Larry Probst

Potential U.S. bid for 2024 Olympics could come from limited number of cities

2 Comments

U.S. Olympic Committee chairman Larry Probst said that if the U.S. decides next year to bid on the 2024 Olympics, it will come from “not a long list of cities, realistically.”

“I think it’s got to be a city that is compelling to people around the world, that resonates with all of the IOC membership,” Probst told The Associated Press after being voted in as an International Olympic Committee member in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on Tuesday.

In February, the USOC sent letters to mayors of 35 cities to gauge interest in potential bids for 2024. The U.S. hasn’t hosted an Olympics since the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Games. It is in the midst of its longest stretch between hosting Olympics since the 28-year gap between 1932 (Los Angeles, Summer) and 1960 (Squaw Valley, Winter).

Cities that expressed interest from the group of 35 include Dallas, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.

Probst said 2024 Olympic bidding will be talked about at USOC meetings in December, when a timetable for the selection of a city could be created. Bidding for the 2024 Olympic host begins in 2015, and the IOC will vote in 2017.

“First step is we have to decide that we are going to move forward and we have to go through a process of which city gives us the best chance,” Probst told the AP.

Probst didn’t think Tokyo’s win over Istanbul and Madrid for the 2020 Olympics “changes the calculation” for potential 2024 plans.

Asia will have hosted back-to-back Olympics in 2018 and 2020. The 2022 Winter Games host will be determined in 2015. Barcelona, Munich and Oslo have considered bids, but Almaty, Kazakhstan, is the only official application so far.

For 2024, Paris and Rome have been looked at as potential bidders.

From 2004 through 2020, Europe and Asia will have hosted seven of nine Olympics. Africa has never hosted, Australia last hosted in 2000, Rio de Janeiro will be the first South American host in 2016 and Vancouver held the 2010 Winter Games.

Washington, D.C., group launches 2024 bid hopes

Chinese figure skating judges banned for biased Olympic scoring

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Two Chinese figure skating judges were suspended by the International Skating Union for biased judging at the PyeongChang Olympics.

Chen Weiguang and Huang Feng had “preferential marking” for top Chinese skaters Jin Boyang (fourth place in PyeongChang) and the silver medalist pairs’ team of Sui Wenjing and Han Cong, respectively, according to the ISU.

Chen was banned two years and excluded from the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing. Huang got a one-year ban.

Chen awarded her highest grades of execution scores of the men’s competition to Jin, as well as her second-highest program components scores, trailing only gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyu. Both sets of scores, in both the short and long programs, were out of line with the other eight judges.

“There is evidence of preference for the Chinese skater and prejudice against his strongest competitors,” an ISU report read. “Her marks were completely unrealistic.”

The pairs’ judge Huang “obviously favored his pair also vis-à-vis the other top candidates for the Olympic gold medal,” the ISU said in a report, referencing inflated scores for Sui and Han and lower scores for gold and bronze medalists Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot of Germany and Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford of Canada.

Huang was warned one month before the Olympics by the ISU for biased judging at the December 2017 Grand Prix Final pairs’ event.

Both suspensions are subject to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Adam Rippon opines on figure skating future

Javier Fernandez to skip Grand Prix, still compete next season

Getty Images
1 Comment

Javier Fernandez, who in PyeongChang became the first Spanish Olympic figure skating medalist, will skip the fall Grand Prix series but return for January’s European Championships, which could be his final competition.

Europeans will be Fernandez’s focus for the season, his agent said Tuesday.

Fernandez, 26, added an Olympic bronze medal to his 2015 and 2016 World titles. He has said that his third Olympics in PyeongChang would be his last. But Fernandez did not say he would retire after the Winter Games, though he did skip the world championships in March.

Fernandez now plans to compete in his 13th straight European Championships in Minsk in January. He won the last six titles. It’s unknown if he will continue on to the world championships in Saitama, Japan, in March.

In Fernandez’s absence, the top male singles skaters in the fall Grand Prix season should be double Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu, PyeongChang silver medalist Shoma Uno and American Nathan Chen, who was fifth at the Olympics after a disastrous short program but ran away with March’s world title by the largest margin in history.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Adam Rippon opines on figure skating future