IOC discussing new disciplines for Rio

3 Comments

IOC officials said Tuesday they’ll consider expanding the number of disciplines of current Olympic sports in the lead up to the Rio Games. That’s right, wrestling fans, they’ve potentially dropped your event all together, but are considering 3-on-3 basketball, BMX street, and a lot more swimming.

“All of [the governing bodies] believe that adding something will be fantastic for their sport,” IOC sports director Christophe Dubi told the Associated Press. “We look at it from the other angle: Will that bring, or not, an added value to the Olympic Games?”

FINA, swimming’s governing body, seems to be the most vocal in their push for eight more races and extra entrants in nearly every single aquatic event, including diving and synchronized swimming.

The IOC is also sure to expand the beach volleyball field from 24 teams to 32, as they consider it the “signature sport” of the Rio Games. Beach soccer, which also would have been a great centerpiece on the beaches of Rio, was also initially considered but never officially discussed between FIFA and the IOC.

All that said, gender equality seems to be high on the agenda as well, and was apparently a big part of the reason why wrestling, which had seven men’s Greco-Roman classes in London for men but zero for women, lost favor during February’s IOC vote that recommended the sports removal from the 2020 Olympics schedule.

“Yes, that was always a controversy that they didn’t have women for Greco,” Dubi admitted regarding February’s now infamous vote. “I will be interested to see what they will propose for Rio.”

The wrestling community will host an emergency meeting in Moscow next month to see what, if anything, can help them retain their spot on the 2020 Olympics schedule.

Meanwhile, the IOC executive board is planning to meet August 9 in Moscow to decide which of the sports would be worthwhile to expand after they examine reports from Dubi’s team.

Diana Taurasi returns to U.S. national basketball team

Diana Taurasi
Getty
0 Comments

Diana Taurasi is set to return to the U.S. national basketball team next week for the first time since the Tokyo Olympics, signaling a possible bid for a record-breaking sixth Olympic appearance in 2024 at age 42.

Taurasi is on the 15-player roster for next week’s training camp in Minnesota announced Tuesday.

Brittney Griner is not on the list but is expected to return to competitive basketball later this year with her WNBA team, the Phoenix Mercury (also Taurasi’s longtime team, though she is currently a free agent), after being detained in Russia for 10 months in 2022.

Taurasi said as far back as the 2016 Rio Games that her Olympic career was likely over, but returned to the national team after Dawn Staley succeeded Geno Auriemma as head coach in 2017.

In Tokyo, Taurasi and longtime backcourt partner Sue Bird became the first basketball players to win five Olympic gold medals. Bird has since retired.

After beating Japan in the final, Taurasi said “see you in Paris,” smiling, as she left an NBC interview. That’s now looking less like a joke and more like a prediction.

Minnesota Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve succeeded Staley as head coach last year. In early fall, she guided the U.S. to arguably the best FIBA World Cup performance ever, despite not having stalwarts Bird, Griner, Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles.

Taurasi was not in contention for the team after suffering a WNBA season-ending quad injury in the summer. Taurasi, who is 38-0 in Olympic games and started every game at the last four Olympics, wasn’t on a U.S. team for an Olympics or worlds for the first time since 2002.

Next year, Taurasi can become the oldest Olympic basketball player in history and the first to play in six Games, according to Olympedia.org. Spain’s Rudy Fernandez could also play in a sixth Olympics in 2024.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

Mo Farah likely to retire this year

Mo Farah
Getty
0 Comments

British track legend Mo Farah will likely retire by the end of this year.

“I’m not going to go to the Olympics, and I think 2023 will probably be my last year,” the 39-year-old Farah said, according to multiple British media reports.

Farah, who swept the 5000m and 10,000m golds at the Olympics in 2012 and 2016, was announced Tuesday as part of the field for the London Marathon on April 23.

Last May, Farah reportedly said he believed his career on the track was over, but not the roads.

London might not be his last marathon. Farah also said that if, toward the end of this year, he was capable of being picked to run for Britain again, he would “never turn that down,” according to Tuesday’s reports.

It’s not clear if Farah was referencing the world track and field championships, which include a marathon and are in Budapest in August. Or selection for the 2024 British Olympic marathon team.

The fastest British male marathoner last year ran 2:10:46, ranking outside the top 300 in the world. Farah broke 2:10 in all five marathons that he’s finished, but he hasn’t run one since October 2019 (aside from pacing the 2020 London Marathon).

Farah withdrew four days before the last London Marathon on Oct. 2, citing a right hip injury.

Farah switched from the track to the marathon after the 2017 World Championships and won the 2018 Chicago Marathon in a then-European record time of 2:05:11. Belgium’s Bashir Abdi now holds the record at 2:03:36.

Farah’s best London Marathon finish in four starts was third place in 2018.

Farah returned to the track in a failed bid to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics, then shifted back to the roads.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!