Ben Johnson on Carl Lewis: ‘He is not a man’

Ben Johnson
12 Comments

Ben Johnson, the Canadian sprinter stripped of a 1988 Olympic gold medal for doping, is continuing to make headlines on his new anti-doping crusade.

The latest came Thursday, when he made comments about his 1980s rival, American Carl Lewis.

“We know several times before the Olympic Games he tested positive,” Johnson told Fox Sports in Australia. “And for him preaching the word that he’s clean and working with kids, I challenge him to come on this campaign, tell the truth, tell the world that he has used performance enhancing drugs.

“He would be ashamed but he would be a man to come forward and we can work together. If he can’t come face to face we know what he is. He is not a man.”

Johnson has made similar comments about Lewis before.

Lewis is the second-most decorated Olympic track and field athlete of all time with 10 medals, nine of them gold. One of those golds is the 1988 Olympic 100-meter title, awarded to Lewis after Johnson was stripped.

“Ben Johnson is 100% wrong,” Lewis’ long-time manager, Joe Douglas, said in an email. “Carl did not take steroids and he never tested positive for steroids.”

Ten years ago, Lewis confirmed reports he tested positive three times at the 1988 U.S. Olympic Trials for small amounts of banned stimulants. Lewis said he accidentally consumed the banned substances via cold medication. The U.S. Olympic Committee at first disqualified him, then accepted his appeal based on inadvertent use, according to The Associated Press.

Johnson then asked for Lewis to be stripped of his 1988 Olympic medals.

“(He) tested positive several times but he’s been protected,” Johnson told Fox Sports. “Because he’s American.

“I have a clear conscience. For me that is No. 1. He has to live with that conscience and that conscience is a lie and he knows that.”

Johnson has said he and Lewis don’t like each other.

“I am not afraid of Carl,” he told Fox Sports. “He is not going to come forward because he is not a man.”

Former 100-meter world record holder and University of Houston track and field coach Leroy Burrell said Thursday that Lewis was joining the Cougars’ staff as a volunteer coach.

Ben Johnson says he would have beaten Usain Bolt

Diana Taurasi returns to U.S. national basketball team

Diana Taurasi
Getty
0 Comments

Diana Taurasi is set to return to the U.S. national basketball team next week for the first time since the Tokyo Olympics, signaling a possible bid for a record-breaking sixth Olympic appearance in 2024 at age 42.

Taurasi is on the 15-player roster for next week’s training camp in Minnesota announced Tuesday.

Brittney Griner is not on the list but is expected to return to competitive basketball later this year with her WNBA team, the Phoenix Mercury (also Taurasi’s longtime team, though she is currently a free agent), after being detained in Russia for 10 months in 2022.

Taurasi said as far back as the 2016 Rio Games that her Olympic career was likely over, but returned to the national team after Dawn Staley succeeded Geno Auriemma as head coach in 2017.

In Tokyo, Taurasi and longtime backcourt partner Sue Bird became the first basketball players to win five Olympic gold medals. Bird has since retired.

After beating Japan in the final, Taurasi said “see you in Paris,” smiling, as she left an NBC interview. That’s now looking less like a joke and more like a prediction.

Minnesota Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve succeeded Staley as head coach last year. In early fall, she guided the U.S. to arguably the best FIBA World Cup performance ever, despite not having stalwarts Bird, Griner, Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles.

Taurasi was not in contention for the team after suffering a WNBA season-ending quad injury in the summer. Taurasi, who is 38-0 in Olympic games and started every game at the last four Olympics, wasn’t on a U.S. team for an Olympics or worlds for the first time since 2002.

Next year, Taurasi can become the oldest Olympic basketball player in history and the first to play in six Games, according to Olympedia.org. Spain’s Rudy Fernandez could also play in a sixth Olympics in 2024.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

Mo Farah likely to retire this year

Mo Farah
Getty
0 Comments

British track legend Mo Farah will likely retire by the end of this year.

“I’m not going to go to the Olympics, and I think 2023 will probably be my last year,” the 39-year-old Farah said, according to multiple British media reports.

Farah, who swept the 5000m and 10,000m golds at the Olympics in 2012 and 2016, was announced Tuesday as part of the field for the London Marathon on April 23.

Last May, Farah reportedly said he believed his career on the track was over, but not the roads.

London might not be his last marathon. Farah also said that if, toward the end of this year, he was capable of being picked to run for Britain again, he would “never turn that down,” according to Tuesday’s reports.

It’s not clear if Farah was referencing the world track and field championships, which include a marathon and are in Budapest in August. Or selection for the 2024 British Olympic marathon team.

The fastest British male marathoner last year ran 2:10:46, ranking outside the top 300 in the world. Farah broke 2:10 in all five marathons that he’s finished, but he hasn’t run one since October 2019 (aside from pacing the 2020 London Marathon).

Farah withdrew four days before the last London Marathon on Oct. 2, citing a right hip injury.

Farah switched from the track to the marathon after the 2017 World Championships and won the 2018 Chicago Marathon in a then-European record time of 2:05:11. Belgium’s Bashir Abdi now holds the record at 2:03:36.

Farah’s best London Marathon finish in four starts was third place in 2018.

Farah returned to the track in a failed bid to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics, then shifted back to the roads.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!