away Wednesday after it was determined they were part of Russia’s state-sponsored doping program at the 2014 Olympics. They have already been banned from future Olympics, and now may have no place to slide.

The International Bobsled and Skeleton Federation handed down the suspensions Thursday, effective immediately. Tretiakov and Nikitina were both planning to compete in World Cup races at Whistler, British Columbia, this weekend.

In all, four Russians have been suspended by the IBSF. Along with Tretiakov and Nikitina, Mariia Orlova and Olga Potylitsyna — who have been racing on the lesser-tier Intercontinental Cup Circuit this season — were also banned, just as they were by the IOC. All four are expected to appeal, and the IBSF said they will be entitled to a hearing if that happens.

“Sport is all about who’s the best on that day and if anything compromises that, like the situations in Sochi, it taints everything and kind of undermines the fundamental belief in the system and the competition itself,” said USA Bobsled and Skeleton CEO Darrin Steele, also is a vice president with the IBSF. “This is kind of righting the ship.”

The IBSF’s decision is a strong one and is in stark contrast to one made by the International Ski Federation, which is allowing Russian cross-country skiers who were found guilty of doping at the Sochi Olympics to compete in World Cup events this weekend. The FIS wants to see detailed reasons why the IOC disciplinary panel reached its decisions about the Russian athletes.

The IBSF isn’t waiting.

“I understand that it was a difference of culture and that the Russians don’t believe they did anything wrong,” U.S. women’s skeleton veteran Katie Uhlaender said after the IOC decision to strip the medals and issue the Olympic bans was announced Wednesday. “But this was the only way to fix it.”

Uhlaender will be promoted to the bronze medal spot once Nikitina, as the IOC has ordered, surrenders what had been her bronze from Sochi and the IBSF updates the results. Tretiakov was the men’s gold-medalist; the revised order of finish for that event will now have Latvia’s Martins Dukurs getting gold, Matt Antoine of the U.S. bumped up to silver and Latvia’s Tomass Dukurs, Martins’ brother, will become the bronze medalist.

Uhlaender, who was fourth, will soon officially be third behind gold medalist Lizzy Yarnold of Britain and silver medalist Noelle Pikus-Pace of the U.S.

Sliders have lauded the IOC for doing the right thing, though noted that racers like Uhlaender and Tomass Dukurs — even once they have medals in hand — will never be able to replicate the moment on a podium that they should have had in Sochi.

“Having the physical medal’s cool, but most of it in my opinion is the experience of everything that happens,” Antoine said. “That’s what you cherish the most.”

Not having the top Russians on the World Cup circuit figures to have a major impact on the points standings.

Nikitina was the World Cup women’s points leader after the first two races of the season, and was coming off a victory last weekend in Park City, Utah. Tretiakov was fourth so far in the men’s standings, including a bronze at the season-opening race in Lake Placid, New York.

Russian skiers banned from Olympics allowed to race World Cup opener

AP
Leave a comment

GENEVA (AP) — Russian cross-country skiers found guilty of doping at the Sochi Olympics can compete in World Cup races this weekend because the International Ski Federation (FIS) has been unable to prosecute its own cases in time.

Six Russians, including two Sochi medalists, were retroactively disqualified from the Winter Games this month and banned from the Olympics for life by the IOC.

FIS previously blocked all six from competing with interim suspensions, but those expired on Oct. 31. The International Olympic Committee judging panel then reached its verdicts this month.

However, FIS said Thursday that its own judicial body lacks key IOC documents to process cases.

“Consequently, the FIS Doping Panel is obliged to wait until the IOC Disciplinary Commission reasoned decisions are submitted with details of the evidence relied on,” said the governing body, which is responsible for imposing competition bans.

“As a consequence the active athletes are eligible to compete in FIS including World Cup competitions for the time being,” FIS said.

The World Cup season for men and women begins Friday in Ruka, Finland, with sprint and long-distance racing.

Organizers had not published starting lists Thursday for the three-day meeting and it was unclear which of the six intend to start.

Alexander Legkov and Maxim Vylegzhanin both won multiple medals in Sochi but were stripped by the IOC. The others suspended by the IOC were Evgeny Belov, Alexei Petukhov, Yulia Ivanova and Evgenia Shapovalova.

FIS said rules governed by the World Anti-Doping Agency meant it could not re-impose interim bans without “a specific allegation” plus evidence.

Attempting to assure cross-country skiers they will not be competing against doped rivals, FIS said an additional and independent testing program for Russians has been in operation since June and has taken about 250 blood and urine samples.

The three-man IOC disciplinary panel — chaired by Denis Oswald, a Swiss lawyer and member of the Olympic body’s executive board — has not issued detailed reasons for judgments in 10 cases from Sochi so far completed in cross-country skiing and skeleton.

Without positive doping tests, the panel used evidence of state-backed cover-ups and tampering of sample bottles in the Sochi laboratory first gathered last year by WADA investigator Richard McLaren.

At least 18 more Russian athletes are having their cases prosecuted in an ongoing series of hearings in Lausanne, Switzerland.

On Wednesday, the International Bobsled and Skeleton Federation said it would update “within the next days” action against four Russians, including the Sochi gold medalist Alexander Tretiyakov and bronze medalist Elena Nikitina.

Nikitina won a skeleton World Cup race last weekend in Park City, Utah — a result which may soon be overturned by the IBSF.

All the Russian athletes disqualified by the IOC can appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

On Dec. 5, IOC President Thomas Bach will announce after a board meeting if the Russian team will be banned from the Olympics, which open Feb. 9 in PyeongChang.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: IOC sets date, time to announce Russia Olympic decision