track and field

Getty Images

Galen Rupp, Jordan Hasay set next marathon after Boston podiums

Leave a comment

Galen Rupp and Jordan Hasay will race the Chicago Marathon on Oct. 8 rather than the Berlin or New York City Marathons this fall.

Rupp and Hasay finished second and third, respectively, in the Boston Marathon on April 17. It marked the best U.S. combined male and female finishes since 1985.

Chicago is expected to mark Rupp’s move to full-time marathoning after he failed to make the U.S. team for August’s world championships in the 10,000m.

Rupp, 31, has a sterling early marathon record. He debuted by winning the Olympic Trials on Feb. 13, 2016, then earned a bronze medal in Rio. Rupp made his city marathon debut in Boston, finishing 21 seconds behind Kenyan winner Geoffrey Kirui.

He could become the first U.S. runner of either gender to win Chicago since Deena Kastor in 2005.

The other star U.S. men’s marathoner, Meb Keflezighi, will race his final elite marathon in New York City on Nov. 5.

Hasay, who shares a coach with Rupp in three-time New York City Marathon winner Alberto Salazar, will race her second career marathon in Chicago. The 25-year-old ran the fastest debut marathon by a U.S. woman by three minutes in finishing third in Boston.

The other top U.S. female marathoners — Amy CraggShalane FlanaganMolly Huddle and Desi Linden — have not announced fall marathon plans.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: No. 2 women’s marathoner of all time signs up for NYC

60-year-old race walker receives steroid ban

Getty Images
Leave a comment

A 60-year-old race walker failed a drug test for anabolic steroids and was banned four years by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

Scott McPherson “tested positive for the presence of an exogenous androgenic anabolic steroid and/or its metabolites” at the USATF Masters Indoor Championships in Albuquerque, N.M., on Feb. 18, according to USADA.

McPherson was the only competitor in his age group at the meet, covering a mile in 10 minutes, 37.67 seconds and the 3K in 20:06.27.

McPherson went on to compete at the world championships in Daegu, South Korea, in March, finishing fifth in his age group in the 3K and 10K.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Olympian failed drug test due to ‘frequent, passionate’ kissing

Andre De Grasse ‘booted’ from Usain Bolt race, coach says

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Andre De Grasse was left out of a potential Diamond League 100m race against Usain Bolt in Monaco on Friday, per Bolt’s wishes, the coach of De Grasse reportedly said.

De Grasse, the Olympic 100m bronze medalist and 200m silver medalist, is entered in the 4x100m relay only in Monaco (Friday, 2 p.m. ET, NBCSN and NBC Sports Gold).

“We were in the [100m] race. We got booted out. That’s all on Bolt,” Stuart McMillan said, according to CBC. “Let’s just say he wanted not such an elite field against him.”

“The fastest guy in the world gets to choose the field,” McMillan added, according to the Canadian Press. “But I don’t blame him at all. This is his last year, he’s only raced twice. I totally understand that he doesn’t want to increase the pressure prior to worlds by going in with a potential loss.

“If anyone deserves the right to choose the field, it’s Bolt.”

A deleted tweet from De Grasse’s account on Wednesday said McMillan’s reasoning was “believable.”

“He’s got to be smarter this late in his career,” the tweet read. “He and his coach know he has to pick his spots. His aim is worlds. The story is believable.”

Bolt’s team denied playing a role in De Grasse’s exclusion, according to the Telegraph.

Bolt, who is on a four-year winning streak going into the last two meets of his career in Monaco and at August’s world championships, is known for rarely facing his chief rivals outside of major meets.

De Grasse, in addition to sharing the Rio medal podium with Bolt three times, has run the fastest 100m this year under all conditions (9.69 seconds with a massive tailwind). De Grasse has failed to break 10 seconds in five wind-legal races this year, but so has Bolt in his two starts against lackluster competition.

In 2012, Bolt reportedly said he did not think he should race countryman and training partner Yohan Blake, then his biggest threat, more than once or twice a year.

“You play the rivalry down if you always compete against each other,” Bolt said in September 2012, according to Reuters. “Top athletes should compete maybe two or three times maximum. If you always compete people get bored, and they know who’ll win.”

In 2012, Blake cited “big money” for why he and Bolt didn’t race each other more often, though Bolt’s agent has said it’s not about that.

Appearance fees and sponsors can complicate top sprinters from facing each other. Bolt and De Grasse both wear Puma.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Bolt: Nobody is running fast this year