Oscar Pistorius’s lawyers filed an appeal Friday against the bail restrictions imposed on the Blade Runner after he was charged with the murder of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, last month.
“The conditions appealed against are unwarranted and not substantiated by the facts,” read the appeal, which was released to the Associated Press by the Olympian’s family via email Monday.
The current restrictions handed down by the South African Magistrate require that Pistorius relinquish his passports and firearms, stay away from his home and neighbors, refrain from using drugs and alcohol, and restrict him from leaving Pretoria without official permission.
Pistorius shot Steenkamp three times on Valentines Day morning through his bathroom after he claims he heard a noise that he thought was an intruder in his house. Only after he had fired did he considered it might have been Steenkamp. He saw he had shot her, called paramedics, and carried her downstairs to wait for help to arrive. She died in his arms. He bawled in court as his statement was read last month.
The appeal argues that there is “no basis in fact or in law” for the terms, and that evidence at last month’s hearing proved that Pistorius is not a flight risk and should be allowed to leave the country so long as he has official permission from the court. It also suggests that the sprinter should be allowed to consume alcohol, and that he should be able to return to his home once officers complete their investigation.
“He’s not under house arrest, but his movements need to be known to us so that we don’t pitch there and he’s not there,” said chief deputy commissioner James Smalberger. “We agree on free time normally during the course of the day, and in the evening we expect him to be home.”
Pistorius has been staying with his uncle Andrew, where officials will visit him four times a month until the trial beings in Pretoria on June 4.
But Swiatek is not as dominant as in 2022, when she went 16-0 in the spring clay season during an overall 37-match win streak.
She retired from her last pre-French Open match with a right thigh injury and said it wasn’t serious. Before that, she lost the final of another clay-court tournament to Australian Open champion Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus.
Sabalenka, the No. 2 seed, is her top remaining challenger in Paris.
No. 3 Jessica Pegula, the highest-seeded American man or woman, was eliminated in the third round. No. 4 Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan, who has three wins over Swiatek this year, withdrew before her third-round match due to illness.
No. 6 Coco Gauff, runner-up to Swiatek last year, is the best hope to become the first American to win a Grand Slam singles title since Sofia Kenin at the 2020 Australian Open. The 11-major drought is the longest for U.S. women since Seleswon the 1996 Australian Open.
But the No. 1 seed is Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz, who won last year’s U.S. Open to become, at 19, the youngest man to win a major since Nadal’s first French Open title in 2005.
Now Alcaraz looks to become the second-youngest man to win at Roland Garros since 1989, after Nadal of course.
Alcaraz missed the Australian Open in January due to a right leg injury, but since went 30-3 with four titles. Notably, he has not faced Djokovic this year. They could meet in the semifinals.
Russian Daniil Medvedev, the No. 2 seed, was upset in the first round by 172nd-ranked Brazilian qualifier Thiago Seyboth Wild. It marked the first time a men’s top-two seed lost in the first round of any major since 2003 Wimbledon (Ivo Karlovic d. Lleyton Hewitt).
No. 12 Frances Tiafoe is the last American remaining, looking to become the first U.S. man to make the French Open quarterfinals since Andre Agassi in 2003. Since then, five different American men combined to make the fourth round on eight occasions.